Smarty Tours & Spa

Xcitdcruiser

I was wondering whether anyone has used Smarty's tours?

DH is prone to sea + car sickness so are looking for something 'relaxing'. We came across Smarty's service that actually drives you out to a rainforest & give you a 1hr massage by the waterfall.

Has anyone used Smarty?

I was wondering whether anyone has used Smarty's tours?

DH is prone to sea + car sickness so are looking for something 'relaxing'. We came across Smarty's service that actually drives you out to a rainforest & give you a 1hr massage by the waterfall.

Has anyone used Smarty?

I have no experience with them, and know of no reviews of them. So that's not helpful!

But, did want to let you know - you can't get to the rainforest on this island without some of the mountainous, winding roads. There is no flat, straight shot there! The whole island is mountainous, and the accessible rainforest portions are reached by some narrower, winding roads - so do be prepared for that! As are the any accessible waterfalls - you will be driven to them along the winding mountainous roads. Unfortunately, there's really no other way to get to them. Sorry. It sounds lovely though. Could be worth it, although if you get very carsick/motion sickness, I doubt it will be that relaxing. We have occasionally had our massuese meet us for a session at the mineral baths followed by a massage - it is wonderfully relaxing to only hear the sounds of the rainforest while getting your treatment.

Enjoy, whatever you decide.

I have no experience with them, and know of no reviews of them. So that's not helpful!

But, did want to let you know - you can't get to the rainforest on this island without some of the mountainous, winding roads. There is no flat, straight shot there! The whole island is mountainous, and the accessible rainforest portions are reached by some narrower, winding roads - so do be prepared for that! As are the any accessible waterfalls - you will be driven to them along the winding mountainous roads. Unfortunately, there's really no other way to get to them. Sorry. It sounds lovely though. Could be worth it, although if you get very carsick/motion sickness, I doubt it will be that relaxing. We have occasionally had our massuese meet us for a session at the mineral baths followed by a massage - it is wonderfully relaxing to only hear the sounds of the rainforest while getting your treatment.

Enjoy, whatever you decide.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Smarty has some reviews on TripAdvisor,it seems like he's a 'happy taxi driver' that used to work on a cruise ship.

I am not very familiar with the island, but taking long windy roads to the rainforest does sound logical. Apparently it's a 30min drive from the port, but Smarty's responses are very short so I don't know too much more.

Now, you mention some mineral baths + massuese - sounds lovely! Could you share some more details?

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Smarty has some reviews on TripAdvisor,it seems like he's a 'happy taxi driver' that used to work on a cruise ship.

I am not very familiar with the island, but taking long windy roads to the rainforest does sound logical. Apparently it's a 30min drive from the port, but Smarty's responses are very short so I don't know too much more.

Now, you mention some mineral baths + massuese - sounds lovely! Could you share some more details?

There are several mineral baths on the island - all in the Soufriere region, which is a one hour drive from the port (along mountainous winding roads!). Our fave is Jerusalem Falls, which is about a 15 minute hike into the rainforest to the site, where there are 4 different pools of varying temps. Our massuese is a friend who also works at Sugar Beach, so occasionally, we will meet her after work and hike out, soak for a while, then get our treatment. This is not something offered by any tour companies or hotels, etc, just something we do on occasion cuz it's great! For us, it's a 35 minute drive over to the jump off point for the hike, so it's not all the time by any means. It was meant to be more info on how relaxing a massage in the rainforest can be.

Good luck - if you get some answers from Smarty of where the waterfall/rainforest massage is actually located, I can help with roads/drive time info, etc. (Name of waterfall or region or anything along those lines)

Enjoy your visit!

There are several mineral baths on the island - all in the Soufriere region, which is a one hour drive from the port (along mountainous winding roads!). Our fave is Jerusalem Falls, which is about a 15 minute hike into the rainforest to the site, where there are 4 different pools of varying temps. Our massuese is a friend who also works at Sugar Beach, so occasionally, we will meet her after work and hike out, soak for a while, then get our treatment. This is not something offered by any tour companies or hotels, etc, just something we do on occasion cuz it's great! For us, it's a 35 minute drive over to the jump off point for the hike, so it's not all the time by any means. It was meant to be more info on how relaxing a massage in the rainforest can be.

Good luck - if you get some answers from Smarty of where the waterfall/rainforest massage is actually located, I can help with roads/drive time info, etc. (Name of waterfall or region or anything along those lines)

Enjoy your visit!

Many thanks for you help! I will await Smarty's response but I am not hopeful as it's been a few days...

Oh my those baths followed by a massage sounds simply divine!

It sounds as if we enjoy similar things, do you have any recommendations as to what we could enjoy on the island - nothing too strenuous ... & accessible by taxi at the port or a prearranged tour?

Many thanks for you help! I will await Smarty's response but I am not hopeful as it's been a few days...

Oh my those baths followed by a massage sounds simply divine!

It sounds as if we enjoy similar things, do you have any recommendations as to what we could enjoy on the island - nothing too strenuous ... & accessible by taxi at the port or a prearranged tour?

LOL - it's very tough to make overall recommendations without knowing what sorts of things you do like to do. Personally, I like some very strenuous things, and some very relaxing things, and when we cruise we do a mix of both.

