Costa, Smoking Policy and Solo Travellers

Frequent Flyer

I am sick of this.

WHY do you cruise with Costa huh? Dont you research IF its THAT important to you!

As a NON SMOKER -(very proud reformed but nice ex smoker) let me tell you - I just spent the weekend at an amazing country house wedding - marquee on the lawn - live band, DJ, clubbing DJ - singers, karaoke - full party

the BEST company and most sociable people = the smokers...

We spent the night sitting with the smokers - LOADS more fun

As I cruise as a non smoker - I cannot help but think I will still wander into smokers paradise -

where the party is always louder and the fun always plentiful ;)

And strewth - keep - me - away - from - soddin anti smokin' zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs!

How dare you assume that I do not research my cruises and other holidays I take.

I am well aware of the smoking on not just Costa but other cruise lines and as an ex-smoker do NOT expect to travel in a non-smoking paradise. However the point I was making if you cared to read properly was that they did NOT stick to the designated areas and whether they are sociable or not doesn't matter to me at all.

If you want to sit with the 'party' people do so - but I personally do not want to smell like an old ash tray after the pain I went through to finally break the habit.:mad:

How dare you assume that I do not research my cruises and other holidays I take.

I am well aware of the smoking on not just Costa but other cruise lines and as an ex-smoker do NOT expect to travel in a non-smoking paradise. However the point I was making if you cared to read properly was that they did NOT stick to the designated areas and whether they are sociable or not doesn't matter to me at all.

If you want to sit with the 'party' people do so - but I personally do not want to smell like an old ash tray after the pain I went through to finally break the habit.:mad:

And how dare you assume I was referring to you personally. I did not quote you - and was referring to the anti smokers in general who seem to constantly rant about avoiding smokers. Costa IS a smoker friendly line. If "ONE" doesnt like it - one should cruise with another line.

Just back from Costa Deliozioa and found that we couldn't really escape from the smokers. The whole of deck 3 - Promenade deck was used for smoking, mainly crew during the day . We wondered whether this was the reason for there not being deck chairs , which is a pity as its a very wide deck and one where on other ships, we tend to sit for a bit of peace and quiet in the afternoons.

The rear of deck nine was supposed to be designated for smokers on one side, but this didn't stop anyone from lighting up wherever they wanted. What did amaze me was the amount of people with young children and babies who were seated in the smoking areas seemingly oblivious to the dangers of passive smoking to their kids.

We were luck that we didn't have smokers on either side of us on the balcony, however as we were on deck 5, could regularly smell it from the Prom deck 2 floors down.:(

I'm surprised that you found smokers where they shouldn't be. We were on the Mediterranea in July and staff were quick to point out correct smoking areas to people inadvertently lighting up in the non-smoking area.

However, I did notice people (non-smokers) using seats in the smoking area too, leaving smokers with nowhere to sit. (If they're with smokers, fair enough).

Sorry, can't accept that smoke is a problem 2 decks up. You may get the odd whiff but it's not like smoking in an enclosed area is it? As you say you researched the cruiseline and as you went ahead and booked I assume you accepted you would smell smoke at some point.

Can't comment on Deck 3 but many crew members do smoke and I can't see why this would bother you, either.

I'm surprised that you found smokers where they shouldn't be. We were on the Mediterranea in July and staff were quick to point out correct smoking areas to people inadvertently lighting up in the non-smoking area.

However, I did notice people (non-smokers) using seats in the smoking area too, leaving smokers with nowhere to sit. (If they're with smokers, fair enough).

Sorry, can't accept that smoke is a problem 2 decks up. You may get the odd whiff but it's not like smoking in an enclosed area is it? As you say you researched the cruiseline and as you went ahead and booked I assume you accepted you would smell smoke at some point.

Can't comment on Deck 3 but many crew members do smoke and I can't see why this would bother you, either.

I can assure you that we did get smoke rising from deck three, and whilst I agree its not like an enclosed area, it was still obvious.

