The Triumph Episode ...Nagging thoughts

jtwanabe

The emergency generators were brought online in both situations, but they only provide limited power for essential functions.

Read this again. I am not talking about emergengy electricity, I'm wondering about the three engines and generator in the OTHER engine room. If they weren't or could not be brought on line, that is a design flaw that should have been corrected after the Splendor fire. Can anyone tell me of another ship that lost power and had to be towed for days?

About the Splendor fire

The ship has three engines in the aft engine room and three in a forward engine room. Each generator is connected to two switchboards. The failure of a single engine or generator should not normally cause a total power loss.[23] Clark Dodge, former chief engineer for Washington State Ferries, said, "If things were designed properly, all the power shouldn't have gone out

Read this again. I am not talking about emergengy electricity, I'm wondering about the three engines and generator in the OTHER engine room. If they weren't or could not be brought on line, that is a design flaw that should have been corrected after the Splendor fire. Can anyone tell me of another ship that lost power and had to be towed for days?

About the Splendor fire

The ship has three engines in the aft engine room and three in a forward engine room. Each generator is connected to two switchboards. The failure of a single engine or generator should not normally cause a total power loss.[23] Clark Dodge, former chief engineer for Washington State Ferries, said, "If things were designed properly, all the power shouldn't have gone out

This has been discussed. The USCG noted that the engines in Triumph's second, unaffected engine room could have been restarted. The concern was that the fire suppression system had exhausted the supply of Halon, making it unsafe to run the engines since a second fire couldn't be extinguished.

The Splendor fire was a completely different situation.

When my husband got deployed to Haiti after the earthquake, they had to poop in bags too. They used them to line a bucket and had a board thing that went over the top of it to sit on. All these years later and no sign of being traumatized by not having a toilet. Oh and they had to sleep the first night right next to the tarmac at the airport on the ground. A lot worse conditions than the Triumph ever was.

Not to nitpick but your Husband didn't pay to be deployed, they paid him. He knew what he was signing up for and went to do his duty. There were plenty of people on the Triumph with age and medical issues. This would be a hardship on them. You're comparing apples to bowling balls.

Not to nitpick but your Husband didn't pay to be deployed, they paid him. He knew what he was signing up for and went to do his duty. There were plenty of people on the Triumph with age and medical issues. This would be a hardship on them. You're comparing apples to bowling balls.

Well, DUH!! I wasn't saying that he wasn't paid. I didn't even want him there risking his life. No amount of money to me was worth it.

What I WAS saying was that he is in no way traumatized by having to poop in a bag. BTW, he didn't receive "training" on how the defecate in a bag. And just because you are getting paid for something, doesn't make it any better. If you think it does, then I guess the Triumph passengers should be OK with it too since they got a refund, a free cruise, and $500. Sounds kind if stupid, right?! Well so is your comment.

If you're that fragile that you can't handle the unexpected, then maybe you should stay home. No guarantees there, either though. Conditions less than ideal? Yep. End of the world? Give me a break.

Well, DUH!! I wasn't saying that he wasn't paid. I didn't even want him there risking his life. No amount of money to me was worth it.

What I WAS saying was that he is in no way traumatized by having to poop in a bag. BTW, he didn't receive "training" on how the defecate in a bag. And just because you are getting paid for something, doesn't make it any better. If you think it does, then I guess the Triumph passengers should be OK with it too since they got a refund, a free cruise, and $500. Sounds kind if stupid, right?! Well so is your comment.

If you're that fragile that you can't handle the unexpected, then maybe you should stay home. No guarantees there, either though. Conditions less than ideal? Yep. End of the world? Give me a break.

Well, for starters, to call it less than ideal is quite a stretch of the imagination. Secondly, to say that someone fragile should stay home is to say that handicapped people, people with medical issues and elderly people should stay home. That's more than a stretch of the imagination, its an insult to those people. You need to understand that just because someone is not 100% healthy, it shouldn't exclude them from partaking in something that should be considered safe. There is a real expectation of saftey and proper management. Perhaps there isn't now, but there was before all these recent issues with Carnival.

