Resort Vouchers

Cruise Arizona

Such programs are available in Hawaii hotels but they're mainly geared towards Japanese tourists who are accustomed to have package deals with meals included. I'm not sure if they're widely available to just any tourists. Plus, they'd only be good for the face value of the coupon so not sure what you'd gain by using them versus just paying for the meals with cash/credit card.

Spleen

ALL beaches in Hawaii are open to the public free of charge, even the ones at the expensive resorts, and public access must be provided. I have never had a problem going to the beach at any of the hotels and using their restaurant facilities, even taking a dip in the pool after lunch, walking the grounds, having a drink at the beach bar etc.

That sounds like a good plan... It would be fun to enjoy a meal and a drink at a resort and then be able to use the pool. I knew all the beaches were public, but I wasn't sure about using the pool and restarant access.

I guess we used to do that at Clearwater Beach when I lived in Florida too.

No, the pools are NOT public access. You may be able to use them but you may also be pulled aside by security and asked to leave the premises. Technically, if you're not staying there or haven't purchased a day pass (if available), you're not supposed to use hotel facilities that you haven't paid for. So, drinks and meals at the restaurants are ok (since you're paying for it). Using the pool is not (since you're not paying for it). Otherwise, beach access is public and they can't restrict you from getting to the beach (though they may prefer that you not do so by walking through the hotel) :)

Spleen

It's not very well known, unfortunately, which hotels do and which hotels don't. Most don't. I only hear about exceptions occasionally (such as the recent talk about a day pass for the Hyatt Regency Kauai). You would need to call each hotel that you were interested in to find out specifically whether they offer a day pass program.

If you do get a definitive answer on this question, I'd love to hear it myself - we get this question off and on the Hawaii board and I have yet to hear anything definitive about which hotels do and don't. Having said this, I don't really think that it'd be worth getting a day pass for any of the hotels on Oahu - none of their pools are all that fantastic or worth paying the extra money for. You might as well save your money and just enjoy the beaches. You can still walk onto the premises of the hotels and order food and drinks from the poolside bars (though remember that technically, you can't bring the drinks onto the beach). Now, on the other islands such as the Grand Wailea on Maui, the Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island, the Hyatt Regency Kauai ... that might be definitely worthwhile and would be a different matter ....

Spleen

Spleen - FYI, the Hale Koa charges an $8 fee for using the fitness center and then says that if you want to change for the pool, you must use the fitness center. (cute)

Of course, we go down there dressed for the occasion so we will go right to the pool and then eat dinner there in our suits!

The H.K. hasnt been checking ID's coming in from the street, but may still from the beach....I bet they check at night and weekends.

Just FYI so you have at least one hotel to reference....even if it is for military and DOD civilians.

The $8 day pass for the "fitness" center actually seems like a pretty good deal.

If I was to call a couple of Hotels in Hawaii to find out if they offer daypasses which ones whould you recommentd.

We will be in Nawilili Kauai, Honolulu Ohau, Hilo & Kona on the big island, and Lahaina Maui.

Thanks

I found that they do offer a "pool pass" which is $80 for up to a family of 4. Kind of expensive for what you get...just use of pool facilities, which are very nice I understand, but not like the "voucher system" that you use in Mexico. With those you purchase $30 per person vouchers and then you can use those for the purchase of food and beverage on property.

Maybe we'll just stick to the beach.

The $8 day pass for the "fitness" center actually seems like a pretty good deal.

If I was to call a couple of Hotels in Hawaii to find out if they offer daypasses which ones whould you recommentd.

Well, the Hale Koa is a Military Hotel. You wouldnt be able to get into the fitness center without an ID or a friend with an ID. Since 9/11 the security has increased and ID cheking is common but not consistant.

Given that we have military hotel options and the fact that I live here, I hardly get to any of the other hotels. So I really cant help with others.

I personally would stick to the beach. The pools use salt water and you will sometimes find sandy bottoms (from swimmers feet). The Hilton Hawaiian Village is fun to walk around and eat at, but the beach isnt the best.

Or do what Spleen suggests and call the hotels to see if you can get a fitness center pass which would allow you to take a shower after the beach.

Yeah, those prices sound in line with what I've heard for day passes for a lot of the hotels (in fact, it's probably a little cheaper). Sticking to the beach will definitely be cheaper - at least, unless you've really got something against salt water and insist on swimming in fresh water.

The Grand Wailea pool system on Maui is amazing. If you had to pick one place to use the pools, that would be my choice. I also understand that it's REALLY pricey (just like the hotel itself)

Suebee - that's good to know - at least we can put that out there for people with military connections.

Spleen

Grand Wailea Resort no longer does the day pass thing. I watched travel channel on TiVo last night Best Of Hawaii - Really beautiful, but when I called today they said they no longer offer day passes for use of the pool, but that everything else on the grounds is open to the public, so you are welcome to cut through for beach access, but you just can't use the pool.

Marriott Outrigger does not.

Westin does not.

Embassy Suites does not.

But who knows if you show up to get to the beach through the Hotel and really beg they might sell you a pass for the pool .

I think I got a little carried away with this idea when I saw all those resorts on the Travel Channel with the acres of pools and water slides.

We'll have a pool on the Infiity, and if the kids really want to swim in the pool they'll have plenty of time to do that onboard. (I know it's usually salt water, but I doubt they'll care)

Archived