Trying to find the right cruise for Mom - all suggestions welcome

kobe

Hi,

My sisters and I are trying to plan a cruise for our mom's 80th bday. We wanted to do an extended family cruise but complicated schedules and cost are making that difficult.

Our next choice is to send mom and a good friend. Both women will be close to 80 - mom is in better health and will try just about anything. Her friend doesn't quite have the same energy.

They would prefer to leave out of NY so I think that pretty much limits us to Bermuda.

We're concerned about how they would do in Bermuda - getting around, amount of walking - suggestions on what they can do while they're there.

If they end up leaving out of FL for the Caribbean what ports would you suggest - looking for something low key that's easy to get to.

Thanks for your help.

I think they would enjoy Bermuda, but not during the hottest part of the summer. We went on 4/24 out of Norfolk and the weather was perfect. Not too hot and a nice breeze most of the time.

Bermuda is safe and colorful. She will be there 4 days, which is just right. There are many excursions they can choose from on the ship, or they can just shop to their heart's content on Front Street. We found it much more appealing than the Caribbean, no one trying to sell straw goods or braid your hair.

We just suggested this cruise (out of NY) to my husband's 78-year-old aunt who lives in Manhattan.

Hope this helps.

MissM

Actually, there are more options out of NY. NCL has yearly cruises out of NY (however, NCL would NOT be my first choice in a cruise line). Several lines offer Canada/New England out of NY and some other lines offer very spotty Caribbean cruises out of NY. All considered, my first choice would be a "Celebrity" to Bermuda. 4 days in Bermuda, very low key, relaxing and no rushing, do what you want, when you want, walk off the ship and Main St is right there. We took Mom & dad a couple of years ago (at the time they were mid-70's) they LOVED it!!!!!Has she been before?

How about suggestions on the time of year? Nice to be retired and able to go at any time....

April sounded nice, but I want to be sure its warm enough for them to swim.

They're never been to Bermuda - never been on a cruise.

Thanks

They'd never be able to swim in Bermuda in April...probably not in May either. The problem with Bermuda is that unless you go during the summer months, it isn't going to be all that warm. I would suggest maybe June; just before all the kids are out of school but before Hurricane Season is in full swing. If you select later in the summer (August, September), you have to be prepared for a hurricane. While this isn't usually a problem in the Caribbean (they will just switch itineraries), Bermuda cruises are either cancelled or rerouted to Canada (not exactly a tropical cruise when that happens). It's just that the ship can't get from NY to the Caribbean and back in a 7 day cruise, so that should be a consideration if you elect for a Bermuda cruise.

BTW, I do think a Bermuda cruise would be lovely and not to strenuous for your mother and her friend.

[email="caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net"]caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net[/email]

I think I like the idea of early June. We went in early September and caught a little of Hurricane Fabian. It didn't affect our cruise much but the one leaving right after us was rerouted to Canada. Not a bad place to cruise but certainly disappointing if you think you're going someplace warm.

Any opinions as to a cabin location for them? Are the new CC cabins worth the money?

Thanks

Archived