best beach for snorkling

mike brosky

Hi - We haven't been yet but I have done a good bit of reading the threads on Cruise Critic and here's what I've found:

Sapphire Beach seems to have very positive reviews going back many years. From what I've read, it sounds like abeautiful beach, crystal blue water & lots of reefs beginning not far off shore and going for some distance. Like most Caribbean reefs, it isn't what it was 10-20 years ago. That spot has bathrooms, chair & gear rentals, plus the pictures look great. Reminds me of Roatan's West End/Tabayana Beach.

The other one mentioned a lot is Coki, but it sounds like it is overrun. They also closed it recently due to heavy rains & runoff that fouled the water.

If you want to see turtles and/or rays, there are a number of local companies that take you to a couple of known places, mixing that with reef & fish. You can do that through your cruise ship or independently. On your own, you assume the time risks.

A third option is to ferry over to St. John, which is mostly a national park and has several highly regard spots. However, the transfer from cab to ferry to cab then back seems a bit hectic and again runs into time constraints. The cruise excursions I saw seem to go to the most traveled spots, like Trunk Bay, so you might as well stay on St. Thomas. If I felt adventurous I'd go for Waterlemon Cay on St. John, which requires the cab-ferry-cab, a 30 minute hike to the water & has no facilities, then you have to find a cab or hitchhike back (or rent a car.) Too much worry for the reward for us.

Please post a review of what you actually do!

can anyone tell me the best beach in st thomas to snorkle close to port

Nothing close to port for snorkeling, sorry. Lindbergh Bay (home of the BW Emerald Beach Resort is a decent enough beach near the airport and east of Crown Bay, and Morningstar Beach to the west of Havensight is OK. But no snorkeling to speak of at either.

The East End beaches are the prime beach and snorkel spots, either Secret Harbor, Sapphire, or Coki all of which are very nice. If you decide to taxi to the East End it's a 1/2 hr, $18pp roundtrip from Havensight -

SH is a small protected bay with very calm water. No shade, home to 1 condo resort with a restaurant. Thnds to get a little busy because it's a small bay.

Sapphire is a larger bay that is also home to 3 condo resorts (very safe like SH), a less protected bay but offers excellent snorkeling (sea grass area, swimming area, reef area, and a shoal area). Our favorite beach for the day with any amenities/food you need and plenty of natural shade and nice island views.

Coki gets some questionable comments because there are several local vendors there vying for your business but it is the nicest beach on the island IMHO. Just gets crowded because it's such a small bay.

Here's a map showing the beach locations -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

Nothing close to port for snorkeling, sorry. Lindbergh Bay (home of the BW Emerald Beach Resort is a decent enough beach near the airport and east of Crown Bay, and Morningstar Beach to the west of Havensight is OK. But no snorkeling to speak of at either.

The East End beaches are the prime beach and snorkel spots, either Secret Harbor, Sapphire, or Coki all of which are very nice. If you decide to taxi to the East End it's a 1/2 hr, $18pp roundtrip from Havensight -

SH is a small protected bay with very calm water. No shade, home to 1 condo resort with a restaurant. Thnds to get a little busy because it's a small bay.

Sapphire is a larger bay that is also home to 3 condo resorts (very safe like SH), a less protected bay but offers excellent snorkeling (sea grass area, swimming area, reef area, and a shoal area). Our favorite beach for the day with any amenities/food you need and plenty of natural shade and nice island views.

Coki gets some questionable comments because there are several local vendors there vying for your business but it is the nicest beach on the island IMHO. Just gets crowded because it's such a small bay.

Here's a map showing the beach locations -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

Bluewater: First, thanks. As I've been perusing these boards you give consistently thorough & insightful information. I appreciate it.

Am I correct that one would need a trip to see turtles and/or rays? I realize nothing is certain at sea and that weather, etc. can change conditions on short notice. We've snorkeled a number of Caribbean reefs, and my wife loves turtles, so your advice on this is also appreciated. Thanks!

Sapphire has a sea grass area where turtles and rays can be spotted, but no guarantee of course. I would expect better results on one of the daysail excursions that hit the better snorkeling spots off the cays of St John, for example. I know you can see turtles and a ray or 2 in Maho or Francis Bays on St John. But also take a look at the day sails that frequent the cays off St John like Yacht Nightwind, High Pockets, there are just so many to choose from on vinow dot com under St Thomas and St John.

One way to find reviews on good spots is to read the reviews on these daysails on tripadvisor. And others here with more snorkel experience than I have will also chime in now that you are looking at something other than a beach close to port. This is a bigger excursion, but there are some good spots for what you are looking for.

I would head to Sapphire Beach. Find a taxi and tell them to pick you up at a certain time. Most are willing to do your return trip.

We saw rays, tons of fish, lots of flounder sitting on the bottom, eel.

The beach is so beautiful. We loved it so much we are renting next year for a week on Sapphire. They come around taking drink and food orders.

You can rent chairs from the dive shop and any equipment you need. There are outside rinse off spots and restroom facilities. It's very safe. There are condos right there on the beach but all beaches are public in St. Thomas.

Have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

Sapphire is a beautiful beach. Coki is also gorgeous and if you'd like a livilier atmosphere Coki is it because it's a much smaller bay and gets crowded.

The best way to experience Sapphire is to head there early and get a nice shaded spot. Taxi from port will be $9 - 12pp each way depnding on where you dock, and there are plenty of taxis at Sapphire so no need to have a driver return unless you want that.

Sapphire Beach is home to 3 condo resorts - the blue-roofed bldgs of the Sapphire Village up the hill behind the marina, Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina with 6 red-roofed bldgs directly on the beach or facing the marina, and Crystal Cove which is made up of the white bldgs that are set back a bit on the north end of the bay. There are no vendors bothering you other than the runners mentioned below. The beach is free to the public.

When you enter the beach from the lobby you'll see the sandy swimming section directly in front of you, to the right will be the reef area, and to the right of that is a shoal area that also offers good snorkeling. To the left of the swimming area is a sea grass area where you may spot a sea turtle or a ray.

The dive center rents chairs, floaties, snorkel gear, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards and also sells beer and a good rum punch ($3 & 4).

The Banana Cabana is a beach grill between condo bldgs B & C and their mahi mahi sandwich is excellent ($12). They also make tropical drinks, their beer prices are $1 higher than the dive center. They have a runner taking orders on the beach.

The Sapphire griis a small "restaurant" up the hill behind the marina, they also have a runner taking beach orders.

The Sapphire Marina is home to many of the popular day sail and fishing excursions and there are also jet-ski rentals there.

There's a small point (Pretty Klip Point) jutting out bu the condo swimming pool, take a walk out there for nice photo ops. Many people get married there. The pool is for resort guests only.

The Sapphire restaurant and pool bar have been closed for some time and are in disrepair and many people consider the resort to be run-down because of that. But that impacts resort guests moreso than day visitors. We rent at the SBR&M and it's a gorgeous beach to stay on and we love staying there. No other STT beach offers the nice shaded beach and gorgeous water colors, snorkeling, and island views. A new property management company is involved and hopefully the restaurant and pool bar issue will be addressed soon.

Have a great day at Sapphire, and if time allows stop at Paradise Point to enjoy the amazing views from there before heading back to the ship!

Archived