New Orleans day before boarding cruise

backnine05

Was wondering if some fellow cruisers or locals could help me out...

What are some good hotels to stay the night before? We are looking for a hotel that offers a parking package or less than the $16/day. I'd like to be near the port and some good restaurants..

What is a must eat restaurant that serves some poboys and seafood?

Are there any places to visit that would let me truly appreciate the city?

Thanks in advance for your help, it may be the only time I will be in NOLA and we would like to make the best of it

There are plenty of places to stay, and a handful with a park and cruise package deal. If you just plan on staying one day before then you'd probably be good to look at the Holiday Inn Superdome.

Food - Deanies, at Dauphine and Iberville

Johnny's Poboy's on St. Louis near Decatur

Cafe Amelie, on Royal near the Andrew Jackson hotel

Oliviers on Decatur near Iberville

If you get tired of all the good places to eat in the Quarter you can run out to Metairie and hit Phil's Grill, best "burger by the coloring book" type restaurant I have ever had.

Places to visit? Go see the Quarter by foot, hit a swamp tour, do the things that make it a great city.

Also, watch the marine traffic website and get up at 4:30am to watch your ship come up the river and dock, that's one of our new traditions.

Is the Holiday Inn near the Port? How do you get to the port the morning of the cruise? Do you know what time shuttles leave or the price of a cab?

Is there sufficient parking for restraunts in NOLA or is it best to take a cab?

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Garden District. They offer free cruise parking with a 1 night stay. You also get the great breakfasts for free that all Hampton Inns offer. I think our room ran us $150. My wife could never get the cruise package coupon code to work from this website, new orleans hampton inns DOT com /specials/ (no spaces) but I called Clara and was able to get things squared away. The cab ride was $7 per person each way.

As far as food goes, we ate at Mulates. We took the trolley from the Garden District and walked the rest of the way. An all day pass on the trolley runs $3 and runs from the Garden District to the French Quarter until about 2am.

We sail on the Conquest Apr 2013. We're staying at the Hoilday Inn Superdome on a cruise package. Park at the Hoilday Inn, shuttle to the port, taxi back. It looks like it is in walking distance to FQ. We will find out in April. :D:D

It is a long walk to the quarter, particularly to the area near Jackson Square. The holiday inn super dome has a shuttle but I don't know the details. Worst case scenario is a cab to the port will run you less than 20 dollars. The quarter would be an ok walk before dinner but the walk back would probably seem really really far, especially if you have a few drinks.

I have no information as I've never cruised out of New Orleans but you definitely need to go to Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter and if you want some tasty food possibly stop in at Palace Cafe (on Canal) as the Bananas Fosters is divine. I've been at lunch during the week and it seemed business casual was fine. Not sure how the weekends or brunch would be though.

I think another thread had some people recommending a Quality Inn or La Quinta in Gretna with a park and sail deal, free shuttle to the French Quarter, etc. It is across the river but might work with keeping the costs down.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually stay near the airport. The savings in the rooms more than pay for the cost of a cab to the port.

Just walk down Bourbon St. and you'll find a lot of great places to eat! I'm going in few weeks. Can't wait for muffelata and an oyster po-boy! Not at the same time...I'm staying 2 nights!

Was wondering if some fellow cruisers or locals could help me out...

What are some good hotels to stay the night before? We are looking for a hotel that offers a parking package or less than the $16/day. I'd like to be near the port and some good restaurants..

Just did a Priceline bid of $60 and got Marriott Convention Center right by the port. (for september) . Go to price line and "name your price" I selected 4 star hotels and put a bid at $60. The normal booking for this room was $149.

Worth a shot!

Is the trolley that goes into the garden district wheelchair accessible, my chair folds up and I can take steps, any information would be appreciated

Hi,

This is from the RTA site.

"The green St. Charles Avenue streetcars that travel the St. Charles Avenue line do not contain accessibility equipment. Modification of these historic streetcars is limited and requires consultation with and the prior approval of the State Historic Preservation Office".

However, try this site as it might be helpful to you.

http://www.norta.com/accessibility/Riding_with_Disabilities/index.html

Hope this helps.

Jorge

do they offer cruise parking?

Just did a Priceline bid of $60 and got Marriott Convention Center right by the port. (for september) . Go to price line and "name your price" I selected 4 star hotels and put a bid at $60. The normal booking for this room was $149.

Worth a shot!

• 4 weeks later...

Worth a shot!

Which area did you use for that bid?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone stayed at the Super 8 on Chef Menteur Hwy? If I stay a night pre cruise and a night post cruise can I park free for the duration of the cruise? Also, how much is the cab fare to the port from the motel?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Darcy

Has anyone stayed at the Super 8 on Chef Menteur Hwy? If I stay a night pre cruise and a night post cruise can I park free for the duration of the cruise? Also, how much is the cab fare to the port from the motel?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Darcy

That area is not a good one to stay in. The hotel is next to an abandoned hotel and there are streetwalkers on Chef Hwy all the time.

That area is not a good one to stay in. The hotel is next to an abandoned hotel and there are streetwalkers on Chef Hwy all the time.

We're coming in from Las Vegas. Streetwalkers are high-class citizens compared to a lot of the other residents of this city. LOL. Thanks for the input anyway.

