Weather aboard QM2 in early May

Anneinmanhattan

I am sailing from NY to Southampton, and off from there for two months to Paris, Venice, and Girona, Spain. Clothes are an issue. I've decided to use White Star to send back formal stuff and use a carry-on for the rest of my trip. Want I need to know is what do I need on the QM2 during the day in terms of temperatures. I don't own resort wear--not even sure what resort wear is. In NY I work from home and live in jeans and sweaters, lighter tops in summer. Will I need many sweaters--what can I get away with during the day. Evenings are not a problem. Thanks for any advice from those who have traveled the North Atlantic in May. Also, my sister, recovering from broken leg, is traveling with me, and because of damage to her leg never wears dresses or skirts, or heels. Will she look out of place in the evening in pants and flat shoes?

I am sailing from NY to Southampton, and off from there for two months to Paris, Venice, and Girona, Spain. Clothes are an issue. I've decided to use White Star to send back formal stuff and use a carry-on for the rest of my trip. Want I need to know is what do I need on the QM2 during the day in terms of temperatures. I don't own resort wear--not even sure what resort wear is. In NY I work from home and live in jeans and sweaters, lighter tops in summer. Will I need many sweaters--what can I get away with during the day. Evenings are not a problem. Thanks for any advice from those who have traveled the North Atlantic in May. Also, my sister, recovering from broken leg, is traveling with me, and because of damage to her leg never wears dresses or skirts, or heels. Will she look out of place in the evening in pants and flat shoes?

Welcome Annie.

I am sure you will be just fine with your attire for this trip. QM2 isn't as formal as you may think. During the day it's very casual.

Your choice of using White Star will lessen the stress for you, it's a wonderful service that DH and l often use.

For the evenings one should of course dress accordingly and you will find that most people do this.

In the'old'days of RMS QE2 it was quite different and was a sheer delight to dress up to the nines.

I always dress to kill and don't give a damn what other passengers think.

The evening pants and flat shoes will be just fine for your sister and for you also.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy......and in the meantime, do not take too much notice of the so called fashion police on this board.

Best, Judy.

Welcome Annie.

I am sure you will be just fine with your attire for this trip. QM2 isn't as formal as you may think. During the day it's very casual.

Your choice of using White Star will lessen the stress for you, it's a wonderful service that DH and l often use.

For the evenings one should of course dress accordingly and you will find that most people do this.

In the'old'days of RMS QE2 it was quite different and was a sheer delight to dress up to the nines.

I always dress to kill and don't give a damn what other passengers think.

The evening pants and flat shoes will be just fine for your sister and for you also.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy......and in the meantime, do not take too much notice of the so called fashion police on this board.

Best, Judy.

Hi Judy,

I agree with you about the Fashion Police. Your reference to the "old days" on QE2 brought back some memories. I would add that in the "Old-Old Days" (pre prefab suites addition), the days of the 736 Club, dress was considerably less formal than it ultimately became. Back in that day, bell bottom trousers (usually hip huggers :eek:) with a turtle neck top and suitable jewelry and hairstyle were quite the look for a night on the QE2.:D Rock n Roll and Disco, Baby.:eek::D

i was reading your post, me too i am in the same situation as i intend to sail from ny to Southampton in mai 2014 before goeing on a road trip in uk

and clothing has been a big concern from me

in term of dark suit, i have no problem, i have my own jacket and i can borow more from my dad as he had to constantly dress up for his work, plus we wear the same size

i though it might be good to have at least a second jacket, in case something happen to it during the sailing

what had me concerned is that i was reading about, casual, semi formal and formal, and it said in formal that tuxedo was highly recommended, this is where i seem to lack as i have no tuxedo and no one i know has one

appart that, as someone who is active outdoor, i have plenty of jeans, jumper , tshirts and polos

by the way, what is a resort wear?

redhydra,

You will be fine in a dark suit for formal nights. Not every man will have on a tux.

The dress code is changing soon so there is only formal and informal for evening. This is from Cunard's FAQ:

EVENING DRESS CODES

1. Formal

Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

The Ships will have the option on occasional nights - such as deck parties or where there is a high volume of late flight arrivals - to state in the daily programme that 'a jacket will not be compulsory this evening' - but that would be on a small number of occasions and we will not refer to this in any published Dress Code collateral.

DAYTIME WEAR

Stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine during the day on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings. Swimsuits, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the Spa and Fitness Centre and please note that swimwear must be covered up before entering any enclosed areas.

All guests will be notified of the above revised policy in the printed Pre Voyage Documentation (if applicable) or on Voyage Personaliser. This will also be repeated in the Daily Programme once on board.

.and in the meantime, do not take too much notice of the so called fashion police on this board.

Best, Judy.

I often read posts that are critical of so called 'Fashion Police' but I have failed miserably to find posts that might cause offence.

Dress codes are well publicised.

We can all hopefully read and make decisions on whether these codes are in keeping with what we want when making a decision about choice of cruise.

Is there anyone that is demanding folks do NOT comply with the stipulated codes?

We keep saying it and surely we might all accept that if we do not like the rules of the game we do not have to play.

Going back to the so called Fashion Police.. My thoughts are the 'Fashion Police' on this forum are a pair of characters that have a wonderful way with words, they have a great sense of humour and their contributions about dress are usually personal observations and opinions that are well thought out, well expressed and harmless.

They are NOT employees of Cunard.

They have NO influence with the cruise line.

They nhave NO influence regarding what is or is not acceptable regarding dress.

They are two characters who I look forward to meeting and hopefully listening to their experiences.

No one but no one has to read their posts

No one has to take any notice of them

It is something I look on as being light hearted banter and long may it continue.

