Not happy in port canaveral

jimo

James,

Who's demanding information? At the risk of sounding snarky, Carnival is a service industry. If they're gonna' let you into their terminal and check-in then they should at least tell you what time they'll allow you to board if it is later than usual. That's it. A little communication goes a long way in the service industry. I think you either have very low service expectations of you're favorite cruise line or you too are being dishonest about your actual beliefs. By the way, you do know they let people in early to avoid a log jam right? Otherwise wouldn't they just lock the doors?

First of all, it is hardly my favorite cruise line- if the price is right and the itinerary good I would sail with anyone so no cheer-leading here, just common sense. I am sure everyone here agrees that if boarding was late then yes, provide information. But in this case, it was not late (at the time of posting). All of these passengers- not just the OP- arrived early and are upset that they cannot get on. And the doors to the ship are locked. Think of it like an airport. If your flight is at 3pm, sure, you can check in early but that doesn't mean you are going to be able to just waltz onto the aircraft whenever YOU feel is an appropriate time. Sure, go sit in the terminal for as long as it takes, which is what these people have had to do, but don't bitch and moan because you can't get on. And please, its not as though people are not informed what time to expect to board. It is clearly stated when you book, and communicated to you prior to your cruise. It is not a national secret.

But the cruise line doesn't lock their doors. They let people in.

Ah...no they keep the doors to the ship locked until they are ready for you to board (or open the store in your example)....they just provide a place for you sit while you are waiting....nice of them don't you think.

Hey the boat can get back late due to weather or other issue's there for you going to board later. Most cruises leave at 4pm ish. We always shoot for out VIP Check in towards 1pm..

I never realized how many people are so quick to bitch and moan or be cheap. If you rolled with me Id smack you in the mouth two or three times:eek::eek::eek::eek:

First of all, it is hardly my favorite cruise line- if the price is right and the itinerary good I would sail with anyone so no cheer-leading here, just common sense. I am sure everyone here agrees that if boarding was late then yes, provide information. But in this case, it was not late (at the time of posting). All of these passengers- not just the OP- arrived early and are upset that they cannot get on. And the doors to the ship are locked. Think of it like an airport. If your flight is at 3pm, sure, you can check in early but that doesn't mean you are going to be able to just waltz onto the aircraft whenever YOU feel is an appropriate time. Sure, go sit in the terminal for as long as it takes, which is what these people have had to do, but don't bitch and moan because you can't get on. And please, its not as though people are not informed what time to expect to board. It is clearly stated when you book, and communicated to you prior to your cruise. It is not a national secret.

Your analogy is based on a false premise. Unlike cruiselines, airlines don't let you on their planes hours early. To suggest it isn't good customer service to keep your clients informed means a lack of understanding of the simple ways to keep customers happy or you're playing the contrarian. By the way, he wasn't 'bitching' that he wasn't getting on. His complaint was there was no communication.

Your analogy is based on a false premise. Unlike cruiselines, airlines don't let you on their planes hours early. To suggest it isn't good customer service to keep your clients informed means a lack of understanding of the simple ways to keep customers happy or you're playing the contrarian. By the way, he wasn't 'bitching' that he wasn't getting on. His complaint was there was no communication.

There was no need for communication....they were not late in letting them on. OP was impatient because HE got there early and had to wait until they were ready for him. I don't think I have ever had 2 cruises board at the same time. They have been all over the board with boarding times. Some are earlier. Some are later. An explanation is only owed if the later is AFTER their published boarding times. Expecting anything else is unreasonable on the part of the cruiser.

Your analogy is based on a false premise. Unlike cruiselines, airlines don't let you on their planes hours early.

And we are back to the point I tried to make earlier. Just because in the past people may have been allowed to board earlier than the stated time, or the fact that everyone on CC may have told them to ignore the stated time and arrive whenever they feel like, the bottom line is the STATED Boarding time is not 10am.

Perhaps *some* blame can be laid on Carnival here. Not because they were not starting boarding until the stated time, but because in the past they HAVE let people board early and set something of a precedent. People have come to expect that they will be allowed on early regardless of what their ticket and email says.

Perhaps they do need to either say boarding will start from 10am or whatever it is, or just keep the doors locked until the stated boarding time for all cruises so people don't come in too early and expect to be let on. Because clearly the clearly stated time on your ticket, and the clearly stated time on the email you receive before sailing is a little too confusing.

And we are back to the point I tried to make earlier. Just because in the past people may have been allowed to board earlier than the stated time, or the fact that everyone on CC may have told them to ignore the stated time and arrive whenever they feel like, the bottom line is the STATED Boarding time is not 10am.

Perhaps *some* blame can be laid on Carnival here. Not because they were not starting boarding until the stated time, but because in the past they HAVE let people board early and set something of a precedent. People have come to expect that they will be allowed on early regardless of what their ticket and email says.

Perhaps they do need to either say boarding will start from 10am or whatever it is, or just keep the doors locked until the stated boarding time for all cruises so people don't come in too early and expect to be let on. Because clearly the clearly stated time on your ticket, and the clearly stated time on the email you receive before sailing is a little too confusing.

Yes, that is one solution or just keep people informed when the are expecting to let people on. In all the cruises I've been on, once the terminal starts getting busy, they always informed us when they anticipated boarding would start...even Carnival. I think we actually have some common ground here. :D

Yes, that is one solution or just keep people informed when the are expecting to let people on. In all the cruises I've been on, once the terminal starts getting busy, they always informed us when they anticipated boarding would start...even Carnival. I think we actually have some common ground here. :D

Oh I am sure we have a lot of common ground, and I can assure you I am not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of it. As far as I am concerned, everyone there WAS informed what time boarding was expected to start. They were informed at the time of booking, and no doubt by email prior to sailing. Just because they were in the terminal nothing has changed regarding the expected boarding time and the only time I would expect Carnival to inform the crowd of anything is if the advised boarding time passed and boarding had not yet started.

Anyhoo, It is funny to think that the OP will probably come back from their cruise and we will all still be here arguing about what is and isn't good customer service, and people walking into shops or planes or Dsneyland before it has opened. :p

Oh I am sure we have a lot of common ground, and I can assure you I am not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of it. As far as I am concerned, everyone there WAS informed what time boarding was expected to start. They were informed at the time of booking, and no doubt by email prior to sailing. Just because they were in the terminal nothing has changed regarding the expected boarding time and the only time I would expect Carnival to inform the crowd of anything is if the advised boarding time passed and boarding had not yet started.

Anyhoo, It is funny to think that the OP will probably come back from their cruise and we will all still be here arguing about what is and isn't good customer service, and people walking into shops or planes or Dsneyland before it has opened. :p

Let's hope not.:eek:

Ok, people. The ship sailed 5 days ago. The OP is halfway through their cruise by now. Is it not time to give this subject a rest?

Sure the ship has sailed, but none of us are on it. Therefore, putting a message board to discuss such things to good use.

Archived