Drunk or drunk

hockeypapa

When discussing alcohol 'content' it is referred to in percentage of volume. There's a heck of a lot more alcohol in liquor than in wine and beer of the same volume. The poster you challenged was correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are totally missing the point. THe fact remains that if yoiu drink 1 beer, 1 glass of wine or

1.5 ozs of liquor you consume the same amount of alcohol.

You are totally missing the point. THe fact remains that if yoiu drink 1 beer, 1 glass of wine or

You're right but the poster was referring to the alcohol 'content' of a beverage and you said he was wrong when actually he was correct.

Put another way, drink 4 beers tonight and then drink 4 12 oz. glasses of straight Jack Daniels tomorrow, let us know how that works out for ya! ;)

the original point was a diplomatic way of asking about sneaking booze on board...pour it in empty plastic water bottles, tighten caps carefully, put bottles in strong zip bag, place in center of luggage.

done it for years. all stewards saw the bottles, and after they do, they keep the ice and sodas well stocked in your room :D some folks on here will fuss about this. it's not allowed:p...

Remember, they still get their $ from you when you bring wine with the corkage fee....

You can keep the bottle(s) of wine in your frig and the water goblets make nice wine glasses. No fee to pour for yourself if you don't take it to the MDR! Each adult can bring one 750ml bottle of wine in their carry-on. My daughter is the wine drinker, so we each packed her favorite, and she had 3 bottles for the week. She had no problem going back and forth to the room for her refills!

The original point was that there is more alcohol (as in more drinks) in a bottle of liquor versus a bottle of wine.

OP, it's their ship and their rules (and most mainstream lines have similar rules).

But the 5 Ounces of wine is all wine therefore by your argument it has 1/5th the alcohol content of liquor.

I think the person who made the comment about the alcohol content being the same was talking more about the amount of alcohol that it takes to get you drunk (content by drink, if you'd prefer) rather than alcohol content per type of beverage.

One drink is 1.25 oz. of 80 proof liquor, 12 oz. of beer, or 5 oz. of table wine. Now, there are some mixed drinks that I think naturally use more than 1.25 oz of liquor, especially drinks that have more than one kind of liquor in it. Using the chart at http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/bac-charts/, a 180-pound man could drink 4 drinks (doesn't matter what kind) and have a BAC of 0.08. However, for every 40 minutes drinking, you can subtract 0.1. So, at one drink every ten minutes, that 180-pound man would have a BAC of 0.07.

Now, if Carnival mixes your drinks for you, they can control the alcohol and therefore be more what your consumption should be--this helps them by you buying more but also helps to prevent alcohol-related behavior/disruptions, or even minimizes the people who may black out, pass out in their own vomit (which they'd have to clean up), or even death from alcohol poisoning. If you're able to mix your own drinks, you can make them stronger, and thus it increases their liability.

But the theory that the number of varieties and vintages of wine makes just as much sense as any other reason why wine is allowed on board whereas other drinks are not.

I think the person who made the comment about the alcohol content being the same was talking more about the amount of alcohol that it takes to get you drunk (content by drink, if you'd prefer) rather than alcohol content per type of beverage.

One drink is 1.25 oz. of 80 proof liquor(80 proof=40%Alcohol ABV 1.25x.40=.5 oz. 100% alcohol,

12 oz. of beer(at say 6%ABV= 12x.06 =.72oz 100% alcohol, or

5 oz. of table wine(at say 12% = 5 x .12 = .60 oz 100% alcohol.

Now, there are some mixed drinks that I think naturally use more than 1.25 oz of liquor, especially drinks that have more than one kind of liquor in it. Using the chart at http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/bac-charts/, a 180-pound man could drink 4 drinks (doesn't matter what kind) and have a BAC of 0.08. However, for every 40 minutes drinking, you can subtract 0.1. So, at one drink every ten minutes, that 180-pound man would have a BAC of 0.07.

This is fairly simple math, but you must realize it is general. All liquor is not 80 proof or 40%, all wine is not 12%, all beer is not 6%. It is a very accurate rule of thumb though.

Not true. One 12 oz beer, one 5 oz glass of wine and 1 oz of liquor all have the same amount of alcohol. 1 beer, 1 glass wine, 1 mixed drink; all equivalant !!

I have in front of me 2 12 oz.beers... one is 3.6% alcohol(which would be 7.2 proof) and one is 8% (which is 16 proof), several bottle of wine that run from 8% to 16% (16-32 proof) and various bottle of liquor that run from 40 proof to 190 proof (20% to 95%).

