Glory Review: 3/17-3/24, Western Caribbean

BobbyD

must say i am impressed that you were able to get some photos of check in. i have seen people get told about that... good job

I didn't even know I wasn't supposed to. Just took the camera out and snapped some!

CABIN:

We had cabin #7376 on Empress deck. It was a balcony cabin and was in great shape. We had two families on either side of us and they were quiet all week long. The cabin was on the port side of the ship and was in a very quiet location. It was considered a midship cabin, but was on the aft end of the midship! Just down the hall from the stairs and elevators, we were two floors down from the Lido and two floors up from the Promenade. Perfect location! The bed was very comfortable, but I always sleep well while on a cruise. Only one outlet, but I brought a Belkin power strip and had no problems keeping all my devices charged. I do like the safes on Royal better because they require a code and the safes on the Glory require a credit card, which was a bit of a pain. Our mini-bar was locked on embarkation day and it stayed that way the entire cruise. Our Cabin Steward was Ryan and he was very nice. We saw him quite a bit in the hallway throughout the day. He had a partner but I do not remember her name. The very first day I told him that all we required was fresh ice each day and he was very good about that. He made towel animals each night, a nice touch when we came back from dinner. Of course, Carnival supplies bedtime chocolates, which Royal does not. Some people on the Royal threads have a huge issue with that but I have no problem either way. Here are some pics of our cabin, etc.:

IMG_0424-L.jpg

IMG_0425-L.jpg

IMG_0426-L.jpg

IMG_0427-L.jpg

The bathroom was your typical cruise ship bathroom. You must step up to get into the bathroom, so if mobility is an issue, be careful! The shower had great pressure and the water was plenty hot. Carnival has a shower curtain and Royal has the wrap-around solid door (at least on the ships that we've been on). I prefer the door, but you just have to make sure the curtain is in the shower and not outside of it, so you don't flood the bathroom! Carnival gives you some little samples of razors, Breathe-Rite strips, etc., which Royal does not. In the shower there is a dispenser of shampoo and body gel. I am perfectly fine using their products.

I forgot to mention that the cabin has a hair dryer in a drawer in the vanity. DW used it each night with no complaints.

IMG_0065-L.jpg

IMG_0066-L.jpg

IMG_0067-L.jpg

As I write this review, I wanted to mention that I was a bit apprehensive about this cruise. We have been on a number of cruises and land-based vacations and we've always had a great time. We're go with the flow people and tend to hang out with the same. Some vacations have been better than others and some situations have happened on vacation that could have been better. But, we have been fortunate in that nothing has ever happened to us on any vacation that has been really bad and has caused us to have less than a great vacation. I understand that everybody has different expectations and situations and sometimes bad things happen to good people, but after reading a number of Carnival reviews, many of them negative, I was a bit nervous. Our recent Med cruise on Carnival was awesome, but it was a new ship and it was the Med. I can see how some of these negative reviews on Cruise Critic could scare people away, or cause great concern. I didn't expect anything different from any other cruise, but in the back of my mind, I expected the worst. Well, my fears were allayed from the moment I went on board. Were there a couple of things that I thought could be better? Sure. That happens at a 5 star restaurant or hotel. I guess my point to this diatribe, as I take a break at work, is for everyone who does read reviews, that you take them with a grain of salt. Everybody has different experiences and how they approach life. Carnival, like RCI, NCL, Princess, Holland America, are mass-market lines, marketed towards the "general" public. People from all walks of life who are spending their hard-earned money trying to have a nice vacation. I have found that 99% of the people that I have come across are nice people and respectful of others. The other 1% can't be helped and they probably can't help themselves!

So, don't be scared off by the negative reviews. Not that bad things might not have happened to the reviewer, but it might not, probably won't, happen to you. You'll have a great time! On with the review!

Thanks Bobby D., this is an exceptional review thusfar. And I whole-heartedly agree with the above paragraph. You can't please everyone! Just go into it with an open mind and you'll usually be fine.

Looking forward to more review and pics of the fun times.

Thanks!

BobbyD, thanks for the great pics of your cabin! I was glad to hear that it was in a great location, as the cabin on my upcoming cruise on the Glory will be very close to where yours was but on the starboard side.

I am enjoying reading your review and seeing the photos of the ship.

We were on this same cruise with you. I even recognize some of the people in your pics!! How funny! We stopped in for the CC meet, but didn't see anyone. There were 8 of us, 2 of them newbies. Great review so far. Did you make it to the steak house? We did the first night.

