First time crusing with oxygen

Cathy p

Cathy,I've cruised multiple times, but I only require oxygen at night for sleeping.

My home machine is too bulky to bring with me (flying), so I've rented home-sized units for delivery to the ship. I've also rented portable concentrators locally and brought them with me.

Celebrity was the 1st line where the steward did not post a No Smoking -- Oxygen in Use sign on my door. I assume that is because Celebrity is all no-smoking in the cabins.

You will find a lot more information on the specifics on different types of oxygen equipment over on the Disabled Cruising board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

This is our first cruise where I will have oxygen. Has anyone ever had a problem with having oxygen?

Hi Cathy

If you are talking about pure Oxygen ( in tanks ) you should contact the cruise line and inform them of your use.

If you are talking about a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) I believe you don't have to do anything, because there is no oxygen involved in their use. The POC removes the Nitrogen from the surrounding air and delivers just Oxygen to the patient. (That is just a simple explanation of a POC)

My wife carries her POC on aircraft and there are no problems, the only thing she needs is a letter from her Lung Doctor stating that she requires the use of her POC at night.

Hope this will help you!

This is our first cruise where I will have oxygen. Has anyone ever had a problem with having oxygen?

We just recently cruised on Eclipse and my mom uses a oxygen concentrator and my husband a CPAP machine. We filled out a Celebrity Special Needs form and emailed it back to Celebrity and had no problems. They provided a extension cord for the machines and distilled water as well. We drove so brought our own machines and handed the concentrator off at baggage claim(put a luggage tag on it) and it arrived in our room with no issues. You can rent them and have them delivered to the ship, but it is kind of expensive.

I have attached the form we used. Have a great cruise!

CEL_Special_Needs_Form_July_2011.pdf

I have the big concentrator that I use at night and tanks during the day. The last time I rented one of the portable ones, they did not last long before you have to plug them in. I also have to have oxygen all night and then trot around during the day with something. Any other info on good portables would be great.

Archived