People-to-People Program. Scubagirl, your thoughts?

dctm06

We just returned from our cruise on the Carnival Fascination last night and wanted to give a quick review of the People to People program we signed up for. It was the best part of our entire trip. We arrived in Nassau at 12noon and walked straight to the pink bldg in Rawson sq- where we met our ambassador and the person there who had helped coordinate everything. Our ambassador had parked nearby and we walked with him to his vehicle. He is someone my family will never forget and had to be one of the most kind people we have ever met. We spent around 2 1/2 hours with him touring Nassau and it was a wonderful experience. We saw the good and bad of Nassau but always felt safe. We learned so much about Nassau from him. If anyone is on the fence about doing this, do it. I hope you have the same experience we did.

I've recently learned about the Bahamas People-to-People program. You are paired up with a local through the Ministry of Tourism. Not much out there yet about the experiences travelers have had. Scubagirl, do you have any insight on this?

There is a thread on cruise critic about people to people. I have contacted them for my cruise in April 2013. Will let you know about the experience, when I return.

I've recently learned about the Bahamas People-to-People program. You are paired up with a local through the Ministry of Tourism. Not much out there yet about the experiences travelers have had. Scubagirl, do you have any insight on this?

This program is one of the best programs I've come across. I've never heard a negative thing about them.

This is NOT a tour service.. it's an immersion experience. You should have an enjoyable day.

We recently had a perfectly lovely day in Nassau on the people-to-people program March 24th. We contacted the program about 5 weeks ahead of our sailing. We heard back only about one week prior to sailing inquiring if we were still interested. I replied that we were. We were matched with a lovely couple only 2 days before our departure (3 days before sailing).

They met us just outside the marketplace (the port exit/entrance buildings). They drove us around the downtown sites, and on to the Watertower - which was of particular interest to me - I have a honeymoon photo from my parents there in 1956. A quick hike down and back up the Queen's staircase, visits to the three old fort areas, then on out of town past new rival "Atlantis-esque" development, and on to many other sites which I'm sure most folks don't see and learned much more about the Bahamas and their people. We finished with a late lunch at the fishfry (Which is really not very far from the port - perfectly walkable although, if you were not accustom to the heat might be hard for some). We had Conch fritters, scorched Conch, tropical Conch salad, steamed/grilled Conch, and cracked Conch (All delicious, Scorched Conch wins in my book). It was great to share lunch with folks who knew all the secrets.

By agreement we said goodbye at the entrance to the Straw Market. Quick shopping -(vendors not aggressive in my opinion (have you been to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul?) )- for, what else, a Conch Shell; and then easily back to the ship.

Are there any churches within walking distance to the dock? We've been to Nassau many times and since we will be there Sunday thought we'd try something new. Non-denominational Christian, Lutheran, or Anglican would be fine.

TIA

I sent a request in a little over a week ago for our 4/20 Freedom cruise. I have not heard back yet but will be sure to post a review if we go. My DH was a bit skeptical when I told him about the program, but I googled it and found a couple reviews on trip advisor, shared the info of cruise critic and what I found on the internet and got his approval. We are only there from 1 - 7 and didn't want to spend the money on resort passes for only a couple of hours of beach time so this was perfect for us.

I sail tomorrow and have not heard back from people to people. I am disappointed because I got one e-mail from them and figured I would see an e-mail this week. So my family will not experience this program, which is disappointing. I just e-mailed the person that sent me the earlier e-mail and told her how disappointed I was that they did not follow through on their end. I guess I should have e-mailed them a few times, but too busy trying to work and get ready for cruise.:mad:

I sail tomorrow and have not heard back from people to people. I am disappointed because I got one e-mail from them and figured I would see an e-mail this week. So my family will not experience this program, which is disappointing. I just e-mailed the person that sent me the earlier e-mail and told her how disappointed I was that they did not follow through on their end. I guess I should have e-mailed them a few times, but too busy trying to work and get ready for cruise.:mad:

We set sail on April 20th. I had a phone call today (April 11th) from the People-to-People program asking if we were still interested, and then e-mail followup half an hour later with the name and contact information of the person who has offered to host us. We're really looking forward to this experience.

After I saw this post I sent a follow up email on Tuesday. We also set sail on 4/20. They responded back someone will contact me, but have not heard anything. We were looking forward to this so I hope it works out.

Are there any churches within walking distance to the dock? We've been to Nassau many times and since we will be there Sunday thought we'd try something new. Non-denominational Christian, Lutheran, or Anglican would be fine.

TIA

Saint Andrew's Kirk is within walking distance. I don't know exactly where it is, but it's within a 10 min walk from the docks. We passed at least 3 churches during our walk up to the Queen's Staircase and back, so I don't think you'll have trouble finding one. The maps they hand out at the docks also have some churches marked on them.

We sent in an inquiry a few weeks ago for out trip in July but have never heard anything, not even a confirmation message. I'll wait until closer to our cruise and send them another message if we don't hear from them.

• 2 weeks later...

TIA

If you are really open to the experience, I suggest you contact P2P and request Ms. Kayla Smith. Our December 2012 cruise stop in Nassau, hosted by KAYLA was the absolute highlight of our trip! It took a few follow-up calls to the Ministry of Tourism to get matched up with someone. But Kayla called me the week before our Sunday visit to Nassau to make some plans, and apologize that she would not be available until after Church. After immediately hitting it off with her over the phone, I asked if my (Jewish) boyfriend David and I could just come to church with her?

She loved that idea, and arranged for her Church Bus to pick us up at the port. We were made to feel very welcome at the vibrant Christian service with singing, dancing, and humor. Of course this was more of a cultural than religious experience for us. And everyone we met was very understanding and respectful.

After church, we met Ms. Kayla's extended family and had a wonderful island lunch together in the Fish Fry district. Her niece then delivered us back to the port to continue our journey, and tell our shipboard friends about our anything-but-typical day in The Bahamas.

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/people-people

By agreement we said goodbye at the entrance to the Straw Market. Quick shopping -(vendors not aggressive in my opinion (have you been to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul?) )- for, what else, a Conch Shell; and then easily back to the ship.

Since you mention P2P, as well as Istanbul, I don't suppose you know of a similar program in Turkey? We did P2P in Nassau last year, and would LOVE a similar "Locals Style" experience on our Med Cruise in December.

• 5 months later...