CCL Virgin Gorda Snorkel-anyone done this?

Gopherpharm

My group (mid 20's, average fitness but no avid swimmers) signed up for this excursion, and I didn't notice the "300 yard open swim" part. I'm wondering if anyone has done this excursion and knows if you are given a life jacket for the swim, or your snorkel equipment. I'm not sure we can do 300 yards without the life jacket and/or snorkel equipment...

Here's the description from the website.

Enjoy this unique experience of a scenic cruise through the islands followed by snorkeling and beach time at beautiful Virgin Gorda.

Board your snorkel boat at the pier and enjoy a 35 minute cruise to your anchor location, just off the famous rock formations known as The Baths. Your snorkel guides will accompany you in your 300 yard open water swim from the boat to one of the sand beaches where you will begin your snorkel experience. Swim from the beach to the rocks where you will enjoy snorkel time, viewing the wonderful marine life beneath the water, before returning to the beach with your guide.

On foot, explore the trail through the giant boulders to the next beach where you can relax on the sand before either swimming or snorkeling back to your boat. Back onboard, enjoy a complimentary fruit punch as you journey back to your ship.

Minimum age 8 years.

We can do a different excursion if this is indeed, a 300 yard unassisted swim!

Have not taken this excursion but we have seen people swim from boats moored off shore and they were exhausted when they got there due to strong currents. There was a bit of a swell that day too.

We're not great swimmers so would not make this swim but it's dependent on you as well as the sea conditions. I'm durprised they don't bring folks in to shore on a dinghy...

Sorry, not much help!

It's ok, thanks for trying. Of course there are only two reviews of this excursion on the Carnival website. I'm thinking of erring on the side of caution and switching to the excursion that brings you to the baths from the top...I'd rather not completely exhaust myself swimming in strong current and not be able to enjoy the actual baths as much! I may also call Carnival and see if they can give me insight, or connect me with the tour operator they contract with to see if they give you snorkeling equipment, etc. and toss you off the boat or what.

Don't know if you're in port long enough to take the patouche cat or not (patouche dot com)? If not several people have taken Dion's boat over and he drops you at the beach. You've probably seen the many threads on that?

It's a 7am-2pm stop and I don't want to chance getting off the boat late and missing the baths...it's probably the thing I'm most excited about for the entire trip! Since it's such a short stop, the cruise line excursion makes sense for us. I wish we were there longer, then I'd be confident to venture out on our own.

I understand and agree that the Baths excursion is a must-do even with limited time. We take land-based vacations to Tortola and I highly recommend that because of the close proximity of the islands to one another and the beauty that each island offers.

Archived