NCL Pier 66 question... and Seattle Amtrak Station

DLepard

Hi,

Cruising NCL Jewel Aug. 3...

I had my first lesson in Seattle last May, so I know the area well enough to get around on foot. I am staying at the Warwick (same place I stayed last year) which is a great location and I got the room for $104 a night using Travelocity's Secret Hotels.

My question: Is it possible to WALK to the terminal? Are there sidewalks? I may just hire a taxi, but it will be me and my 2 teenage sons, so we are pretty mobile and strong. Last year I walked well over a mile with all of my luggage, no problem.

Another question, we will be taking the Amtrak up from San Diego. The boys are thrilled because I booked a sleeper car. (One is graduating from HS the other from 8th grade... so it is a combination BIRTHDAY, GRAD, and Christmas gift for them... I really want them to have a wonderful experience.) I hear the station is in a not so good are of town. Is it hard to hail a cab at 9pm or so at night (barring delays?)

Thank you!!

Hi,

Cruising NCL Jewel Aug. 3...

I had my first lesson in Seattle last May, so I know the area well enough to get around on foot. I am staying at the Warwick (same place I stayed last year) which is a great location and I got the room for $104 a night using Travelocity's Secret Hotels.

My question: Is it possible to WALK to the terminal? Are there sidewalks? I may just hire a taxi, but it will be me and my 2 teenage sons, so we are pretty mobile and strong. Last year I walked well over a mile with all of my luggage, no problem.

Another question, we will be taking the Amtrak up from San Diego. The boys are thrilled because I booked a sleeper car. (One is graduating from HS the other from 8th grade... so it is a combination BIRTHDAY, GRAD, and Christmas gift for them... I really want them to have a wonderful experience.) I hear the station is in a not so good are of town. Is it hard to hail a cab at 9pm or so at night (barring delays?)

Thank you!!

It's easy enough to walk from the Warwick to the Pier 66 terminal. Just walk straight down Lenora Street (the hotel is on the corner of 4th and Lenora) to Western Avenue, then under the Alaskan Way Viaduct (elevated freeway) to a pedestrian walkway that will take you to an elevator. Down the elevator to the waterfront level (next to the Marriott Hotel) and cross the street (Alaskan Way - the surface one) and badda bing, T66. Note that Lenora between First Avenue and Western is fairly steep, but not unmanageable. By the crow it's around seven blocks, or roughly between a third and half a mile, door to door. It should take you around 10-15 min. to walk.

There will be plenty of cabs at the station when you arrive, not to worry. Note that the Coast Starlight has a less than stellar on-time record, so your boys may have even more train time then they thought. ;)

Thanks! Part of the reason I booked the train for Wednesday rather than Thursday is because of it's arrival track record. Not to mention, my oldest is dying to tool about Seattle. I think we can handle steep. We are limiting each of us to ONE carry on (backpack) and one suitcase. Thanks for the help!

There will be taxis waiting at King Street Station for the Coast Starlight's arrival. The cabbies will radio for more there are more people than available cabs.

Also, about 4 years ago there was a long period of major meltdown in the Starlight's timekeeping (problems with the Union Pacific, long story) where it was routinely 4-12 hours late. That made such an impression that it unfortunately still haunts the train's reputation, which now has pretty good timekeeping. The on time performance average for the northbound Coast Starlight into Seattle is 89.8% over the last 12 months, and 92.4% for February. Barring some kind of unforseeable problems (freight train breaks down in front of you, moron makes the last decision of his life that he can beat the train to the grade crossing and the police/coroner hold the train for 3 hours to investigate. Car versus train is like Foot versus Coke can), you will arrive into Seattle on time or a little early.

Thank you Zephyr... I have heard it has gotten better. I still opted to get there on Thursday evening rather than Friday for our Saturday cruise departure. I don't know what my 18 year old is more excited about, the sleeper car train, or the cruise! :-)

I had similar questions about my hotel in Seattle.

I found Google Maps or Google Earth Street View to be a wonderful tool.

I was able to do a "virtual walk" from my hotel to Pier 66. Saw crosswalks and pedestrian bridges over Alaskan Way surface street right in front of the pier.

I had originally booked in the Holiday Inn Express near the Space Needle and after doing a virtual walk from the hotel to the space needle, I decided that the neighborhood was - shall we say "not so nice". So I re-booked to Marriott Waterfront.

Also can do virtual walks in the ports in Alaska. Pretty neat.

Archived