6/4 Diamond Cruise -- My Take

ModestMeans

Several others have posted their thoughts on the 6/4 - 6/11 Diamond cruise -- it's interesting to see the differing opinions. Here's my perspective:

I was cruising with my 2 teen sons. 4th cruise overall, 1st on Princess.

Embarkation: We arrived at pier at around 11:15 a.m. Took baggage to security drop off with very small line then got in very long line for check in. Once the agents were in place and they began processing, the line moved along rather well. Was on ship by 1:15.

Cabin: We were in a minisuite on Dolphin deck. I've read where others complained of a sewer smell but we didn't notice anything of the kind. This was a great room -- plenty large enough for the 3 of us. With the beautiful weather we were lucky enough to get, we were able to use the balcony quite a bit. Rarely saw our steward but he was very efficient.

Ship: Beautiful ship. Well designed and never seemed crowded. Relatively easy to get around with plenty of elevators.

Food: This was the biggest disappointment. A major reason we selected Diamond was for the 4 themed restaurants only to have the specialty menus done away with just weeks before our cruise. In addition, I thought the food offered was below par, especially the steaks (dry & tough). We tried all of the PC dining rooms -- all same menu so only difference was wait staff.

Horizon Court food was so-so. Contrary to what I had read, we never experienced very long lines even on the days when the crew was serving because of the virus scare. Also never had trouble finding a seat. By the pool, pizza was good but burgers were precooked and rewarmed when ordered. Room service: good service but limited menu -- best thing was the burgers (much jucier than the burger bar).

Entertainment: Didn't see the production shows but the comedian, Eliott Max, was hilarious. A wide range of activities were offered -- played the triva games and were lucky enough to win a few. The cruise director left something to be desired but his staff was good -- all cheerful and energetic. The onboard naturalist's narration of our trip through Tracy Arm made a wonderful experience even better.

Excursions: Helicopter glacier landing in Juneau, rental car & drive to Emerald Lake in Skagway, and Misty Fijords flightseeing in Ketchikan -- because of beautiful weather, all were amazing and highly recommended.

Disembarkation: Once our color was called, moved along very well -- didn't take over 45 min. to be out & in taxi.

Overall, a very good trip. I made an open booking on board so expect to sail Princess again.

Jim

Thanks for giving us your review on the Diamond - I enjoy reading other cruisers opinions. We are looking forward to our cruise in August - was alittle upset about the change in the PC dining rooms. Did your teens visit the Off Limits teen center?

Thanks for your quick response! :D Do you happen to remember what the ages for the teen center are? Seems like last year when we on the Diamond, they had age 13 with the younger kids. My DS will just be turning 13 in July and would love to go to the teen center - he didn't care for the planned activities in the Kids Club.

Dear Modest - please tell me that Diamond was on time to Juneau and Victoria. So much talk of this and I know many are worried about shore excursions, shopping, sightseeing, etc. Thanks so much for your review. gg

gg, the Diamond has not arrived in Juneau on time yet this year. I talked to the head of customer relations last week on the ship and was told that the ship still has a damaged prop. The prop is scheduled for repair in November. He would only tell me that the reason the ship was late to Juneau was due to bad weather and leaving Seattle late. I never noticed any bad weather during our transit to Juneau. I think the ship is going slower because of the damaged prop. Just except the fact that the ship will most likely be late. The tour operators expect this and are starting to plan on it. Most all the shops are open late. Mike

Hmmm....I have a 2:15 excursion scheduled for Juneu in July. Ship is scheduled to arrive at 12:30. The tour is through Princess (Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake). Think we'll make it?

We were scheduled to meet our excursion van at 2:15 -- luckily, we just made it (we were walking down the gang plank when the van pulled in). For those on Princess tours, they were able to reschedule quite a few (sounded like most) but some were cancelled.

Hmmm....I have a 2:15 excursion scheduled for Juneu in July. Ship is scheduled to arrive at 12:30. The tour is through Princess (Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake). Think we'll make it?

It is not too late to "edit" your excursions on the personalizer.. if they offer the same thing later you could change it to be sure. Like MM said, some tours were cancelled off the ship and others were rescheduled.. Salmon bake would be no problem late and they may offer a combo tour that you are on at 3:30??? just a thought.. sorry I don't have time to go over there and check...

Archived