Displaced Cruiser

I have been on Royal but it was once in 1999. It was my very first cruise and only a three day but I remember it being wonderful, of course all firsts are. I am sure that many things have changed in that length of time as they have on other lines.

That first cruise had me hooked and since then have been on Princess, and now all these yeas later, I am at Diamond level on Carnival. That line just seemed to fit our schedules most often and after we reached platinum level, it was difficult to change and give up the perks.

Now I am in a situation where I had a cruise planned with 4 sisters at the end of April and my cruise was canceled by Carnival. I have to arrange vacation time at the first of each year so I cannot rebook a longer cruise, or a cruise on a different date and I really don't want to sit home. the only thing on Carnival that fits the schedule is the Bahamas which no longer appeals to me.

The only thing I can find in the same dates with ports I would enjoy is Jewel of the Seas on Royal. Now though, the sisters have decided not to go through the hassle of rebooking a cruise, airline, tranport, etc so if I go I will be going solo. This would be a first for me. I always travel with my husband or family.

Should I go for it? Is There enough to do on Royal to keep a solo traveler happy? How different is Royal than Carnival? Would it be easy to adjust?

Yes, Go for it, I have traveled as a single and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Everyone was very friendly, they have a few different single meet and greets. Although I travel with my husband now, we always meet singles. Not to mention if you join the Jewel roll call you will meet people in advance.

Excellent responses! Though traveling solo I am not single. My husband just can't accompany me on this trip due to a prior obligation. This week was supposed to be a girls cruise.

I have been lurking a bit and it seems Royal has a more to offer in regards to entertainment. I think I would enjoy that tremendously. I miss the Vegas style shows that Carnival used to have as well as the steel drums on the lido they replaced by A DJ. ( I am getting older but club music on the Lido just doesn't fit my idea of a cruise atmosphere)

I guess the switch from the familiar is what makes me uncomfortable. I know on Carnival which wine package I want. What days are formal nights etc. And I just saw there are no shorts in the dining room. Is this true. I don't mind dressing but sometimes I wear a nice short set on non formal nights.

And how formal is formal. Do I need a gown or is a cocktail dress appropriate?

I have to say that I might really enjoy the more elegant atmosphere, I have just gone with the flow as the dress code became more relaxed on Carnival over the years. On elegant nights, I felt over dressed if I did something more than a cocktail dress in recent years, though when I first started cruising, It was always formal wear. Because I have to fly and luggage is at additional costs, I never complained of course.

I would need to get to know about all the different drink packages and what restaraunts are for an additional fee etc. So much to learn changing brands.

Jewel is my favorite ship, and is a great ship for solo cruising.

Formal is not very formal at all. A cocktail dress (or even less formal) will be fine.

Yes, the no shorts in the dining room at dinner has been enforced IME

The additional fee restaurants are Chop's ($25 - steakhouse) and Portofino ($20 Italian). Both are good but I prefer Portofino if I go to one at all. There is also a charge for the coffee drinks at Caffe Lattetudes.

Archived