Issue with teen club on our NA cruise

Netta7

I worked in a 7-12 school library. A known company sent us a box of books that was part of a project to see what should be classified as YA (young adult). We had Srs and Jrs. in an Eng class each read a book and give their view. Most of the books came back with a rating--available for all students. Well, honestly some we adults definitely would have rated YA. We asked the readers why they rated all the books as okay. They all said they read more offensive books and saw movies that had worst things in them. So maybe the staff (who are young) thought nothing was offensive in the Will Farrell movie. (just a stupid movie). Don't forget: Ricky and Lucy had to have seperate beds!!!!

Offensive is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes that depends on what generation the beholder is from.

I grew up in the era of "Did you hear the one about the Black guy, the Rabbi and the one legged Playboy Bunny " , which my kids just shake their haeds and can't believe .

However they laugh their heads off when someone performs some disgusting bodily function, and someone inadvertantly eats, drinks, or sits in it.

I worked in a 7-12 school library. A known company sent us a box of books that was part of a project to see what should be classified as YA (young adult). We had Srs and Jrs. in an Eng class each read a book and give their view. Most of the books came back with a rating--available for all students. Well, honestly some we adults definitely would have rated YA. We asked the readers why they rated all the books as okay. They all said they read more offensive books and saw movies that had worst things in them. So maybe the staff (who are young) thought nothing was offensive in the Will Farrell movie. (just a stupid movie). Don't forget: Ricky and Lucy had to have seperate beds!!!!

Feel sure you're right on the understable thoughts of the staff.

LuLu

~~~~

Here it is: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0838283/

If it's along the lines of the Talladega Nights I wouldn't have any problem with my 13 year old watching it, but I only have sons and I have five. The youngest has seen stuff at age 6 that I wouldn't let the oldest watch at age 14! But on a cruise- I have to wonder why they even risk offending anyone.

Archived