Best tipping method?

arkansasboy

I do believe that IF you (not you specifically) were going to remove the tips, and you were going to go to MDR on the last night, you should have waited until AFTER dinner to remove the tips. This is why the guest services line is usually so long on the last evening. I've seen the line on every cruise we've been on. I know that's what the people are probably doing.

Indeed thats mostly what the line is ,with the exception to people who want to settle their S&S account. Sad isnt it

I *always* do prepaid auto-tipping, but I also give extra cash to those I feel have provided extra special service.

For the room steward, I leave money in the mouth or paws of the towel animal. Bartenders, I give an extra dollar (on top of the 15% they already charge) if I have more than one drink. For others, I roll up the money and palm it to them on the last night. I have also given small gift envelopes with money and a note inside.

Handle it however you prefer, it's YOUR cruise!

We just got off of the Fantasy and did the auto tips...This time' date=' there was an additional $2.00 service fee per day/ per person...Does anyone know what that was for???I hated to ask so I just left it on....[/quote']

That $2 is : distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

That $2 is : distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

that is incorrect.

those are salaried employees who do not get tips.

your $2 per person goes to carnival where all it does is assist carnival in their pay, as in a payroll pool. so they are saving on payroll dollars, and theoreticall, that $2 could be dropping to their bottom line.

since they started doing this, espeially with that 100 % increase at the end of 2011, i will only tip in cash.

For me:

• Do not use prepay. My money, and want it to work for me.

• Do not use debit card. Use credit card and pay off monthly. Could not imagine having my debit card compromised and having a CASH account go to zero.

• Although I may not agree with the cruise line industry and their tipping scheme, I will not punish the employee's to save a buck.

If your debit card gets compromised and some jerk, thief or mistake gets the info, you could loose all money in the account until the situation is rectified with your financial institution. This could leave you with little to no liquid money to get thru the daily bills and obligations.

A credit card that gets compromised and some jerk, thief or mistake gets the info, you could have one heck of a bill and credit issue until the situation is rectified with your financial institutionn. However, you would still have your money in your bank.

Which scenario would be a better of the two bad situations?

Okay, now I have a quick question that I hasn't thought of before. If we have passed our final payment date, can you still call Carnival and have the tips pre paid, and just pay them in full now?

I've already paid mine, but wondering so I can advise my wedding guests. I want to add this information to my wedding website so they can remember they should tip!

Thanks!!

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, now I have a quick question that I hasn't thought of before. If we have passed our final payment date, can you still call Carnival and have the tips pre paid, and just pay them in full now?

I've already paid mine, but wondering so I can advise my wedding guests. I want to add this information to my wedding website so they can remember they should tip!

Thanks!!

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

Sure, call your PVP or if you don't have one, call the regular number and they would be glad to charge your credit card :)

The cruiseline does not put holds on debit cards. Your bank does and each bank has different policies for doing so.

This is very true. We use our debit card, and have never had a hold over and above our bill been put on it. Also, once I did have my debit card compromised at a gas station-one of those readers had been installed at the pump-and my bank reimbursed me for all the charges that occurred before we caught the fraud. So, I guess it does depend on what bank you do business with-

Pat

If your debit card gets compromised and some jerk, thief or mistake gets the info, you could loose all money in the account until the situation is rectified with your financial institution. This could leave you with little to no liquid money to get thru the daily bills and obligations.

A credit card that gets compromised and some jerk, thief or mistake gets the info, you could have one heck of a bill and credit issue until the situation is rectified with your financial institutionn. However, you would still have your money in your bank.

Which scenario would be a better of the two bad situations?

My bank reimbursed me immediately while they were investigating the fraud. Like I said, I think it all depends on what bank you are with.

Pat

How is that a tippable position? I had a crappy job filling candy machines, I never expected a tip.

So you don't think waitress share their tips with the bussers at restaurants at home? Its really not tips, but more like a service charge shared by many.