For anyone to take offence at what is said and not cruise with a certain company solely because of what they read by a few people on a forum says more about the complainant than the complaint!! (no offence meant)

Secret Pictures taken of Fashion Police discussing latest dress code standards

keeping_1600069c.jpg

I often read posts that are critical of so called 'Fashion Police' but I have failed miserably to find posts that might cause offence.

keeping_1600069c.jpg

Thanks Glojo. :)

keeping_1600069c.jpg

The sentiments are appreciated, but this is a picture of members of the U.K. branch of the Fashion Police, not the Australian branch.

Of course, we have to defer to their greater knowledge and experience since they have been travelling with Cunard since as long ago as 1992 when they won a national newspaper competition for luxury travel on the QE2.

The sentiments are appreciated, but this is a picture of members of the U.K. branch of the Fashion Police, not the Australian branch.

Of course, we have to defer to their greater knowledge and experience since they have been travelling with Cunard since as long ago as 1992 when they won a national newspaper competition for luxury travel on the QE2.

And they cleaned up quite nicely for dinner with the captain!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hyacinth mistakenly think they had stowed away? I do remember she had a habit of scattering Cunard brochures around to impress visitors, lol.

Hi Judy,

I agree with you about the Fashion Police. Your reference to the "old days" on QE2 brought back some memories. I would add that in the "Old-Old Days" (pre prefab suites addition), the days of the 736 Club, dress was considerably less formal than it ultimately became. Back in that day, bell bottom trousers (usually hip huggers :eek:) with a turtle neck top and suitable jewelry and hairstyle were quite the look for a night on the QE2.:D Rock n Roll and Disco, Baby.:eek::D

RMS QE2 was a true liner. That ship stank of money.....and quite rightly so! Ironically it really didn't matter what cabin/stateroom one was in in those days.

RMS QE2 was a true liner. That ship stank of money.....and quite rightly so! Ironically it really didn't matter what cabin/stateroom one was in in those days.

Quite right. Many true celebrities on board and mingling with the fellow passengers for the most part. Adding the balcony suites and changing the 736 Club into the Queen's Grill really changed the ambiance on board (imho).:D

Quite right. Many true celebrities on board and mingling with the fellow passengers for the most part. Adding the balcony suites and changing the 736 Club into the Queen's Grill really changed the ambiance on board (imho).:D

How long has it been since both of you were on a Cunard ship? And, do you have any plans to travel with Cunard in the future?

I was on board Vickie last year. Yes, plan on a Transat on QM2. Why?

I noticed that the two of you reminisce about the past a lot and the inference I took from your recent posts was that both of you thought the current Cunard product wasn't as good as the QE2 etc etc. I could be wrong, you may both believe the current product is an improvement!

In any case, I was curious as to how recent your Cunard experiences were. Obviously, if someone hadn't travelled with Cunard in years (lets say four for example), and had no intention of cruising with Cunard in the future, I'd probably recommend to people that they didn't take too much notice of what such person had to say.

I noticed that the two of you reminisce about the past a lot and the inference I took from your recent posts was that both of you thought the current Cunard product wasn't as good as the QE2 etc etc. I could be wrong, you may both believe the current product is an improvement!

In any case, I was curious as to how recent your Cunard experiences were. Obviously, if someone hadn't travelled with Cunard in years (lets say four for example), and had no intention of cruising with Cunard in the future, I'd probably recommend to people that they didn't take too much notice of what such person had to say.

Why would I not reminisce? I have had great times on Cunard ships my entire life. The current product is not like the early days on QE2, just different, not necessarily better or worse. People who only know the current product are entitled to their opinions as well. My point in the most recent posts was to illustrate that this dust up about changes to formal dress codes is nothing new. The codes have always been changing. My point is that QE2 was a much more trendy and casual atmosphere in the early days. The "Oulde English" decor and much more formal ambiance came later after the addition of the balcony suites and other refits.

Why would I not reminisce? I have had great times on Cunard ships my entire life. The current product is not like the early days on QE2, just different, not necessarily better or worse. People who only know the current product are entitled to their opinions as well. My point in the most recent posts was to illustrate that this dust up about changes to formal dress codes is nothing new. The codes have always been changing. My point is that QE2 was a much more trendy and casual atmosphere in the early days. The "Oulde English" decor and much more formal ambiance came later after the addition of the balcony suites and other refits.

Okay, I get you. By the way, why did you agree with MSDEVA that the OP should not take too much notice of the "so called Fashion Police" on this board? What do we say that is incorrect or should be ignored?

Hi Jim,

I note how you talk about the styling of the QE2 and did you ever get to visit\cruise\serve aboard the older Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary? If so what are your thoughts about the decor and how it changed when the QE2 was introduced?

My thoughts are that it is possible that Cunard with the QE2 saw the writing on the wall and perhaps started to appeal to people that were looking for a holiday afloat as opposed to a transatlantic crossing.

Hi Jim,

I note how you talk about the styling of the QE2 and did you ever get to visit\cruise\serve aboard the older Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary? If so what are your thoughts about the decor and how it changed when the QE2 was introduced?

My thoughts are that it is possible that Cunard with the QE2 saw the writing on the wall and perhaps started to appeal to people that were looking for a holiday afloat as opposed to a transatlantic crossing.

I was fortunate to have sailed both Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth as a child. They made huge impressions on me and probably led to my career at sea. When QE2 came out, I along with many others, was a bit shocked by the complete break with tradition and the "terrible" lack of funnels. But once on board in May of '69 (like Jackson Browne I was 21) I was completely taken with the here and now. She was as new and fresh as the latest rock n roll hit and was totally unique. :D Quite the "A list" place to be at the time.

Archived