HOW DO YOU GET TO RED HOOK, ST THOMAS FROM THE PIER?

BrodyBarb

I need info on where Destiny docks in St.Thomas and how you can get to RED HOOK (plus cost)to take the ferry to St. John. Does it work out cheaper (15-20 mins @ $3 each way for adults) or should I board a ferry at Charlotte Amalie (45mins @ $7 each way for adults). How to I get to either? Thanks!

BrodyBarb

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;22;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Destiny Sept 22 04

The Destiny will most likely dock at Havensight. If Havensight is full, there are other options and your captain will make you aware of them before you disembark.

Regardless of where you dock, taxis are in abundance and you can easily grab one to Red Hook to take the ferry to St. John. The ferry runs more frequently between Red Hook and St. John than it does between Charlotte Amalie and St. John. It's worth the ride to Red Hook just for the convenience.

For ferry schedules, check this site out:

http://*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

You're going to love St. Thomas/ St. John.

Linda grin.gif

NCL Sky - 1/03

NCL Sun - 1/02

We are going back to St Thomas in Jan. Everytime we go to St. Thomas we say we are going to go to St. John. I'm alittle unsure of the unknown. When we get to St. John what do we do then? Are there taxi's that will take you on a tour of the island. If so how much do they run. Any other suggestion are appreciated.

Sea Princess 2000

Grandeur of the Seas 2001

Infinity 2002

Exployer of the Seas 2003

Radiance of the Seas 2004

upcoming Adventure of Seas Jan. 2005

rkaplan, one of the favorite things to do on STJ - especially if it's your first visit - is to take a taxi to Trunk Bay to beach and snorkel. There's an underwater snorkeling trail there, and beach itself is gorgeous.

Taxis are plentiful when you get off the pier in Cruz Bay and most would be more than happy to give you an island tour for a set price (I'd recommend agreeing on the fee before setting off).

There are many, many other things to do on the island - the above link for VINow is a great info source.

B.

Ship_at_island.gif

"Good God, he's talking with parrots - Painting his dreams in the sand

Piling up beaucoup demerits, Doing it just 'cause he can

But Peter Pan would understand His schemes and dreams and ploys

Best keep an eye on his slight hand, He's such an altered boy"

-- James W. Buffett

Carnival Triumph, April '02

Carnival Sensation, January '04

Golden Princess, April '04

Carnival Sensation, Golden Princess / Caribbean Princess pix at: Cool Cruisin' Pix

e-mail: bobandkarenny@yahoo.com

Trunk Bay is a great beach for first time snorkeling. I would also recommend Cinnamon Bay. It is much less crowded, there is no charge, and you can also rent snorkel equipment.

It is also worthwhile to go to the Annenberg Sugar Mill ruins for the great view of all the islands.

For lunch, there is a nice restaurant in Mongoose Junction shopping center in Cruz Bay.

The center itself has several nice but pricey shops which you will not se in St. Thomas.

The Red Hook Ferry runs more frequently and on a more regular schedule than the Charlotte Amalie Ferry.

The time it takes for you to get from HAvensight (where your ship docks) to St. John is about the same with either ferry.

If you take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie, it will take you about 45 minutes.

If you go from Red Hook, it will take you about 15-20 minutes by cab to get to the ferry dock and from there it's about another 15-20 minutes by ferry to St. John.

For more ferry informatiom, check out:

http://*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Linda grin.gif

NCL Sky - 1/03

NCL Sun - 1/02

When we went to St thomas we took the Red Hook ferry to get to St John's and the Charlotte Amalia ferry to get back to the boat. If you notice on the above linked site it gives ferry times. The ones in Charlotte Amalia do not start until 9am. Then it is a 45 minute ride to St John's. The Red Hook ferrys start earlier. We caught the 8 am ferry and got there at approx. 8:30 am, so we saved 1 hour and 15 minutes by doing so. The cab ride was $16 and then the money for the ferry so it did cost more but we really wanted to get there earlier. We were aboard the Destiny and it docked at Havensight. There was an abundance of taxis waiting when we got off the baot at 7:00. Be prepared to wait though as the drivers hate to leave without a full taxi. We waited almost 35 minutes but made the ferry on time.

Once on St John's we went to the National park office (a 5 minute walk tops) to get a hiking map. We then walked back to the dock and got a taxi to take up to the start of the trail we wanted to take (Cinnamon Bay). We hiked and then went to the beach. There were maybe 30 people or so on the beach while we were there. Everythign can be rented right there and you can get drinks there. We caught a taxi from there to go back and catch the ferry. FYI, there are two places where you can stop and take pics. Gogeous views!! Be sure to ask your drivers to stop when you are getting in the taxi. Got a picture of trunk bay and there were SOOO many more people. Hawksnest Bay looked awesome too, we will try that when we go next time.

Yah, we did the same thing. Took ferry to Red Hook, and when we were done on St John took Ferry to Charlotte Amalie. It was nice and relaxing and we so enjoyed the trip we did on our own.

After getting back to port, we just walked through town and shopped and ate ;)

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in St. Thomas on the Princess Caribbean Princess at the end of August.

Which ferry should we use from where the CP docks? It sounds as if the Red Hook is faster? Is it better to use the Red Hook Ferry? Do the 2 different ferries drop off at different places on St. John's?

Once to get to the ferry and purchase a round trip ticket, do the ferry's run on the hour and is it first come first serve?

How far is St. John's from the ferry drop off?

Is there a fee to enter Trunk Bay? Does Trunk Bay have restrooms and a cold drink place?

How lmuch time should we allow to get to St. John's (Trunk Bay) and back to the Caribbean Princess? We will dock from 7:00 am-6:00 so I would think we would clear Customs and be able to get off by 9:00 am and need to be back before 5:00 pm?

About how much should we budget for taxi's and water taxi's and Trunk Bay fees?

Thanks for your help! We have never been so I want to have all the info we can. I have read evrything I can but want to make sure my info is correct! Would hate to miss the ship :(

Archived