Most of the crew work for about $50 a week. $11.50/per day isn't too much to ask for the excellent service and clean ship you will find.

If someone is concerned about an additional $80 per person, then maybe they shouldn't be cruising.

We always pre pay the tips to get that expense out of the way before we cruise. We also tip extra in cash to crew members that work hard and take care of us. We also buy drink and photo coupons ahead of time as well to keep the final sail & sign bill down.

We are with the "don't tip for services until rendered" group. We pay no one during the cruise. Then the last evening if we feel the crew went above and beyond and deserve a tip, we just pay the automatic gratuity that is added to the S&S bill ( 3 cruises are S&S without tips only comes to 20-30 bucks anyway). If we feel the service was not above and beyond we adjust it accordingly down at the service desk.

My bank reimbursed me immediately while they were investigating the fraud. Like I said, I think it all depends on what bank you are with.

Pat

Well that is good news. I do not know what my banks policy is on this issue. Also, I feel more comfortable with a CC then a bank account do to the fact I have 30 days to set straight and do not have automatic bill pay and outstanding checks that may bounce do to a compromised debit card. Then being out of the country and dealing with a bank would not be an ideal situation for me.

Just the way I handle my money. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way others feel is the best way to handle their finances.

Its all about what works for the individual.

:)

Since we are new to cruising I am wondering which is the best way to take of tips. I have thought about paying it up front so I dont have to worry about it later. Any ideas?

When we book our cruise, our PVP, adds it to our total, just like he does for the insurance. We pay it off before the cruise. One thing about paying up front, you cannot deduct for what ever reason you feel you should deduct something. BUT, we do make adjustments when the trip is nearly over to what we would have "additionally" given for exceptional service to those that actually provided us with that level of service. There are quite a few, like all but our 2010 Ecstacy room attendant, that always deserve "additional". Nothing she did "exactly" but she was not exceptional. We never deduct from the gratuities that have already been paid though. Those are "shared" and they deserve many times more than they actually get, IMO.

Or .. I should have said, we "could have" deducted from the pre-paid gratuities, but would never do that.

This is what works for us. DH leaves his auto tips.

I remove my auto tips. I DO TIP the staff that has done the most for me! Usually lido staff/room workers. I do turn in papers for all the good staff. I also tell the front desk lady that everything was perfect, but i believe in tipping personally.

: ) Happy Easter.

I have never heard about this, meaning the tips are used as payroll $. I also only tip in cash. Thank you for the info.

that is incorrect.

those are salaried employees who do not get tips.

your $2 per person goes to carnival where all it does is assist carnival in their pay, as in a payroll pool. so they are saving on payroll dollars, and theoreticall, that $2 could be dropping to their bottom line.

since they started doing this, espeially with that 100 % increase at the end of 2011, i will only tip in cash.

So you don't think waitress share their tips with the bussers at restaurants at home? Its really not tips, but more like a service charge shared by many.

Most of the crew work for about $50 a week. $11.50/per day isn't too much to ask for the excellent service and clean ship you will find.

If someone is concerned about an additional $80 per person, then maybe they shouldn't be cruising.

Oh I know waiters and waitresses share their tips. I have been there done that and wil never work such a field again. I would rather live in a tent and eat squirrels and birds before working that industry again.

I am good with the 11.50 a day. Made it pretty clear I thought. Now about them saving $80 per person? Sadly no. whats bad is they werent thinking per person, they were thinking for all 4 of them. $84 for the 4 in savings. LOL. I explained the $5+ thats goes to food staff that includes buffets. We argued back and forth about how much $ do folks usually leave at buffets and such and at best they are over paying a whopping $2 pp per day.

As far as them shouldnt be cruising? The money isnt an issue, I paid for half their cruise. They can afford it on thier own and are fairly well off. Way better than me. Some folks , especially some who are doign real well financially are some of the biggest penny pinchers ever. These are some of them. They can afford it no problems. They are just a PITA about EVERYTHING concerning money.

Archived