Any One Take Dance Lessons Before you Cruise?

My husband and I are taking Ballroom lessons. We are in our 40s an we are

learining Fox Trot, Rumba, Tango and Salsa.

We are having a great time. Mind you we just started so we are still in the walking stage. But soon you'll all wish you were us.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Explorer of the Seas 10/16/05

Freedom of the Seas 10/29/06

Guest OBAYbee

We are having a great time. Mind you we just started so we are still in the walking stage. But soon you'll all wish you were us.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Nope, I haven't. But what a good idea!

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Congrats to the both of you! I think it's great when a couple starts dancing together.

Might I, as a ballroom teacher, make a suggestion. Add swing to your repertoire. You'll find you will get a lot of use out of it.

And be sure to take time to learn to recognize the music. An exercise I like my couples (or single ladies) to do is sit with their backs to the floor (in the studio of course) and see if they can determine what should be danced to whatever song is playing, then they can check the floor to see if they're right.

Have fun with your lessons. And get a lot of use from them on your cruises. :)

DH and I FINALLY took dance lessons this past April and had a wonderful time! We had the opportunity to put them to the test at his 50th high school reunion a couple of weeks back, and it was soooo much fun! Mind you, DH started with 2 left feet, and still has 1 1/2 of 'em, but we danced and danced and danced. First time at a dance we didn't just stand there and shuffle back and forth. Even his ol' classmates commented that they'd never seen him dance before, not even at their prom . . . he said it just took the right woman to get him movin'..... Mind you, we're not Fred and Ginger!!

We're going to do a lot of dancing in a few weeks on the Empress . .

Michele

My DH and I took dance lessons beofre our wedding in 1991. We laugh because more lessons were learned there than our "pre-marriage" counseling. I'm very type A he's very laid back. I would lead a move, he's supposed to lead. It was too funny. We learned a lot about ourselves through that course. We didn't set the floor a blaze.....and as I recall he totally blanked out at our reception and heard people laugh, boo, and yell "Get your money back!" We just laughed and made up our own dance. It was a great experience, and maybe more dance lessons- when we are not so stressed would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the great idea! (The couple that plays together, stays together!)

Karen

"Gumbert Family Cruiser"

We always say we're going to take lessons but somehow never do.

We look forward to taking the lessons on the ship. We've done it

on three different cruises and really have a lot of fun. You think you're

the worst ones there but then when you look around you realize there

are always people doing worse than you. We have found that some

instructors are better than others but we have fun laughing at each

other none the less. When my BF gets too confused he breaks out

into his version of "riverdance" . It cracks me up everytime.

Guest OBAYbee
We always say we're going to take lessons but somehow never do.

We look forward to taking the lessons on the ship. We've done it

on three different cruises and really have a lot of fun. You think you're

the worst ones there but then when you look around you realize there

are always people doing worse than you. We have found that some

instructors are better than others but we have fun laughing at each

other none the less. When my BF gets too confused he breaks out

into his version of "riverdance" . It cracks me up everytime.

LMAO!!!

We started taking dancing lessons about four years ago when my brother-in-law announced his engagement. Thought it would be fun after 22 years of marriage to be able to dance at someone's wedding! We really enjoy it but when we took our cruise last February on the Grandeur, we found it difficult to actually dance because the floor was always so crowded.

And I agree about the "swing" ... we do more swing dances than any other type!

We took beginning lessons before our cruise last week--always been meaning to, and just hadn't done it. Didn't do it just because of the cruise, but it was an added excuse to finally do it.

We did twelve weeks of lessons and learned the foxtrot, rumba, waltz, swing, cha-cha, and tango. But outside of out-of-class get togethers at the dance studio, the cruise was our first chance to try out our new skills.

We missed one ballroom dance session in Dizzy's (we were on the Explorer). Once passing through the Aquarium/Latin Bar we found the band doing a rumba, and we started dancing that just as they finished the song and began yet another salsa. We wished we'd taken salsa lessons! We watched the people doing various versions of the salsa, and we almost thought we had it figured out, but didn't quite have the nerve to do it ourselves.

At another ballroom dance session in Dizzy's, they were playing a lot of swing, and I really don't much care for swing, so we passed. And then the band would play a slow foxtrot or slow waltz, and we'd start to get up, only to find the dance floor crowded with people doing a generic slow-dance box step. :confused: Kinda hard to waltz through that.

I guess we needed a little more real-world practice before the cruise....

Archived