Is Mass held @ La Sagrada Familia?

We will be docked in Barcellona on a Sunday and La Sarada Familia is a definate on our planned must sees. I was wondering, do they actually say Catholic masses at the cathedral? If so does anyone know where I can find a schedule? Our plan is to do an "on your own" day here, seeing the Cathedral (hopefully attend mass), the Park Guell and whatever else we can fit in, before our ship leaves @ 5pm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Debbie

I believe that they do hold Church services in La Sagrada Familia. We visited the Cathedral 2 years ago and went up the top in one of the spires which was not available on our previous visit in 2000. I did see people in the main body of the church praying so I presume that mass is held there.

The hop on, hop off bus is the easiest way of getting to the Church and then going on to Parc Guell. We did it all that in one morning. Barcelonia is a great city to explore.

Jennie

No, just two weeks ago it was announced that the church will be open for mass in three years.

Quote:

"Giles Tremlett

Saturday June 4, 2005

The Guardian

It will have taken 126 years, but Barcelona's emblematic, eccentric cathedral-to-be, the Sagrada Familia, will be open for mass in three years' time. "

We were there in Nov. 03 and the entire floor of the church was covered with construction materials, scaffoldings and ladders - they were still in the process of completing it.

However, you can attend mass at the old Cathedral in the Gothic quarter - a short walk from the hop on and off bus stop. You can also watch the locals take part in their folk dance - sardana - right outside the old Cathedral after the masses.

We were there in Nov. 03 and the entire floor of the church was covered with construction materials, scaffoldings and ladders - they were still in the process of completing it.

However, you can attend mass at the old Cathedral in the Gothic quarter - a short walk from the hop on and off bus stop. You can also watch the locals take part in their folk dance - sardana - right outside the old Cathedral after the masses.

It is very important to my sister in law (who we are traveling with) to be able to attend mass there.

Thanks so much, I will pass this info on to her.

Debbie

Archived