How to cruise Venice?

trishp

My traveling companion and I are booked on the Grand, Barcelona to Venice, on July 13th. We arrive in Venice @ 12:30 p.m. at the end of our cruise so we should have a few hours to see a little of the city. We are not planning a Princess excursion as all we really want to do is take a boat trip through some of the city’s historic waterways, not necessarily in a gondola. Is it fairly easy to do this? Is language a problem because we speak no Italian? Also, we are both older females not able to do long walks. (Well not really that old, but with a few health problems!) Pretty pathetic, I know. :o Any information will be appreciated. We are also not interested in an evening trip as I want to take some photos.

The "city bus" in Venice is their "city boat" - -you can purchase a ticket and just ride the canal - sorry, I can't remember exactly how much.

The gondola is a bit more expensive because it's more for the tourists -- but it will take you on the small side canals (which you don't get on the city boat).

English is spoken -- but, of course, not everyone speaks. You might just want to have your questions written down - maybe from a phrase book in the library.

I love Venice !!! Have a wonderful time.

Wow, we were in Venice last summer on the Star Princess. It was great! My recommendation is stay longer. Any time less than two days in Venice is like only having one lick of a really good ice cream cone.

Public Transportation, their city bus, is a convient way to get around. It is called the Vaporetto and it is very simple to use. You will end up taking a shuttlebus to the Piazzale Roma (The transportation Center) from there you can buy a Vaporetto day-pass. http://www.actv.it/english/home.php

The day pass will allow you to get on and off the Vaporetto as it goes up and down the canal. Take Route #1 called City Center. From there you will ride down the canal, under the Rialto Bridge and over to San Marco. Those are the biggies of Venice. It is a very easy walk through San Marco to the Accademia. That will give you an idea of the streets of Venice. There is something about walking in St. Mark's Square that is just delightful.

Cross the Accademia bridge and you will be at the Vaporetto stop to take you back to the transportation center. From there you can transfer to Airport Boat, the Alilaguna http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

With such a short time, don't even try to go inside St. Mark's, the Doge's Palace, Accademia, or any of the many galleries or churches. There is too much to do outside.

We found Venice very safe, providing you don't do silly tourist stuff like wave money about. Watch out for pick pockets in very crowded areas.

Have a wonderful holiday.

As previous poster said, the Vaporetto is fantastic. Additionally, it pulls up right against all the stops so that, even if you have luggage on wheels, you never have to lift it. This is the mode of transport for most Venetians (who are getting older as younger seek fortune elsewhere). Everyone speaks English, at least enough English to be helpful.

Venice is a walking city. There are few hills, but lots of steps over bridges. As also mentioned by another poster, I urge you to stay an extra night or two..because the best of Venice is early in the morning or in the evening after the sun sets (when the day trippers have left). We've spent several weeks there in recent years and never felt un-safe. You could probably extend your stay for $120- $150 per night hotel room (including breafast) (check out the Hotel Galleria in Dorsoduro...very close to St. Marc's, overlooking grand canal, but very affordable). and there are cheap eats all over the place. (to be honest, the bar food is much better than the restaurant meals...this is not the best place to sample italian fare. bars pride themselves in their happy-hour bites of squid and other lovely things).

If you're only there for a few hours, try to see St. Marc's Square, the pinnacle of tourism (and pigeons). A few vaporetto stops away (5 minutes), stop at the Rialto Market. You can't miss this stop because there's a large, ornate bridge crossing the canal. This is the open-air market where all things strange are pulled from the sea and sold still crawling and slithering. There are horse meat shops and great coffee and sexy pasta (past in the shapes of private parts). Or, if walking is a problem, just ride the Vaporetto up and down the grand canal. The buildings, sinking slowly in moss and decay, are fascinating, both for their architecture and their longevity.

Our first visit to Venice was on our honeymoon. To be honest, I didn't appreciate it while we were there because -- sad to say -- I kept thinking it was fake in the back of my mind. Like Disney or the Venetian in Vegas (which I haven't seen, but you know what I mean). Everything seemed to perfect. Like props on a soundstage. Anyway, once we were gone, I pined for it...and even though we've returned for long stretches, I'm ready to go back again : )

Thank's everyone for your input. Sounds like Vaporetto is the was to go. I wish we had made plans to stay over a couple of days, but unfortunately we have to return home after our short visit. Maybe we will be able to go back next year. One more question for Blamar...since we will be coming off and returning to the ship, where do we catch the shuttlebus that will take us to Piazzale Roma (transportation center) and do we also catch a shuttlebus from there back to the ship? Also for Sandiego619....do you live in San Diego, CA? If so, we are practically neighbors. I live in Murrieta. Thanks again!

Hi Triship

You will be able to catch the shuttle at the cruise terminal when you get off the ship. It should be just at the gate. Then catch it at the same place it will let you off at the Piazzale Roma. Things are not marked all that well so make sure you check with the driver. I tend to take a digital picture of the place we are supposed to meet and any significant location markers. That way I have a reminder. Nice thing about digital cameras.

I did a weekend in Venice last year when I had a business assignment in Milan. It was so easy! Above info is great. I spent 2 hours just sitting on a bench in San Marco Square watching the people and the pigeons. I created a 3x5 card with some basic Italian words, because most people appreciate a little effort even if you must switch back to English.

Archived