St Petersburg tours

We have just returned from a cruise to the Baltic Capitals on the Celebrity Century which was excellent in so many ways.

I organised a small group of 8 to do an independent two day tour of St Petersburg with Red October. Let me first clear up a myth set around by some of the cruise lines. You do not need a private visa if you do not use the ship's tours. Red October and a few other companies operate on exactly the same basis as the ship by getting block visas for their clients which are included in tour prices.

Red October proved to be an excellent choice for us. We chose the itinerary to suit the needs of the group. We were met on the pier, exacly the same as ship's tours. Our guide was superb with seemingly unlimited knowledge, the visits were carefully timed for us to avoid major crowds where possible and we were a completely satisfied group, to a person.

Their prices were about 25% cheaper and they have the best shop for to buy a souvenir. You also get an extra 12% discount if you have been on one of their tours.

Small groups have a great advantage over the 30 or 40 which is usual for the ship's tours. It is more controllable with far less time wasted getting everyone together at stops, etc. You can cover more ground in less time.

In conclusion, fellow cruisers, do try the independent route for a better experience.

PS. I am not on anyones payroll.

We are a group of 14 going on a Red October tour in July. I just received our cruise documents from Oceania stating that we will need a tourist visa and will have to disembark after those going on the ship's tours in St. Petersburg. Red October sent us their tickets and said we should try to be the first off the ship and should show only our tickets. I'm wondering if the rules have changed. Has anyone had a problem recently disembarking without a tourist visa?

I don't know about the cruise line you are taking, however, I think all are about the same. We sailed on Celebrity last year and booked with Red October. The documents we received from the cruise line said the same thing, that you need a tourist visa, and need to wait until all other passengers disembark. This is not true. Red October provides all the paperwork you need to show to the Russian immigration authorities. Also, you might have to wait until the Moscow tours are off, but after that, do not wait. Just walk off the ship. There is no one from the ship to stop you and as I said before, you have everything you need to show to the Russian authorities. I don't think the cruise lines like the outside tour companies. They lose too much money. You have made a wise choice. Red October is excellent. They will be waiting for you as soon as you exit immigration.

We are a group of 14 going on a Red October tour in July. I just received our cruise documents from Oceania stating that we will need a tourist visa and will have to disembark after those going on the ship's tours in St. Petersburg. Red October sent us their tickets and said we should try to be the first off the ship and should show only our tickets. I'm wondering if the rules have changed. Has anyone had a problem recently disembarking without a tourist visa?

You will NOT need a Visa if you go with Red October or Denrus, they get group Visa'a for their tours, In reference to getting off the ship first, don't worry. Oceania is a mid size ship, so getting off in a timely manner isn't an issue.

The only drawback is if you want to go out at night for dinner or a ballet in St. Petersburg, you can't do it on your own because you won't have the Visa. You'd have to go w/ a group tour - whether it's Oceania's, Red. Oct. or Denrus.

Jane

Jane

• 3 weeks later...

Is Red October or Denrus preferred for sightseeing in St. Petersburg?

What are their websites?

Is anyone going on the Rotterdam July 26 sailing and would like to share a tour with either company in St. Petersburg? It is just 2 of us, and we would like to share a tour with others to hold down the cost.

Suggest you also look into Alla-tour. We just returned from S.Petersburg and used her as a guide. You do not need a visa to go with her. She can arrange tours using private car or van and even public transportation(hydrofoil to Peterhof) and goes to all the usual sites plus some of the less visited places if you want. She is very responsive andflexible.You can find her on Google (type in alla-tour) and she is listed under ST.P guide. We highly recommend her and know others who have used her with the same excellent results.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived