Not happy in port canaveral

jimo

Sincerely, I don't get it...

Carnival states that they board between 1:30 and 3:30...

Passengers show up several hours early and then get pissed off because they have to wait and/or that they are not provided with an explanation.

People on this thread attempted to point out the actual boarding time and several others are accusing those as being cheerleaders for Carnival AND that Carnival is SCREWED up?

Am I missing something?

I'm all for boarding early but if they don't board until the scheduled time, well... dang it all, I took a chance, it didn't work out for me.... that's MY PROBLEM.

I agree...I don't get what the problem is at all. The OP showed up early. His problem if Carnival did not start the boarding early. Carnival did tell him when to show up. Carnival can't help it if CC posters told him to ignore their directions. The point is if you show up early, you take on the risk of waiting until the ship is ready to receive passengers. It's so simple I don't get why so many are getting worked up over it.

I haven't been denied check-in in years. Bad analogy.

Ummm....we were denied on our last cruise vacation. We got off the plane and arrived at our pre-cruise hotel only to find our rooms where not ready yet. They held our luggage in a room as we went off to explore the area until they called us to let us know they were ready. This was not the first time it had happened to us...our fault for getting there early.

Gotta' love Cruise Critic. The OP never complained that they were boarding late. The OP said there was no information. He actually said others were complaining but as is the norm here, the sycophants get their underwear in a bigger bundle than the OP.

But they weren't boarding late....just later than the usual start time which is early. I wouldn't expect an explanation unless it was after 1:30.

Be happy you're cruising not stuck at work like I am. Soon you'll be on Lido eating and I'll still be stuck at work.

Be happy you're stuck at work and not laid off...

I am laid off right now.

Does that make you feel any better?

Bet not...

But they weren't boarding late....just later than the usual start time which is early. I wouldn't expect an explanation unless it was after 1:30.

So you don't think a communication is necessary when boarding is later than 'usual'? Wouldn't you agree that it's at least good PR if they do communicate?

John Heald implied on Facebook today that it was a shortage of immigration staff at the port due to the Sequester, as has been the excuse for lines in Miami at the airport. Of cours, every time I have flown in or our of Miami there have been long lines! My sister and her family are on the Dream now. They did not start boarding anyone until after 12:30 on Saturday.

So you don't think a communication is necessary when boarding is later than 'usual'? Wouldn't you agree that it's at least good PR if they do communicate?

I wouldn't think it necessary to communicate anything if boarding later than "usual" was still before actual boarding time that the cruise line gave you :rolleyes:. It's not the cruise lines problem if you came early and have issues with patience....

I wouldn't think it necessary to communicate anything if boarding later than "usual" was still before actual boarding time that the cruise line gave you :rolleyes:. It's not the cruise lines problem if you came early and have issues with patience....

Every cruise line lets you check in and board early otherwise it would be a nightmare. Good customer service dictates that you don't let people sit in your terminal for two hours without letting them know if there is a delay from the 'usual' boarding time. I think you're just being intellectually dishonest for the purpose of argument.

Every cruise line lets you check in and board early otherwise it would be a nightmare. Good customer service dictates that you don't let people sit in your terminal for two hours without letting them know if there is a delay from the 'usual' boarding time. I think you're just being intellectually dishonest for the purpose of argument.

I think this is perhaps the root of the problem. Its not so much that its Carnivals stated boarding time- 10am is not- but rather an expectation that because you have been allowed on early before, you will always be allowed on early. Really, if Carnival says boarding will start at 1:30 (or whatever time they please) and allow anyone to board earlier than that, then it is a bonus, but not a policy set in stone. Sure, most of the time you will be allowed to board early, but sometimes, as in this case, you can't and you really have no leg to stand on when it comes to demanding information, because the only information you need was presented to you VERY clearly from Carnival stating that boarding starts from X time. It really is that simple. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I think this is perhaps the root of the problem. Its not so much that its Carnivals stated boarding time- 10am is not- but rather an expectation that because you have been allowed on early before, you will always be allowed on early. Really, if Carnival says boarding will start at 1:30 (or whatever time they please) and allow anyone to board earlier than that, then it is a bonus, but not a policy set in stone. Sure, most of the time you will be allowed to board early, but sometimes, as in this case, you can't and you really have no leg to stand on when it comes to demanding information, because the only information you need was presented to you VERY clearly from Carnival stating that boarding starts from X time. It really is that simple. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

James,

Who's demanding information? At the risk of sounding snarky, Carnival is a service industry. If they're gonna' let you into their terminal and check-in then they should at least tell you what time they'll allow you to board if it is later than usual. That's it. A little communication goes a long way in the service industry. I think you either have very low service expectations of you're favorite cruise line or you too are being dishonest about your actual beliefs. By the way, you do know they let people in early to avoid a log jam right? Otherwise wouldn't they just lock the doors?

