Dinning in Vancouver and Victoria

I asked the same questions a couple of years ago... but everything needs refreshing... right?

We will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront for a few days prior to our cruise in late May. I would love some restaurant recommendations. We tend to enjoy fine dinning, but really enjoy a true experience. (One of our favorite places in Vancouver is Rodney's Oyster Bar... I can hardly wait to visit!)

We will be docked in Victoria until 11pm, so looking forward to dinner there as well, something we've not had the luxury of doing. What do you recommend in Victoria?

Also, can someone tell me if there is a difference between American (New) cuisine and Canadian (New) cuisine?

Thanks!

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
We will be docked in Victoria until 11pm, so looking forward to dinner there as well, something we've not had the luxury of doing. What do you recommend in Victoria?

Thanks!

Suzanne

My favourite Victoria restaurant is Pagliacci's downtown on Broad Street. http://www.pagliaccis.ca/ It is noisy, funky, delicious and has great cheesecake and breadsticks. If you want to go a bit more upscale the Fairmount Empress is excellent but for atmosphere try out the Bengal Lounge in the Empress http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/thebengallounge/

Their curry at the supper buffet is fantastic.

Either way, walk along the inner harbour for a bit to take in Victoria summer ambience.

I asked the same questions a couple of years ago... but everything needs refreshing... right?

We will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront for a few days prior to our cruise in late May. I would love some restaurant recommendations. We tend to enjoy fine dinning, but really enjoy a true experience. (One of our favorite places in Vancouver is Rodney's Oyster Bar... I can hardly wait to visit!)

Also, can someone tell me if there is a difference between American (New) cuisine and Canadian (New) cuisine?

Thanks!

Suzanne

If you like Rodney's , you should probably try Chambar in Vancouver as well. As for Victoria, one of my favourite hole in the walls is Zambri's

My favourite Victoria restaurant is Pagliacci's downtown on Broad Street. http://www.pagliaccis.ca/ It is noisy, funky, delicious and has great cheesecake and breadsticks.

Either way, walk along the inner harbour for a bit to take in Victoria summer ambience.

Here's a second vote for Pagliaccis. While it isn't fine dining, the food (especially the bread) is mighty fine.

Here's a second vote for Pagliaccis. While it isn't fine dining, the food (especially the bread) is mighty fine.

I'll add a 3rd vote for Pag's, but with the caveat "for lunch". For dinner it's just too crowded to be enjoyable. However, the lunch soup/bread special is to die for...

Another huge fan of Pagliaccis however I am a dinner guy. A couple of martinis, some wine, the band and the social interaction between tables makes it a lot of fun. Never met a "Cabinet of Dr. Capelletti" that I didn't like.:D

...I would love some restaurant recommendations. We tend to enjoy fine dinning, but really enjoy a true experience.

Sorry I'm a bit late onboard this topic (just back from vacation) but since almost all replies focused on Victoria I'll chime in...

Hawksworth is IMO the only Vancouver restaurant that even comes close to a 'fine dining' *service* experience - you mentioned Canlis in your Seattle thread, this would be our Vancouver equivalent.

Personal favourites for fine food, semi-fine service (passionate & knowledgeable, rather than old-school European 'invisible waiters' service) would be Boneta and L'Abattoir.

Oru (inside the Fairmont Pac Rim) has a tremendous menu - a bunch of different dietary restriction options covering not just the currently-trendy Gluten Free but also Diabetic, Low Sodium etc. etc. I've only eaten there once so far, so I wouldn't normally recommend it, but since it's really close to your hotel and it was a very good meal with good service I'll risk it this time!

I'll assume your 'true experience' comment means if the food is good enough the environs and service can be forgiven and throw out some cheap & cheerful but genuinely tasty options - Foo's Ho Ho (have the Foo Yung!) and La Taqueria.

If you know Rodney's already, one thing we love to do is 'graze' around Yaletown - stopping off for one course and a matched beverage in several of the restos clustered around there, e.g. Caché Flying Pig Cactus Club (it may be a chain, but their beef Carpaccio, Tuna Tataki and Prawn Ravioli appies are right up there with the best in town), Blue Water if it's a quiet day and you can get a seat at the raw bar, then work our way up toward Robson to visit Hidden or down to marinaside to finish up at Provence's Wine Bar.

Also a few great-but-niche-options - if you're into charcuterie, sherry or both you can't go wrong with Salt (caveat - it is down a very skeevy alleyway, but taxis will drop you right at the door) and the next-door Judas Goat does great modern euro-tapas. For more old-school tapas, Sardine Can is fantastic but doesn't take resos, so go early or expect to wait.

As to the New Canadian vs New American - I've yet to find a good definition of what New Canadian actually is, but most often it seems a little less fusion and more locavore than New American is. Perhaps a little more focus on elk & caribou than bison & boar on the meats. Somewhat akin to the New Scandinavian that's thriving right now - very seasonal cuisine, lighter on the sauces, more about adding just enough of whatever brings out the key flavour of your showpiece ingredient. There's occasionally a foam or puree, especially if it's a dish with three different ways to cook the same core ingredient, but the whole molecular gastronomy concept never seemed to catch on as much as it did in the US.

Oh, and while it's a bit out of the way from the Fairmont I'd be remiss not to mention Bishop's over in Kitsilano - John Bishop was basically the guy who started the whole locavore food movement in this part of the world. Since you'll be here in Spot Prawn season (starts 9th May) I'd seriously consider a trip to Bishop's as they do wonderful, wonderful things with our local prawn & octopus - Hawksworth and Blue Water are probably the best bets for great Spot Prawn dishes nearer your hotel.

That's probably enough for you to chew on right now...

I'm all for Pag's, Il Terazzo, Zambri's and the Bengal Room in Victoria.

My fav. at Pag's is the Peter C. Newman Lasagna.

For an experience if you go to the Bengal Room it was designed to honour Rudyard Kipling who was a guest there twice. Other notable imbibers there include John Wayne, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope.

Sunday Brunch should include a stop at the Oak Bay Beach Marina.

For a lower level but unique Victoria experience try John's Place (featured on "You Gotta Eat Here" the Canadian eqwuivalent to Diners, Drive Inns and Dives) or the Ferris Oyster Bar where you can sit out in the back English garden and feast on a basket of mixed fires! Kennebeck potatoes and Yams seasoned in celery salt!

I wouldn't call it the Ritz by any stretch of the immagination but I love a little hole in the wall place in Gas Town called the Scottish Heather. Great food, nice beer selection, clean and friendly and very reasonably priced for Vancouver. Oh if you are a scotch drinker visit the scotch room. Something to the tune of 400 or so different ones.

I wouldn't call it the Ritz by any stretch of the immagination but I love a little hole in the wall place in Gas Town called the Scottish Heather. Great food, nice beer selection, clean and friendly and very reasonably priced for Vancouver. Oh if you are a scotch drinker visit the scotch room. Something to the tune of 400 or so different ones.

I think you mean the Irish Heather Gunner - they're the ones with the Shebeen Whisk(e)y House out back.

Archived