Speaking of Timelapse

TheRoff

Since we have done several Caribbean cruises, I decided that on our February 2013 cruise I would take most of my shots with a goal of making a timelapse video of the trip. I did learn a whole lot about shooting it and processing it. I also learned I am addicted to timelapse and know what I will be doing on future cruises.

The video is here.

Comments, critiques and questions are always welcome.

Larry

Nice video.

What are you using for your post editing software?

I have been using both Windows Movie Maker and iMovie and neither of them will do more than about 10fps. I am thinking I need to upgrade my editor.

Nice video.

I have been using both Windows Movie Maker and iMovie and neither of them will do more than about 10fps. I am thinking I need to upgrade my editor.

Thanks. I used Premiere Pro for the video editing and Lightroom for preparing the images. I also used a plug-in for Lightroom called LRTimelapse which was useful to balance the changing exposure settings necessary in the sunset and dawn sequences.

Except, I now realize I had a bunch of video settings wrong and destroyed the image quality. Some work to redo is in order.

Larry

Nice video.

If I remember correctly, you have to set the frame duration at the top for 0.03 seconds in WMM.

If I remember correctly, you have to set the frame duration at the top for 0.03 seconds in WMM.

Perhaps it is the version of WMM I have, but regardless of the frame rate I set it to, it reverts back to 0.1sec

Thanks. I used Premiere Pro for the video editing and Lightroom for preparing the images. I also used a plug-in for Lightroom called LRTimelapse which was useful to balance the changing exposure settings necessary in the sunset and dawn sequences.

Except, I now realize I had a bunch of video settings wrong and destroyed the image quality. Some work to redo is in order.

Larry

I also like how you dovetailed a bit of full motion video, some Dave Burns, and what looks like a bit of HDR in your video. Very creative.

Aw,

Thanks. Premiere Pro is some pretty smart software and will adapt video clips and sequences of still images to the settings you have set up for your project. (Provided one gets those right, which I didn’t.)

One can also add effects such as pan and zoom, and many of the adjustments one can make in Photoshop such as creating a pseudo HDR look.

Larry

Premiere Pro seems a bit on the expensive side. Have you tried Premiere Elements at all?

I also understand Lightroom 4x has some video editing capabilities, but I am still stuck on ver 3.

Unfortunately, the Adobe description is not as good as I had hoped. I know you can download and test any software from Adobe, but I dislike clutter on my computers should I decide it does not meet my needs.

Aw,

Adobe products are certainly not cheap. Fortunately for me, our little “retirement” company has lucked upon some photography and graphic projects so I have been able to justify joining the Adobe Cloud. For $30.00 or so a month one can download and use all of their software plus a bunch of other services. (Hmm, I see the price of the cloud has gone up to $50 a month. I got in on the introductory offer.)

I have not really used Premiere Elements. To my knowledge Lightroom does not have direct video editing capabilities. For a timelapse however, one can process your images in the sequence in Lightroom and then send them to the Slideshow module. There are free presets available for down load that you can use to export the slide show to a video with standard frame rates. TimelapseLR has the presets here. I am not sure if they will work with LR3, however.

Larry

I did not even think of using slideshow in lightroom. I did check my version and unfortunately, the minimum is 0.1 sec, the same as WMM and iMovie. I'll check the presets and see if they will allow anything faster.

Archived