Snorkeling

backspace1

While this appears to be a simple question ... it is really loaded with issues.

Many tour operators provide 'training' and often this amounts to 5 minutes of discussion on the boat and then they point you towards the water, which may be over 10 feet deep. Would you be comfortable jumping right in? Some are . . .

If you have NEVER had your face in the water with a mask on and breathed through a snorkel I'd be very very cautious and then ONLY if you are a good swimmer, very comfortable with your skills in open water.

Sorry folks I was a life guard for over 30 years and an active certified diver all that time, so I tend to be cautious. I know snorkeling isn't rocket science for those of us around water all our lives but to SOME putting a slab of glass over the face and breathing thru a chunk of garden hose is a wee bit intimidating especially if it is your first time jumping off a boat over a reef with 'critters'.

The more familiar you can be with the basics of snorkeling before your first time the better. And if your first time is from shore, in shallow water, rather than jumping off a boat, ALSO so much the better.

My daughter had been snorkeling in our pool for a year when I took her on her first open water boat snorkel trip. About 3 minutes in the water and VERY comfortable she saw a small baracuda - maybe a foot long. I thought a 200 horsepower speed boat had come by as she nearly walked on the water, flippers going 10,000 RPM back to the excursion boat. End of snorkel trip - time in water 3.5 minutes.

She did recover however. Here we are geared up and about to jump in for a night dive from Sunset House Grand Cayman just last week.

100_0105_zps00ed64ce.jpg

We taught my 7yo nephew to snorkel in the bathtub. :grin: A kiddie pool will work, too. Anywhere that you can submerge your face to get used to the mask and practice breathing through the snorkel will give you at least a head start on the process...

Thank you for this information. We will give it a shot, and if we can, we will. May try to practice at home if I can find some gear at a decent price.

Wanted to try Captain Marvin's stingray and snorkel excursion. I don't believe you can snorkel from the beach on this type of tour.

I love the water and am an excellent swimmer, so I have no worries about swimming in deep water. Hubby can stay on the boat if he so chooses.:rolleyes: I will be in the water, whether snorkeling or not. :D

Thanks again!

May try to practice at home if I can find some gear at a decent price.

Walmart, Costco and Target all carry half-decent snorkel gear for $20 or less...and you could always just buy one set and rinse well between users, since it would just be family members using it...

Archived