Your husband volunteered for duty and I tip my hat to him but if he has to defecate in a bag because he volunteered to serve others in such a fashion, then he knows that's the price he pays for his decision and its something he knows could happen. I bet he also expects to be shot at - should we also say that people shouldn't go on a Carnival cruise if they don't want to be shot at?

Carnival is a mess and they run their ships in a way that reflects that mess. Don't minimize the impact that their decisions have on people other than yourself or someone "normal". The world is a diverse place.

This has been discussed. The USCG noted that the engines in Triumph's second, unaffected engine room could have been restarted. The concern was that the fire suppression system had exhausted the supply of Halon, making it unsafe to run the engines since a second fire couldn't be extinguished.

The Splendor fire was a completely different situation.

So the engine rooms are separate & in case of a fire in one, they should be able to switch to the other. However, the fire supression system is not separate, so if it is used, it's empty and therefore the other engine room can't be brought online. Still sounds like a design flaw to me. In buildings the halon lines used in computer rooms etc. are filled until used. It is a cfc and binds with oxygen. It is not pumped in from a resevoir or water line like the water sprinklers, but dumped.

At about 1:45 in this video

Well, for starters, to call it less than ideal is quite a stretch of the imagination. Secondly, to say that someone fragile should stay home is to say that handicapped people, people with medical issues and elderly people should stay home. That's more than a stretch of the imagination, its an insult to those people. You need to understand that just because someone is not 100% healthy, it shouldn't exclude them from partaking in something that should be considered safe. There is a real expectation of saftey and proper management. Perhaps there isn't now, but there was before all these recent issues with Carnival.

Your husband volunteered for duty and I tip my hat to him but if he has to defecate in a bag because he volunteered to serve others in such a fashion, then he knows that's the price he pays for his decision and its something he knows could happen. I bet he also expects to be shot at - should we also say that people shouldn't go on a Carnival cruise if they don't want to be shot at?

Carnival is a mess and they run their ships in a way that reflects that mess. Don't minimize the impact that their decisions have on people other than yourself or someone "normal". The world is a diverse place.

He does not expect to be shot at. Why would he? He's not in the military. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

The point I was trying to make was that in case of extenuating circumstances, you have to do what you have to do. Pooping in a bag is not such a hardship. By putting it over the toilet, besides the obvious being there's a bag there and it has to be removed afterwards, it's no different than taking a deuce when the plumbing is working.

I did not say that people in less than perfect health, the handicapped, or the elderly should not cruise. What I DID say is that if you're so "fragile" then maybe you should stay home. Meaning if you are in extremely poor health, then possibly you should forgo being out in the middle of the ocean even in the best of times. When things go wrong out there, it's not as easy as calling 911 and going to the nearest ER.

While everyone wishes this didn't happen, it did. And nothing you and I can say will change it. People who have actually posted on here that were on the Triumph during this time even say it wasn't as bad as all the Negative Nancys made it out to be. So what's the big deal and why does it continue to be debated whether it was "horrid" conditions or not? Does it matter at this point to those that were not there?

Carnival and the whole cruising industry will hopefully learn from it and make adjustments. At least they had bags on board to pass out. I would take a stranded cruise ship in the middle of an ocean with at least some preparedness vs a crashing airplane where all I could do was put my head between my legs and kiss my a word goodbye!

No one died on the ship yet people continue to beat this dead horse. Why? I guess some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

Just curious, but if there had been a storm, would the ship have been stable enough to withstand strong winds and large waves? The reason I ask is while the ship was drifting along I was glad there were no major weather events. I wonder how the "rescue" would have been handled had there been a serious time crunch.

Please...I am not trying to cause a stink. Just curious.

Archived