Debit card/ What if you can't pay bill?

RedLightVegas

In regards to debit card usage-

I called NCL yesterday and when you set an account up with a debit card, (which is what we have to use on our upcoming cruise because we have no other choice but cash) they pre-authorize your card for $300 but don't actually charge it until the last morning of the cruise. What happens if you go over that $300? Do they pre-authorize another $300 when you've gone over the first $300?

Reason I ask is because I have seen people on the last day of cruises freaking out at the purser's desk because there's "no way they could've spent that much" and I'm wondering if they were freaking out because they couldn't pay the bill? If you go over the pre-authorization limit (and lets say they don't pre-authorize again) and they try to charge the card at the end of the cruise and it doesn't go through what happens?

Me personally, I'm not worried because I always keep track of my spending (I'm a fraud accountant, numbers just sit well with me) but I was wondering if the non-pay could be an issue for others or the cruise line.

Random amounts are authorized on a daily basis and this is based on the previous day's spending history.

My sister doesn't have credit cards. Wouldn't cruise because they always asked for one. I told her use cash. It means checking in a little earlier on some lines but they usa American Express Checks up front to cover all known charges, tips, soda cards, shore excursions add a 100 to that. Two days before the end of the trip they check whats left and add if needed. Great thing is no bil a few weeks after they get home.

We use a card but pay all or most onboard charges with American Express Checks day before we get in. This limits any bills after vacation.

Was warned about debit cards and holds so we steer clear.

Ours pretty much does not take any foreign transactions as that is the majority of the fraud is and is virtually impossible to trace, not knowing if it's a manufactured batch of cards, etc. We took the approach while it may be an inconvenience, the majority of customers have credit cards. It may sound drastic but for a small bank it routinely became tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't know how the thieves do it but they are good at it. The consumer is much better protected with a credit card as it's not your money you are chasing and a lot of times a lot of damage has occurred before you know it has happened.

I also work at a small credit union and our cards do not work outside the country. If members call me I can put an exception on the card for time they are away. I like the idea of a checking a account opened for just vacation with a card attached to just that account. Some people don't have a credit card and can't get one. Traveling with alot of cash even just till you can lock most of it in the safe might be scary to some people. I have never seen holds on the account for an extended period of time. When we use our credit card the daily holds are there for a few days after we are home and the total of our on board account is posted to the card.

You are fortunate that your bank handles holds so well, but you have been a CCer long enough to have read the many posts of cruisers who had to endure lengthy holds on their debit card accounts.

You are fortunate that your bank handles holds so well, but you have been a CCer long enough to have read the many posts of cruisers who had to endure lengthy holds on their debit card accounts.

It just surprises me how long some people have holds stay on their accounts. The longest I ever see holds on my members accounts is 5 days and that would be if the transaction took place on the week end.

You are right.

When gas prices started to skyrocket, some local grocery gas stations would automatically put a $75 or $100 hold on the card PLUS run a separate transaction for the price of the gas. Boy did that cause problems......

I guess I'm old school as I control my account and no-one else.

You are right.

When gas prices started to skyrocket, some local grocery gas stations would automatically put a $75 or $100 hold on the card PLUS run a separate transaction for the price of the gas. Boy did that cause problems......

I guess I'm old school as I control my account and no-one else.

I noticed people at the credit union I work at have problems with gas purchases. When prices started to rise the "floor" went up. The best way to avoid this is to go inside and tell he clerk how much you want to pump. Say you only have $100 in your checking you could avoid a hold of $75 if all you wanted was $50. Around here we still have stations that the hold is $1.00. That also can be a problem. People forget how much they actually bought and think they have more money.

Archived