Deep Sea fishing???

• 2 months later...

Melody80,

Just found this post again by chance! Wanted to let you know about our experience in Calica and deep sea fishing....

We decided to part with the money and spend the day on the water. We are not real experienced fishermen...DH used to fish quite a bit but years ago. We had no idea what to expect.

When we arrived at the dock, we boarded an old air-conditioned charter bus with people going to other excursions. There were only 4 other people going on ours! We thought, "oh boy, this is going to be awful!" We arrived at a pretty nice beach where most other people were going to just enjoy the day by the water. Out in the ocean, we saw two small (lots smaller than we had expected!) boats. There were just anchored there.....no dock. We had to wade into the water and climb in! I have a bad back so I was naturally quite worried at this point!

We climbed in....it was the two of us and another couple plus the driver of the boat (a 9 year old boy!) and his dad with us. We went out about a mile into the ocean.....the guide said the water was calm but, believe me, to us it was REALLY ROUGH! The waves at times went over the top of the boat! We were out here about 2 hours rocking and rolling. We both now know, without a doubt, we are NOT prone to sea sickness! There was free Mexican beer and pop available. (We tried, but it was too rough to drink it!)

The other couple fished first while we sat at the front of the boat. It didn't take long for them to catch a couple quite large fish, one baracuda and something else. It was really exciting! They fished the first hour and then we switched places.

DH and I were now sitting on the "fishing bench". We only waited about 10 minutes before the fun began. DH was doing the work (and I mean WORK!), and I watched and took pictures. We (well, he) caught a large (about 3 feet long!) baracuda, a large yellow fin snapper, and something else. It was SO MUCH FUN!

When we returned to the beach, the snapper was taken in and cooked for us. It was wonderful...talk about fresh fish!

We will probably never, ever do this again, but it was a fantastic way to spend our day in Calica! We feel like we experienced a "real" fishing day in Mexico! It was a costly excursion, it wasn't a "fancy" boat, but we enjoyed every single second. We will remember it forever!

Hope this helped! Please ask if you have further questions.:)

Archived