My Friend Mario Canal Partial Transit By Yacht Min. Group 50?

RumRunner01

Hi, I'm trying to find out if anyone recently used My Friend Mario for the Panama Canal Partial Transit (from Colon port) on the yacht? Reading his website it seems that you can book this yacht just like the ferry tour, however, when I contacted him about the yacht he said it has to be chartered by a group of at least 50. His website does not say that and I read a few threads from a few years ago of people taking they yacht, so I'm just wondering of these other people were part of a much larger group or if they booked it like a regular tour as individuals.

Also, if we do have to take the ferry instead of they yacht, is the ferry over crowded? Does anyone know if the Celebrity Panama Canal Partial Transit by Ferry is the same tour as Mario's tour (i.e. does Mario provide the tour to Celebrity?)

Lastly, can anyone tell me if these tours are wheelchair and/or walker friendly?

Thank you so much. I have searched and searched and cannot seem to find answers to these questions.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I realize you posted this quite awhile ago. We are on the same cruise as you - Celebrity Equinox Jan. 20. I was debating the yacht as well, so your post came in handy. Did you ever get more info? I like the idea of a smaller group (always! lol). We avoid the ship excursions.

While it may sound attractive I think you will find it a bit difficult to try and arrange for 50 people on the yacht. I would say the ferry would not be overcrowded in a safety sense, but it is a popular excursion and I would be surprised if when it is all said and done that it isn't a sold out excursion. I believe the tour that is offered by Celebrity is operated by Panama Marine Adventures and Mario would only be an agent for their Canal cruises that are offered at other times. Usually when a ship is in port all of their resources are dedicated to the ship. Mario would be the "agent" for the yacht as well, he is not the operator of either vessel as far as I know. Another thing to think about is if you were able to book the yacht excursion, keep in mind,you're not on a ship sponsored tour, that you will be some distance from Colon, be at the mercy of the vagaries of Canal traffic, Canal scheduling, mechanical issues with the yacht and on and on. You will be sort of isolated in that you may not be able to readily arrange for alternate transportation should something go askew.

Here are some pics of the two vessels in question.... The first is the Pacific Queen which is the one normally used for the tours from the ship. The second pic is the yacht, the Islamorada. Whether it is true or not, the Islamorada was supposedly owned by Al Capone at one time. Fact, fiction or urban legend I really don't know. I do know the the yacht came to the Canal sometime in the 1960s and has been there ever since.

Pacific Queen

md1evd.jpg

The Islamorada

jto1hg.jpg

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed response. At the cost per person for the yacht, I'd think it would be tricky to get 50 people, agreed. I contacted Mario yesterday, but have not yet heard from him regarding the ferry. Info apprecated :)

We wound up booking the ship excursion since I knew we wouldn't have 50 people for the yacht. All in our group booked in May since I figured this excursion would sell out fast (it is the only one going through the locks). I just hope it won't be so crowded that those in our group who have never been through the canal will be able to get good views.

Amy Olson

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Amy,

Thank you for getting back to me. I heard back from Mario today and the ferry with him is the same price as the ferry through Celebrity.

The only thing I noticed is that the itinerary is the reverse of the one described by Celebrity. I have specifically asked him if it is the same ferry used, I'll post that answer when I get it for anybody else reading this. If we can avoid the cruise crowds, I'd be delighted!

Mario just responded to me - it is a different ferry than the one used by the cruise line. On his website he does say maximum capacity 275 people - so it may be a moot point in terms of crowds.

Just thought i'd share in case this helps anybody else! :)

Hi Amy,

Thank you for getting back to me. I heard back from Mario today and the ferry with him is the same price as the ferry through Celebrity.

The only thing I noticed is that the itinerary is the reverse of the one described by Celebrity. I have specifically asked him if it is the same ferry used, I'll post that answer when I get it for anybody else reading this. If we can avoid the cruise crowds, I'd be delighted!

In reality the tour can be run in either direction, it is totally dependent on Canal conditions. What is at the heart of the matter is Gaillard Cut, being the real choke point of the Canal outside of the Locks, there are times, depending on the beam of the ship, where only one way traffic is permitted. Usually the "ferry" will follow behind one of the Panamax ships which ever direction the Canal can accommodate the ferry. Either direction the Canal will be just as enjoyable.

If we can avoid the cruise crowds, I'd be delighted!

Aren't you one of the "cruise crowd"?

You can also book the ferry independently like tourists other than the "cruise crowd" do . . . works well if you are in Panama for more than a few hours. Usually the independent ferry trips aren't well suited time-wise to the time the ships are in port.

You can fly direct to Panama City from the US and Europe, spend some delightful time enjoying Panama and avoid the "cruise crowds".

My experience on the ferry is that when the ships are in the ferry is sold out to various tour operators, sold as shore excursion on the ships, and space is usually all sold. In answer to your earlier question, "Is the ferry overcrowded?", I'm not sure how one can answer that. It is usually "full", i.e., all seats taken. Is that "overcrowded"? It is not fancy. The seating is not fancy, just as I recall banquet chairs on an open, albeit covered, deck. The times I've done it there was a buffet lunch of simple, but good, Panamanian food and free sodas and bottled water. Simple. Basic. Filled. When I've done it the narration was OK but the sound system wasn't that great. Maybe things have improved.

The focus is on the Canal not the ferry .

Regards, Richard

Archived