We also accept that people do smoke, the point I am making is that this was not just in the designated areas and staff seemed unconcerned when this was pointed out to them.

With regards to deck 3, every ship we have been on before has a no smoking side. This did not appear to happen on Costa Deliozia, where all around the deck smoking was allowed. Unfortunately this did seem to deter people from using the deck with the exception of crew.

I am not one of these 'born-again' non-smokers who thinks all smokers should be ostracised and kept well away from others, my argument is that people should comply and endeavour to live in harmony with others around them.

I do wonder if it all down to pot luck. I know on our Magica cruise - it was absolutely saturated with smokers, and yet since, have read reviews of Magica where smoke was not an issue for non smokers.

Is it just a case of "luck of the draw" (pardon the pun;))

I know on NeoRomantica when we travelled as smokers, some of our family were non smokers and they found the ventilation on the smokers side so intense it was not a problem - only issue was all the ladies needed pashmina wraps as there was a definite chilly air blowing.

On Magica - we still smoked - it was my last time ever cruising as a smoker. the smoke was well - very very heavy indeed. BUT - I know other cruisers on here have since cruised Magica - and had no issues

so - maybe its all just down to random numbers

We are cruising with smokers in September - but have to confess have bought my friend an ECIGAR - it looks pretty cool actually - big fat cigar style - and maybe he will quit - we shall see :p

I still cant believe I quit!! I still think of myself as a smoker - and yet am nearly a year smoke free now.

£7600 - that was the amount I spent between Oct 11 and Oct 12 in the local cash and carry on cigarettes. On top of that - I bought of course in the EU when travelling, and also in supermarkets etc.

Hence - September cruise :)

Not giving this government one more unnecessary penny!

Loving the ££££££s Ive saved!

Just hope I never become an anti smoking militant!:o

Happens on other cruise lines too. I was on Crystal Serenity a couple of years ago, you could find smoking if you looked. But the next cruise, there was reportedly a group of 150 Japanese who smoked like chimneys, wherever they pleased. Some very unhappy passengers.

I've also been on Mediterranea once when the first night, the lobby was utterly vile, but after that it calmed down considerably. And Deliziosa this April, what few smokers there were, always used the smoking areas.

I've been on B2B cruises (Costa and others) that were so different I wondered if I was on the same ship.

And how dare you assume I was referring to you personally. I did not quote you - and was referring to the anti smokers in general who seem to constantly rant about avoiding smokers. Costa IS a smoker friendly line. If "ONE" doesnt like it - one should cruise with another line.

Well said I was on Pacifica last year & we had no problems (I am a smoker) nobody complained & non smokers were joining us. Going on Pacifica again in Sept so hope it is the same

Happens on other cruise lines too. I was on Crystal Serenity a couple of years ago, you could find smoking if you looked. But the next cruise, there was reportedly a group of 150 Japanese who smoked like chimneys, wherever they pleased. Some very unhappy passengers.

I've also been on Mediterranea once when the first night, the lobby was utterly vile, but after that it calmed down considerably. And Deliziosa this April, what few smokers there were, always used the smoking areas.

I've been on B2B cruises (Costa and others) that were so different I wondered if I was on the same ship.

I was on a Carnival ship - B2B and 8 followed by a 6 night - it was SO like two different ships - the 8 nighter was fabulous - lovely people, great food, entertainment etc - then - slump - the 6 nighter - OMG :eek: I finally got the walmart/carnival thing going on.... Just goes to show - same ship - different pax - who knows - but that I guess is what we all love about the mystery of cruising ;)

I did a med cruise ón Costa in July and experienced a lot of passengers smoking almost everywhere except the buffet restaurant and the main digning room. Even at the piano bar the Italians would be smoking heavily at Night, hiding their children whom they had brought along in a cloud of smoke. Many passengers also kept on smoking during refuelling even though it was strictly prohibited.

Archived