No just using common sense. This just points out the outrageous sense of entitlement a lot of people think they deserve lately. Yes cruise lines will let you board early if they are allowed to do so. It is an advantage to all involved. Sometimes that just can't happen. IMHO if they can board you by their stated boarding time then they don't owe any explanation. If you choose to get there early that is the chance you take and if you don't have patience then you shouldn't go that early. Carnival does not owe an explanation unless they can't make their scheduled boarding time.

No just using common sense. This just points out the outrageous sense of entitlement a lot of people think they deserve lately. Yes cruise lines will let you board early if they are allowed to do so. It is an advantage to all involved. Sometimes that just can't happen. IMHO if they can board you by their stated boarding time then they don't owe any explanation. If you choose to get there early that is the chance you take and if you don't have patience then you shouldn't go that early. Carnival does not owe an explanation unless they can't make their scheduled boarding time.

I guess you don't work in the service industry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope...but I don't see why that matters. I can't think of any situation where I would expect an explanation from any company for doing what they said they would do. :rolleyes:

Nope...but I don't see why that matters. I can't think of any situation where I would expect an explanation from any company for doing what they said they would do. :rolleyes:

Good service also involves people handling skills.

This thread just points up the need for good people handling skills and the need for an employee to communicate with passengers.

If you are handling customers well, then they would not be so unhappy about not being told what is happening.

I think that the most important key to happy customers is acting like you care about their issues...even if you don't.

This is about customers getting on a vacation boat, not soldiers boarding a troop transport.

Well, it explains some of it but not all.

I do work in a service industry. I am a sales manager for a large retailer.

Did the customers in this situation need to know why there was a delay? Would it have made a difference if they had made an announcement?

I can confidently answer no to both of these questions. The OP showed up earlier than Carnival suggests for normal boarding. Why would Carnival need to explain why they are still on schedule? It's no different than if a customer buys a product from my store's website, then comes to the store to pick up the item before getting the conformation email that the order is ready because they did not read the disclaimer on the order site that says to wait for a conformation email, then getting mad because the order isn't ready.

Do companies drop the ball on customer service? Yes. But customer's expectations have become just as unreasonable, to the point that a company diminishes its brand value by bending the rules to appease customers because they threaten to complain or cause a scene, or they have unreasonable demands.

I understand the companies and the customers point of view because I live both points of view every day.

Good service also involves people handling skills.

This thread just points up the need for good people handling skills and the need for an employee to communicate with passengers.

If you are handling customers well, then they would not be so unhappy about not being told what is happening.

I think that the most important key to happy customers is acting like you care about their issues...even if you don't.

This is about customers getting on a vacation boat, not soldiers boarding a troop transport.

This is about customers getting to a vacation boat early and then being upset about having to wait until the boat was ready to board....which was the time the boat said they could board:rolleyes:. Please give an example of where you would expect any other company to offer an explanation for doing what they told you they would do. I can't think of any and I wouldn't expect it of Carnival either.

Let me get this straight .... YOU made the decision to get to the port HOURS before you are suppose to and now it is Carnival's fault that you are having to wait????

Last time I checked....the official boarding time was not 10AM....

Finally someone came up with a correct response! Good job!

This is about customers getting to a vacation boat early and then being upset about having to wait until the boat was ready to board....which was the time the boat said they could board:rolleyes:. Please give an example of where you would expect any other company to offer an explanation for doing what they told you they would do. I can't think of any and I wouldn't expect it of Carnival either.

Doesn't look like they could come up with any examples either....funny how they want to hold Carnival to such a higher standard than they expect from any other company.:rolleyes:

I do work in a service industry. I am a sales manager for a large retailer.

Did the customers in this situation need to know why there was a delay? Would it have made a difference if they had made an announcement?

I can confidently answer no to both of these questions. The OP showed up earlier than Carnival suggests for normal boarding. Why would Carnival need to explain why they are still on schedule? It's no different than if a customer buys a product from my store's website, then comes to the store to pick up the item before getting the conformation email that the order is ready because they did not read the disclaimer on the order site that says to wait for a conformation email, then getting mad because the order isn't ready.

Do companies drop the ball on customer service? Yes. But customer's expectations have become just as unreasonable, to the point that a company diminishes its brand value by bending the rules to appease customers because they threaten to complain or cause a scene, or they have unreasonable demands.

I understand the companies and the customers point of view because I live both points of view every day.

Seriously? So when a customer walks into your store before it's open do you let them know what time you're open or do you just ignore them until it's time to open? You're making this to easy. :rolleyes:

Seriously? So when a customer walks into your store before it's open do you let them know what time you're open or do you just ignore them until it's time to open? You're making this to easy. :rolleyes:

Why would you leave your doors unlocked before you are open?? Lock the doors no explanation needed :rolleyes:.

Archived