W O N D E R F U L!!!!

PAUL

As I write this review, I wanted to mention that I was a bit apprehensive about this cruise. We have been on a number of cruises and land-based vacations and we've always had a great time. We're go with the flow people and tend to hang out with the same. Some vacations have been better than others and some situations have happened on vacation that could have been better. But, we have been fortunate in that nothing has ever happened to us on any vacation that has been really bad and has caused us to have less than a great vacation. I understand that everybody has different expectations and situations and sometimes bad things happen to good people, but after reading a number of Carnival reviews, many of them negative, I was a bit nervous. Our recent Med cruise on Carnival was awesome, but it was a new ship and it was the Med. I can see how some of these negative reviews on Cruise Critic could scare people away, or cause great concern. I didn't expect anything different from any other cruise, but in the back of my mind, I expected the worst. Well, my fears were allayed from the moment I went on board. Were there a couple of things that I thought could be better? Sure. That happens at a 5 star restaurant or hotel. I guess my point to this diatribe, as I take a break at work, is for everyone who does read reviews, that you take them with a grain of salt. Everybody has different experiences and how they approach life. Carnival, like RCI, NCL, Princess, Holland America, are mass-market lines, marketed towards the "general" public. People from all walks of life who are spending their hard-earned money trying to have a nice vacation. I have found that 99% of the people that I have come across are nice people and respectful of others. The other 1% can't be helped and they probably can't help themselves!

So, don't be scared off by the negative reviews. Not that bad things might not have happened to the reviewer, but it might not, probably won't, happen to you. You'll have a great time! On with the review!

Well said!

We were on this same cruise with you. I even recognize some of the people in your pics!! How funny! We stopped in for the CC meet, but didn't see anyone. There were 8 of us, 2 of them newbies. Great review so far. Did you make it to the steak house? We did the first night.

W O N D E R F U L!!!!

PAUL

I stopped by to the CC meeting and met a few but the DJ was so loud I left in 10 minutes. Enjoying the review also. This cruise was very enjoyable will no issues at except it was too short.

Mike

W O N D E R F U L!!!!

PAUL

We did make it to the Steakhouse on the 3rd night (Tuesday). It was the first time that we had been to a specialty restaurant on a cruise but it probably won't be the last. It was very, very good and we had a great meal! Hope you did as well.

On Sunday when we left Miami, our departure was delayed until 7:00pm. They said it was due to having to take on some fresh water because they felt the water they obtained in another port (St. Kitts?) was possibly tainted. Better safe than sorry!

Here are some pictures of when we left Miami, taken from our balcony:

IMG_0048-L.jpg

Looking behind us to Miami:

IMG_0054-L.jpg

A beautiful day in Miami!

IMG_0060-L.jpg

View straight down from our Deck 7 balcony:

IMG_0062-L.jpg

The Norwegian Pearl heading out ahead of us:

IMG_0069-L.jpg

Almost out into the open seas! Finally!

IMG_0108-L.jpg

IMG_0109-L.jpg

IMG_0112-L.jpg

FOOD:

Food is a very subjective topic so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that my taste in food is quite varied. I am not picky and will try almost anything. Not on the reality show level, but almost anything from a wide range of restaurants. I have rarely had a bad meal in my day, although some have been better than others!

I will try to break up this part of the review by food venue as best I can.

Main Dining Room.

I mentioned earlier that on Sunday afternoon I went to the Maitre D stationed in the Golden dining room and asked to be switched from a table of 4 to a table of 2. He told us to go to our table on the first night and if he could switch us (he thought he could) we would find out with a note in our cabin. We went to our table of 4 in the Platinum dining room the first night and the other couple was a no-show! We were all the way in the back, next to the railing overlooking the lower Platinum dining room. Perfect location where I could people watch! We had a very nice meal. I don't remember every item we had the entire week so I will give you the "highlights". I had the linguini as a starter (very good) and the flat iron steak off of the everyday menu. DW had the brisket which she enjoyed. I have heard varying reviews of the flat iron steak so I thought I would try it. The waiter asked me how many I would like. I asked him if they were small and he said yes, so I ordered two. It came out and was exactly as I ordered (medium-rare) and very flavorful. A flat iron steak is a more dense piece of meat compared to a filet and that was what this steak was. I thought it was very good. The size? Imagine a strip steak cut in two equal pieces. Each steak was about an inch thick and about the size of a half of a strip steak. So, my two steaks equaled the size of a typical NY strip, if that makes sense. Overall, an excellent meal. For dessert, DW had the creme brulee and I had the black forest cake. Again, very good.