So exactly how do all these measure up to the "same" amount?

Now does every ounce of beer have the same amount of "booze" or is the total amount of beer (12 oz) have the total amount of booze? Same question for wine and liquor....

Another thought:

If one oz of beer has 7.2 proof of liquor then is 12 oz equal 12 x 7.2? nope

A beer would give you between 3.6 and 8 percent of 12 oz as liquor which would be between .43 and .96 oz of 100% liquor.

Wine would be between .4 to .8 oz of 100% liquor in 5 oz.

Finally the 1 oz of booze would be between .4 and .95 oz of 100% liquor.

All this tells me is that you cannot judge from one to the other. Vast difference between between each type of beer/wine/booze.

I have in front of me 2 12 oz.beers... one is 3.6% alcohol(which would be 7.2 proof) and one is 8% (which is 16 proof), several bottle of wine that run from 8% to 16% (16-32 proof) and various bottle of liquor that run from 40 proof to 190 proof (20% to 95%).

So exactly how do all these measure up to the "same" amount?

Now does every ounce of beer have the same amount of "booze" or is the total amount of beer (12 oz) have the total amount of booze? Same question for wine and liquor....

Another thought:

If one oz of beer has 7.2 proof of liquor then is 12 oz equal 12 x 7.2? nope

A beer would give you between 3.6 and 8 percent of 12 oz as liquor which would be between .43 and .96 oz of 100% liquor.

Wine would be between .4 to .8 oz of 100% liquor in 5 oz.

Finally the 1 oz of booze would be between .4 and .95 oz of 100% liquor.

All this tells me is that you cannot judge from one to the other. Vast difference between between each type of beer/wine/booze.

All your high to low ranges match pretty close

I think if we are going to debate this topic we all need to get on the same page and set some standards. We need to convert all proof measurements to %, we need to realize not all beer contains the same amount of alcohol per given volume, same with wine and spirits. All alcohol for consumption is ethyl alcohol, whether it's in beer, wine, or spirits, it's all exactly the same type, just differing volumes.

. If you use a 3% beer and a 90% spirit the comparison will be way off. Remember it's a general comparison. It works in most instances. The majority of beer is in the 4-6% range, wine 10-16%, spirits 40-50%. When you get outside these ranges the formula fails.

. The comparison allows one to judge the effect of consumption over time.

. If you drink 6-12oz. beers at 4.2% (=72oz@4.2%= 3oz ABV) in 1 hour,

you will have the same blood alcohol content as if you drank

. 6- 1 1/4 oz whiskeys at 40%(=7.5oz @ 40% =3oz ABV) in 1 hour.

Another rule of thumb is your body proccess 1oz of alcohol per hour

Put another way, drink 4 beers tonight and then drink 4 12 oz. glasses of straight Jack Daniels tomorrow, let us know how that works out for ya! ;)

You need to learn simple math. That is NOT what I said.

I have beer that is 14% ABV.

I'm sure you do. I would agree that this formula may not pertain in HIGH OCTANE alchohols. HOWEVER, these figures would be based on a NORMAL/AVERAGE beer, wine, liquor. Not everyone feels the need to drink a beer that contains 14% alcohol. ENJOY!

When discussing alcohol 'content' it is referred to in percentage of volume. There's a heck of a lot more alcohol in liquor than in wine and beer of the same volume. The poster you challenged was correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct in percentage of volume. I will add that it is expressed as (100%) alcohol by volume or ABV, example; 6% beer is 6% ABV no matter what the volume is. 6% is always 100% alcohol. If you have 100 oz. of 6% beer and you remove every bit of alcohol you will be left with 94 oz.

I'm sure you do. I would agree that this formula may not pertain in HIGH OCTANE alchohols. HOWEVER, these figures would be based on a NORMAL/AVERAGE beer, wine, liquor. Not everyone feels the need to drink a beer that contains 14% alcohol. ENJOY!

You misunderstand. A lot.

Are Beer and Wine Safer Than Liquor?

No. Alcohol is alcohol. It can cause you problems no matter how you consume it. One 12-ounce bottle of beer or a 5-ounce glass of wine (about a half cup) has as much alcohol as a 1.5-ounce shot of liquor.

The above came straight from the world wide web.......research it people !!! I learned this years ago. didn't believe it at first either

A 750 ml bottle of wine has a lot less alcohol than a 750 ml bottle of booze.

Archived