Planning to book a tour direct with local operators

kiwijo

A day at our local cruise terminal yesterday made me think the following advice might be useful. Several passengers were holding private tour booking documents; with just a little more details, it would have been easier to connect them with their operator. Bookings made via websites often have the contact details of the booking website, rather than the tour operator. And if it's a weather-dependent activity like diving, cycling or similar, contact details are really important.

If you're booking a tour direct with local operators or through third party websites, I'd highly suggest:

- Getting not only the name of the tour, but who operates it. For example, in big cities there's probably a number of companies operating a City Highlights Tour, so make sure you note City Highlights Tour operated by Smiley Bus Company.

- Get a local contact number, preferably mobile.

- Double check on whether it's a pick up at port, or elsewhere.

Cheers all,

Jo

• 3 weeks later...
A day at our local cruise terminal yesterday made me think the following advice might be useful. Several passengers were holding private tour booking documents; with just a little more details, it would have been easier to connect them with their operator. Bookings made via websites often have the contact details of the booking website, rather than the tour operator. And if it's a weather-dependent activity like diving, cycling or similar, contact details are really important.

If you're booking a tour direct with local operators or through third party websites, I'd highly suggest:

- Getting not only the name of the tour, but who operates it. For example, in big cities there's probably a number of companies operating a City Highlights Tour, so make sure you note City Highlights Tour operated by Smiley Bus Company.

- Get a local contact number, preferably mobile.

- Double check on whether it's a pick up at port, or elsewhere.

Cheers all,

Jo

I agree with you Jo the ports are always full of people with signs with tours on them and it can get confusing. So if you can take with you as much information on what tour you are doing it will come in very handy. We were glad we had it in Fiji and Noumea on our last cruise.

As we like to book private tours with local guides .We always like to print out and take with us a list.

*With the port of call

* a contact name and phone number of the company or person doing our tour

*what time and where they are going to meet us.

* a description of the the car or van they will be using.

*a copy of the receipt if we have already paid or copy of the agreed amount for the tour.

I love your tip about taking also the name of the tour and I will remember that for next time.

Thanks

Thank you Jo for this excellent information and reminder. This would be information that would do you no good if you left it on your computer at home.

For those people with 'smart phones', I employ the free app Evernote for tasks like this. Evernote can be downloaded to both your home computer and your phone, and then share a common database, linking the two together. I use it almost daily for my To Do list reminders and shopping lists (make them at home and then open the phone at the store). I also store LOTS of info that I can't always remember...like my truck and trailer license plate numbers for when we check in at campgrounds and I can just look at the phone instead of walking back out and writing them down (since I couldn't remember them both!)

You do NOT need internet access at the time you need access to the data, as the info is 'refreshed' from your computer to your phone almost immediately (if your phone has wifi access at that time) and then it just 'resides' there until needed. And if you are somewhere w/out wifi and update one of your lists on your phone (as in remembering something to add to a 'to do' list) then that action will be stored on your phone, and saved until you do have internet access.

And if one wants to get the 'paid' version you can link that same info. with other people (like your spouse). Lots of teachers use this for interfacing classroom assignments with students and parents.

Steve

Archived