Debit Card

There are piles of threads on this subject. Just use the search button upper right and type in debit card. You will get all sorts of info but check with your bank as to their policies about releasing any holds as they do that, not NCL. Also tell them where you will be going (each port) so they do not put a hold on it.

Quick question, when you check in, can you use a debit card or does it have to be a regular credit card ?

You may use a debit card but be aware that they may put multiple holds on your account that could take some time to be released.

I am curious -- why not? I have cruised 4 times and always used my debit card. I never had any problems.

The best thread I've ever seen regarding the potential hazard of using a debit card onboard can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679275&highlight=debit+card+hold+honeymoon

This will give a very clear view of what can happen if folks are unaware of how their individual bank handles "holds," which is the primary reason using a debit card is a bad idea.

Granted, not all banks handle holds the same way, so not everyone will have this bad of an experience, but it certainly demonstrates the peril. ;)

I am curious -- why not? I have cruised 4 times and always used my debit card. I never had any problems.

im glad you have never had a problem with your debit card. i have heard pro's and con's about using a pre-paid credit card also being accepted sometimes. i will just use my ncl rewards card and build up my points. i also take cash as well.

Yes, you can 100% use your debit card. HOWEVER I do not recommend it! They might place a "hold" on a certain amount that they think you will spend...say $500 and it could take days for the $500 to be back in your account if you do not spend it. I would use a credit card or post cash.

I've been on this soapbox forever it seems. I work at a Bank and am amazed at the problems people encounter. It is not that same as cash. Is sometime not taken, fraud and that's before the hold issues......

To me the important part is there must be a reason that NCL (on their site) strongly recommends not to use them.

To me, I don't care of some use them but I won't. I like to control who has access to my checking account and it's me only......

See post #11 here.

It is a disaster-in-waiting to use a debit card. The debit card is actual money whereas the credit is potential money.

I opened a checking account at my bank to use specifically for travel. This way my regular bank account will not have a hold placed on it and I can use it freely once I return home. I also do not have to worry about someone getting a hold of my number and making fraudulent charges (it can still happen but it is not linked to my direct deposit so it won't "mess me up" when I return home etc.) Just be sure to tell your bank you are traveling so they don't put a hold on the account.

Quick question, when you check in, can you use a debit card or does it have to be a regular credit card ?

First thing--check with your bank about their "hold" policies. Some banks will still allow you to use funds when there is a hold on your account, some do not. Depends on your bank. Also, as pp suggested (and I do the same thing) you may want to open a second checking account NOT linked to your primary account and put the money in there that you were planning on spending. I have used my debit card before and my bank does allow me to use my entire balance even when there is a "pending" charge-which is what happens when they put a hold on your account. Again, not an issue for me because the only money in that account is my spending money for the travel, so no big deal. I also take some cash and travellers checks, so I can always put more money on my account if need be.

Also, make sure you let your bank know that you will be travelling so that they don't put a fraud hold on your account. Unusual transactions can trigger this if you don't let them know ahead of time.

When I used a debit card on my last cruise, I came back 11 days later to find out I had bounced three checks that I had sent out for bills. I actually could not figure out how the timing of it could have happened because I was also getting paid on the second day of my cruise into the same account until I read these threads, so I am sure that the HOLDS had something to do with it. My husband and I probably only spent about $500 and I know I had about two to three weeks pay in there.

Just be careful...

im glad you have never had a problem with your debit card. i have heard pro's and con's about using a pre-paid credit card also being accepted sometimes. i will just use my ncl rewards card and build up my points. i also take cash as well.

and a regular debit card issued by your bank is very different from a pre-paid debit card. very often the pre-paid ones say "not for use at hotels, on cruises or gas stations". Definitely double check on the prepaids

When I used a debit card on my last cruise, I came back 11 days later to find out I had bounced three checks that I had sent out for bills. I actually could not figure out how the timing of it could have happened because I was also getting paid on the second day of my cruise into the same account until I read these threads, so I am sure that the HOLDS had something to do with it. My husband and I probably only spent about $500 and I know I had about two to three weeks pay in there.

Just be careful...

A prime example of why you should never, ever use a debit card for this.

and a regular debit card issued by your bank is very different from a pre-paid debit card. very often the pre-paid ones say "not for use at hotels, on cruises or gas stations". Definitely double check on the prepaids

The pre-paid cards aren't usable for some rental cars either.

Every person has reasons for financial decisions that they make. Perhaps not having a credit card makes sense for some persons. There is temptation to spend and spend more.

I find that credit cards are very useful, especially when traveling.

First, I have a Deltaskymiles Amex so I get miles when I charge. I charge nearly all my household bills on it.

Further, I don't like dealing with coins in change, so I use my credit cards even when purchasing small dollar items. The only time that I use the ATMs are when I am overseas and need foreign currency.

When traveling, credit cards allow you to not have to carry large amounts of cash.

Most importantly, when cruising, a credit card is the perfect solution for taking care of your onboard account.

Also, debit cards carry a risk regarding fraudulent use that credit cards don't have.

Here is how it works when you have Bank of America (and if this gets to specific someone delete it)

Let's say you get on the boat and have $500 in your checking account. NCL will "pre-authorize" your card for $300. BoA DOES NOT take holds into consideration. So your available balance will still be $500 with a $300 pending hold. A couple of days after you get on the boat that $300 pending hold will go away, but your available balance will still be $500. If you reach $300 on the cruise, I do believe the pre-authorize for another $300 but again this doesn't effect your available balance. Then the night before you debark, NCL will "pre-authorize" your card for the amount you've spent on the cruise. 2-3 days later the hold will turn into a charge. If the final pre-authorization is done on a Friday, it usually turns into a charge on Tuesday.

Now let's say you spend $600 on the boat and only have $500 in your account. Since your account was previously pre-authorized twice in $300 increments, BoA will still let the $600 charge go through @ the end of the cruise but you account will overdraft by $100.

Here is how it works when you have Bank of America (and if this gets to specific someone delete it)

Let's say you get on the boat and have $500 in your checking account. NCL will "pre-authorize" your card for $300. BoA DOES NOT take holds into consideration. So your available balance will still be $500 with a $300 pending hold. A couple of days after you get on the boat that $300 pending hold will go away, but your available balance will still be $500. If you reach $300 on the cruise, I do believe the pre-authorize for another $300 but again this doesn't effect your available balance. Then the night before you debark, NCL will "pre-authorize" your card for the amount you've spent on the cruise. 2-3 days later the hold will turn into a charge. If the final pre-authorization is done on a Friday, it usually turns into a charge on Tuesday.

Now let's say you spend $600 on the boat and only have $500 in your account. Since your account was previously pre-authorized twice in $300 increments, BoA will still let the $600 charge go through @ the end of the cruise but you account will overdraft by $100.

Is this for a 7 day cruise? I use bank of america and might consider skipping the cash route if this is how they do it.

Archived