Darcy

We're coming in from Las Vegas. Streetwalkers are high-class citizens compared to a lot of the other residents of this city. LOL. Thanks for the input anyway.

Darcy

Nevermind the streetwalkers. That would be the least of my concerns. This is not a safe area. I highly recommend you find somewhere else. This area is considered New Orleans East. Anything to east of the industrial canal is NOT where you want to be. Seriously, it is a very dangerous area. You will be a prisoner in your hotel room. I would not go to any restaurants, fast food places, grocery stores, etc. You will also stand out as a target which makes it worse. Since it is not a tourist area (and most tourists avoid it) it makes you even more obvious.

I have an uncle that is a New Orleans cop. Trust me on this one.

Nevermind the streetwalkers. That would be the least of my concerns. This is not a safe area. I highly recommend you find somewhere else. This area is considered New Orleans East. Anything to east of the industrial canal is NOT where you want to be. Seriously, it is a very dangerous area. You will be a prisoner in your hotel room. I would not go to any restaurants, fast food places, grocery stores, etc. You will also stand out as a target which makes it worse. Since it is not a tourist area (and most tourists avoid it) it makes you even more obvious.

I have an uncle that is a New Orleans cop. Trust me on this one.

We just returned from a trip to New Orleans. We loved it!

However, I did a lot of research and found out that there are definitely places to stay away from. Help from a local like World Gallery should be heeded. For instance, one restaurant where my husband wanted to go to advertised that the windows were "bullet proof glass." (We didn't go there). ;)

What about the Harvey/Westbank area?

I have had difficulty finding a hotel for February 2014. and I found availability at the Best Western Westbank in Harvey. Anyone familiar with this area?

Harvey is a mostly-industrial part and also suburban part of the New Orleans metro area, on the west bank of the Mississippi River. It is on the "other side" of the river from downtown New Orleans. It is an okay area and safe (but use common sense as in any city), just not convenient in my opinion. You would have to catch the ferry or go over the bridge to get to the cruise port and to get to the part of New Orleans you would want to spend time in. It is not like New Orleans East. New Orleans East is downright dangerous.

Just my personal opinion, but if I were helping friends choose a hotel in the New Orleans area ore-cruise, this is the order I would suggest:

1st - French Quarter or CBD (Central Business District) - this is the area where the attractions are and there are lots of people around, which in and of itself makes it safer. (Personally would not book a hotel on Rampart, a street that is a border street of the French Quarter).

2nd - Garden District/St. Charles (Uptown) - but there aren't many hotels here. I wouldn't walk around at night though. Less people around and you may walk into an area that isn't safe. This area is connected by Street Car to the French Quarter area.

3rd - Metaire - suburban part of Greater New Orleans area. Closer to the cruise port than Kenner.

4th - Kenner - where the airport is located so may be a good option for those flying into New Orleans. Another suburban part of New Orleans.

5th- Covington - Northshore of New Orleans (on Priceline's map, it will be called Northshore New Orleans). Newer hotels (some very new) here. If you are driving from a state that is north of New Orleans, you may be passing through this area already. It is off of I-12. More upscale suburban area of New Orleans. Some attractions that are nature oriented. This area would move up in order if driving from the north. It is about a 45 minute drive to the cruise port. You would travel over the Causeway Bridge. You could probably get the best prices here since it is the farthest away.

6th - West Bank (Gretna, Harvey) - Personally, I never liked the unpredictable nature of any ferry system. You could use the bridge but that adds driving time, traffic, etc.

NEVER - New Orleans East

I didn't name all areas of the Greater New Orleans area because not all areas have hotels (or have very few).

Hope this helps.

Most big name hotels on the westbank are decent enough. There is no toll anymore for the bridge over the river.

Covington/Mandeville area have a $3 toll to cross the causeway. The bridge is a marvel by it's self.

World Gallery and Human Speedbump.....

You both seem to be quite familiar with New Orleans. We've tentatively booked rooms at the Best Western Plus - French Quarter on North Rampart Street. Can you tell me anything about the hotel? Is it a safe area?

Anyone else that has any info - it would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I grew up being taught by my parents (who grow up here as well as their parents) to avoid Rampart Street (a popular theater borders Rampart but they offer guarded and gated parking (with armed policemen) , of which we use. For me, it is a bit too close for comfort to the areas I would not dare go into. The French Quarter deteriorates as you head from Bourbon Street towards Rampart Street, and at Rampart and above, it's not good. Rampart has typically been sort of the dividing line between "okay & NOT safe", particularly after dark. Rampart really is not "in" the French Quarter but technically it is the border of it. One wrong turn and you could find yourself in a bad situation.

I much prefer (and usually park at when going to the French Quarter) hotels on Canal St that are closer to the River and hotels on Poydras close to the river. Some hotels that are in good locations are one like Hilton, The Westin Canal Place, Harrah's and the Marriot on Canal (You can use Google maps to see these locations). Also, the smaller hotels very much in the French Quarter around Jackson Square but not pass Bourbon. I understand these are the more expensive ones but these hotels can serve as a guide in regards to the better locations.

Also, all of these areas have more people in and around them and have businesses open very late, which makes them safer.

The reality is, pricing in and around New Orleans usually very much reflects location. If the price is lower or to good to be true, it probably isn't the best location.

Archived