The next day we found a card in our cabin and were given a new table, a table of 2! It actually was across the dining room from our previous table. Same location, other side. Again, looking over the railing to the lower dining room. Great view! The next night was Cruise Elegant night. DW wore a dress and I wore a jacket and tie (and shirt, etc.!). Probably a bit more casual than Royal's formal nights but I would say a majority had a coat on, many had just a shirt and tie, some had a nice Tommy Bahama type of shirt on. The vast majority of people looked very nice. IMHO, if you don't want to put on a coat and tie to go to dinner, than just make an attempt to clean up and look nice. Ratty jeans and a t-shirt aren't usually appropriate at most restaurants on the mainland (although you will get in), so why wear them in a dining room on a cruise ship? I'm not trying to be snobby but just one of those things that I don't quite understand. And guys, come on, take off your baseball cap in the dining room at dinner! Just one of those little things that drives me crazy. But, on the other hand, it is your cruise, so as long as you're not bothering me, do what you're comfortable doing!

Some menu items in the MDR that we liked:

Caesar salad (a slight hint of anchovies, yum).

baked stuffed mushrooms

potato soup

seafood newburg (DW loved it)

lamb shank (very good, but off the bone. Royal leaves the meat on the bone)

Chateubriand (excellent)

pumpkin soup

lobster

prime rib (had it twice)

cream of broccoli soup

escargot (2 orders!)

lasagna (made with meat, spinach and a bechamel sauce. quite good)

amaretto cake

chocolate melting cake (of course!)

frogs legs (interesting with same sauce as escargot)

sweet potato soup

oysters rockefeller

apple pie

filet and short ribs

crab cake (excellent)

I wish I had tried the ribs and fried chicken

What I didn't like as much as I thought I would (not picky, so the list is short!):

tomato and mozzarella salad (the tomatoes weren't ripe enough)

bitter and blanc (yes, heresy I know. I had never had it before. It was fine but not as good as I thought it would be).

shrimp cocktail (fresh shrimp is plentiful in New England. this was just average at best. For those who don't get shrimp often, it probably was just fine).

Random pictures of the dining room:

IMG_0304-L.jpg

IMG_0305-L.jpg

Our wait staff was outstanding! Gregorio was the waiter, assisted by Jesus and John. They worked well together as a team and never let our bread dish stay empty, our water glass get below half-full, or our coffee cup be empty. We brought two bottles of wine on board and had them during the two elegant nights. We were never charged a corkage fee but rewarded them at the end of the week for their efforts. On the issue of drinks at dinner, that was a bit disappointing. They could have used an extra bar server or two in the dining room. Our server did come every night but he usually never came back until our main course was served. I don't think it was his fault, he was just very busy. I felt that Carnival could improve in that area, and make more money because we would order more drinks! Carnival does allow you to get a "double" in the MDR for $3 more. Nothing like a good and potent gin and tonic before dinner!

Every night after dinner during dessert, DW would have her tea and I would have coffee. I had read that Carnival's coffee is a step above dishwater. I thought it was perfectly fine, probably a medium roast. But, I am not a coffee snob, am fine with diner coffee and Dunkin Donuts coffee, and am not a frequent flyer of Starbucks. So, it was fine with me and quite good, in my opinion. I would say, though, that I would prefer Seattle's Best, which is Royal's house brand.

Great review so far- thanks for posting! You don't by chance have a copy of the Funtimes do you? :)

Thanks!

I do have all the Fun Times. I am trying to figure out the best way to scan them and post them. I promise I will do so.

Thanks!

I do have all the Fun Times. I am trying to figure out the best way to scan them and post them. I promise I will do so.

you have to scan them to a hosting site then upload from there.

Great review so far- thanks for posting! You don't by chance have a copy of the Funtimes do you?

the fun times he will have might be different for you for your sailing- use them as a guideline only.|The stuff that will be the same will be the nightly shows in the show lounge

wow that dining room looks empty-- was it towards the end?

the fun times he will have might be different for you for your sailing- use them as a guideline only.|The stuff that will be the same will be the nightly shows in the show lounge

I'm really trying to find out if the master mixologist contest is still going on, and what time the wine seminar is on the first sea day. :)

I'll only use them as a guideline, promise!

Archived