Epic vs. FOS for a 4 year old?

ToddlerMom

We've put a deposit down on the FOS for December. The price is comparable between the two and they are both Eastern Caribbean. I chose FOS over the Epic for 2 main reasons. First, FOS goes to CocoCay and the Epic goes to Nassau. Second, the Epic doesn't have oceanview cabins and DH claims to be terrified of having a balcony cabin with DD. (we've cruised before and he knows there is no risk with balconies but that doesn't stop him from being scared)

I think DD might enjoy the Nickelodeon theme better than Dreamworks. She loves Dora and has never seen any Dreamworks movies.

The other ships with the Nickelodeon characters (Jewel, Gem and Breakaway) don't work for us in the week when we can cruise.

I know both lines have a good reputation for their kids programs but do you think one of these two ships would have a better quality kids program? It does seem like NCL might be a bit more family oriented than RCL.

We've put a deposit down on the FOS for December. The price is comparable between the two and they are both Eastern Caribbean. I chose FOS over the Epic for 2 main reasons. First, FOS goes to CocoCay and the Epic goes to Nassau. Second, the Epic doesn't have oceanview cabins and DH claims to be terrified of having a balcony cabin with DD. (we've cruised before and he knows there is no risk with balconies but that doesn't stop him from being scared)

I think DD might enjoy the Nickelodeon theme better than Dreamworks. She loves Dora and has never seen any Dreamworks movies.

The other ships with the Nickelodeon characters (Jewel, Gem and Breakaway) don't work for us in the week when we can cruise.

I know both lines have a good reputation for their kids programs but do you think one of these two ships would have a better quality kids program? It does seem like NCL might be a bit more family oriented than RCL.

RCL is very family oriented. The 3-5 age group is excellent, IMO. I have no experience with NCL.

We have not been on the Epic but we did the FOS Western Carib last November with our 4 year old son and loved the ship. Adventure Ocean was great, especially liked how they came to the main dining room to pick up the kids around 6:30 so we could more leisurely finish our meal. We enjoyed the ice skating, parade, mini golf, and pool area were all fun for kids. He enjoyed strolling the promenade each evening before bedtime to get a snack.

Our son has loved the kids clubs on every line he's been on (Disney, Carnival, RCL). He still remembers the counselors nicknamed Ladybug and Popcorn from RCL. It doesn't take much to keep our 4 year old happy and the clubs are great to give us parents a break for some fun time of our own!

Enjoy your trip!

We've been on both ships - the EPIC twice with a third scheduled. I'd save the Epic for when your child is old enough to really enjoy all the ship has to offer. The spider web, trampoline, bowling alley, Fabulous - large waterslides all will be much more fun when just a little older.

If water time is a focus - you should check out Carnival Breeze. My daughter spent LOTS of time in the huge waterworks area.

I'd read somewhere that AO was kind of cramped. Is that correct? Is the kids area on the Epic more spacious? Also it looks like the Epic has a one of those ballpit/kid play areas. Does AO have anything like that?

This may depend on the ship. On Mariner (slightly smaller ship than FOS), the 3-5 area was TINY. The nursery was about the same size as the 3-5 AO area!

In our experience, the 3-5 AO group is geared towards the younger end of the age group. It's mostly organized activities and the staff is pushy about participation. Our daughter liked it when she was 3 but was bored with it when she was 5.

Archived