A few thoughts from our cruise

rocker57

We were on The Miracle from New York through the canal to LA.

Our first disappointment, was finding out that the Grand Turks was cancelled. This was a place my husband wanted to go for years. Yes, I know it cancelled for our health, but that doesn't make the disappointment less.

What this did make, was 5 days at sea - which was about 3 days too long. If you like bean bag toss, karaoke it was fine. I do not participate, and personally, bean bag toss everyday 2x a day - really? I know people do find that fun, but not my cup of tea. I don't do karaoke, as I do not like listening to of key singers. Again, I realize that appeals to many.

I found the entertainment lacking, the magicians, impressionist was bad. We walked out on the impressionist. They did have a singer that has been on broadway, and enjoyed that.

Our room steward, Tennyson, was wonderful. He was friendly, kept our room clean, always had a smile. My husband was experiencing kidney stones when we first got on, he suggested to my husband to mix milk and club soda together and drink to help dissolve the stone, and it worked. I give him lots so credit for working so hard, considering our friends in the next room had a different Stewart, who was not as good.

The dining room staff was also wonderful. We had early seating, and after a couple of days, got to know us. One of our complaints, was although the food was pretty good for the most part, was not very hot. Even the gravies were lukewarm. The chocolate warming cake was a hit, as well as the chilled soups.

My husband and I did the steakhouse twice, so do yourself a favour and book it. We also did the chefs table, was okay. We did the chefs table on princess a couple of years ago, so no comparison, princess was great.

Did not like how the buffet was set up, too much walking back and forth to get the food you wanted, and by the time you sat down, it was cold. Although, e sandwiches at the deli was good, as well as the pizza. We like a thin crust pizza, and found them delicious.

I can confirm, that I saw them pour grounds into the coffee machine, and we found the coffee to be good, although again, not hot, but we thought that could be more of a liability issue. Te chai latte at the coffee bar was my go to drink.

We found service was slow getting drinks. I sat at one of the bars, and in 20 minutes, did not have a server. One night in the dining room, the drink server did not come until my meal did, so I did not order.

The stops we did in Colombia, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Cabo were wonderfu. We did carnival excursions and there was no problem. Because of where we stopped, I did not feel secure going on our own, although most of that was in my head.

Our room was comfortable, the shower was bigger than the one we had for Princess. I liked the theatre seats, although you had to watch the posts.

I had not travelled Carnival before, so I did go with some trepidation, but it was not bad. Saying that, I would probably not travel with them again, it is the little things, can see there is a cut back in staff, entertainment, overall quality. For example, the interactive menu was not working in the rooms, or at least some of the rooms. Te first time I went to guest services about it, was told quite spottily just to push the menu button, when I asked if it had to be a certain station, no. I tried, it didn't work, went down the next day, where someone told us that they were having problems in some of the rooms. Which is fine, but could they not send a notice?

Overall, although some of you will jump all over me, I would rather pay more for the quality of service, entertainment and food. But that is me, one of our friends thought it was great, so each their own.

In the long run, we had a wonderful trip and have lots of memories.

Archived