SLR camera on the beach

Hello.

I have a Cannon Rebel EOS and want to play with it on our shore excursions, but I'm worried about two things.

1. Sand ruining camera.

2. Keeping it safe while I go do something else like snorkeling, etc.

Ideas please? Thanks.:)

I went through the same issues and went with a underwater camera for excursions. It can go any place you go, and now days they take pretty good pictures (and I'm picky).

Never could get past the danger to the camera or the security issue...

I carry waterproof dry bags. A step up from ziploc bags they are available in different weights and are more durable they ziplocs and they don't have the find zip loc which doesn't seal if the tinniest bit of sand get's in it's groove. Another benefit is most bags are opaque (clear ones are available) so if you stuff your camera in there before arriving at the beach hopefully nobody will know what's in there.

Security is always a problem on the beach. Not having your camera out and visible is a big help but I've seen people's T-shirts and flip flops get stolen while they were in the water so anything is fair game. One nice trick with a quality dry bag is to play in the sand for a while and casually bury your camera in the sand and set up your towel and clothes on top. It makes a quick snatch and grab extremely difficult and if someone does try digging it up hopefully it will buy you enough time to notice. One bit of advice. Put the camera in the nice dry bag then put that in a ziploc bag so you're not picking sand out of the dry bag's fold over closure.

Rebels are not weather-sealed, like higher-end models, so sand can get into the body. I would definitely NOT change lenses on the beach. Sand is essentially tiny bits of glass, which can wreak havoc on sensitive internal parts.

I'd think the dry bag is a must have.

Archived