American Express Platinum Card and Princess Cruises

Tania

I just checked out the AMex site to check out the Platinum benefits and noticed the CRuise program. It's appears quite generous...a $300 dollar shipboard credit on certain cruise lines. You would actually be making money after 2 cruises a year.

It seems to me that Princess used to participate in this program but does not any longer. Has anyone ever benEfitted? How did it work?

I was originally looking at it because it provides a 2 for 1 first class air ticket a year. In Canada, of course not...you get a free companion ticket a year...LOL...

I just checked out the AMex site to check out the Platinum benefits and noticed the CRuise program. It's appears quite generous...a $300 dollar shipboard credit on certain cruise lines. You would actually be making money after 2 cruises a year.

It seems to me that Princess used to participate in this program but does not any longer. Has anyone ever benEfitted? How did it work?

I was originally looking at it because it provides a 2 for 1 first class air ticket a year. In Canada, of course not...you get a free companion ticket a year...LOL...

Some of these cards require that you use their travel service and I have seen where you end up paying more than if you went to a direct agent even with the discount.

Ditto, I have yet to find a deal with the Amex. Plat. Yes, you do have to use their travel service. They usually charge rack rate for everything and then give the discount. I've given up trying to find any deals with them. Online consolidators have worked out better for us.

Platinum Card does still offer the $300 SBC as far as I can see. What makes you say they don't?

I booked my cruise with my TA and you have to make your deposit and final payment with your Platinum card. The TA calls a special number and they give her a tracking number that she gives to Princess. This is how you get your SBC. You do not need to use there TA's to get this credit. Also the SBC is only for certain catagories. They offer 1 or 2 catagory upgrades for lower catagories. Each cruiseline that participates is a little different. I feel it was worth it for the SBC but not the upgrades.

Liz

Platinum Card does still offer the $300 SBC as far as I can see. What makes you say they don't?

I booked my cruise with my TA and you have to make your deposit and final payment with your Platinum card. The TA calls a special number and they give her a tracking number that she gives to Princess. This is how you get your SBC. You do not need to use there TA's to get this credit. Also the SBC is only for certain catagories. They offer 1 or 2 catagory upgrades for lower catagories. Each cruiseline that participates is a little different. I feel it was worth it for the SBC but not the upgrades.

Liz

Exactly :)

the amec credit also is apparantly tied to what you paid for your cruise... we have booked a minisuite for a nov cruise and my TA was told that the price we paid was $600 less than what Princes will permit when utilizing the amex credit. So apparantly there are rules within rules that each cruise line has

Archived