There is very little that is near the cruise port itself here in St. Lucia. It ports in very much a working city- little in the way of amenities in the area at large. There is some duty free shopping in the area- normal port things. Just outside the port is the Castries Craft & Food Market, recently rated #3 food market in the world by NatGeo - worth a visit, about a 10-15 minute walk from either dock - it's the semi-open air building with the orange roof that is across the road from the harbor.

If you don't mind a car ride, Pigeon Island is worth a visit. One of the easiest stretches of road on the island - about 35 minutes/$35US one way ride along mainly flat or very gently sloping roads, no major twists or turns. Pigeon Island is a national park with a small maritime museum (about the pirates and the british/french wars), some old British fort ruins you can wander through, some hiking (nothing too major, but flip flops won't do it, you need at least full sandals) and a lovely little beach for some swimming and a small reef for snorkeling. Chairs are for rent, there are 2 restaurants, bar, etc. Great place to spend a day. Or Rodney Bay, ith Reduit Beach....over 20 restaurants and bars in the area, some shopping, long stretch of beach for swimming, watersports for hire, chairs/umbrellas for hire, etc. Again, about 30 minutes/$30US one way.

Or, look into a catamaran trip down to Soufriere for the Pitons, etc. Mango Tango, Bateau Mygo, Carnival, Endless summer, Mystic Man, SeaSpray Cruises, and so on all offer cat tours.

Enjoy, whichever you decide!

Thank you so much reedprincess!

I was trying to avoid doing a full day tour (already doing a cat tour in Barbados) + long travel times ... I mentioned the beach options to DH last night & he pointed out that a taxi for $70 to get to a beach may be a bit much. We live a block from the beach... not the Carribean, but still a beach..

I think I may be hooked on these mineral baths ... & a massage. Any chance your friend would like to give a couple of aussies a massage? :)

Otherwise i think this port may be our 'lazy' day. The markets sound great, & i guess we could take advantage of cruise massage port prices ..but would prefer to give to the local economy!

Thank you so much reedprincess!

I was trying to avoid doing a full day tour (already doing a cat tour in Barbados) + long travel times ... I mentioned the beach options to DH last night & he pointed out that a taxi for $70 to get to a beach may be a bit much. We live a block from the beach... not the Carribean, but still a beach..

I think I may be hooked on these mineral baths ... & a massage. Any chance your friend would like to give a couple of aussies a massage? :)

Otherwise i think this port may be our 'lazy' day. The markets sound great, & i guess we could take advantage of cruise massage port prices ..but would prefer to give to the local economy!

LOL- I am sure she would be more than happy too, depending on when you were in port. She works at a resort 6 days a week, so values her one day off, of course. We meet her after work when we do it, but that wouldn't be an option for you. Keep in mind- you would be in a car for 2 hours + round trip down to Soufriere and the minerals baths at Jerusalem Falls - on those winding mountainous roads! Would pretty much negate the relaxation affect with the return ride. There are several mineral baths in the Soufriere region - but that is the 1+ hour ride one way. A straight taxi hired at the port is $90US one way.

Another possible alternative that would give you a nice beach relaxing day that you could walk to if you wanted would be a day pass to Rendezvous. It would be a shame to miss the Pitons - what makes St. Lucia famous! - but if you just wanted a relaxing day at the beach with service and food, great setting, nice pools, etc - Rendezvous would be a good place. Adults only, $65US pp for a day pass and a 20 minute or so walk or $10US one way cab ride from the port. There is a recent review on here too from someone who was just there today on a day pass.

Good luck sorting out what you want to do - personally, would highly recommend a trip to Soufriere and the Pitons- you could do Spencer Ambrose's Beach Break which takes you by boat to Jalousie beach right at the base of the Pitons and includes lunch, drinks, etc. All day by the beach, walk out snorkeling, beautiful setting, you can patronize the facilities of Sugar Beach Resort if you want, etc. could be a good compromise - you have about 5 or so hours at the beach, lunch, drinks, and all the lush beauty of the area. You could then book a massage at Sugar Beach spa - where my friend works! Just a thought!

Good luck working out what to do.

LOL- I am sure she would be more than happy too, depending on when you were in port. She works at a resort 6 days a week, so values her one day off, of course. We meet her after work when we do it, but that wouldn't be an option for you. Keep in mind- you would be in a car for 2 hours + round trip down to Soufriere and the minerals baths at Jerusalem Falls - on those winding mountainous roads! Would pretty much negate the relaxation affect with the return ride. There are several mineral baths in the Soufriere region - but that is the 1+ hour ride one way. A straight taxi hired at the port is $90US one way.

Another possible alternative that would give you a nice beach relaxing day that you could walk to if you wanted would be a day pass to Rendezvous. It would be a shame to miss the Pitons - what makes St. Lucia famous! - but if you just wanted a relaxing day at the beach with service and food, great setting, nice pools, etc - Rendezvous would be a good place. Adults only, $65US pp for a day pass and a 20 minute or so walk or $10US one way cab ride from the port. There is a recent review on here too from someone who was just there today on a day pass.

Good luck sorting out what you want to do - personally, would highly recommend a trip to Soufriere and the Pitons- you could do Spencer Ambrose's Beach Break which takes you by boat to Jalousie beach right at the base of the Pitons and includes lunch, drinks, etc. All day by the beach, walk out snorkeling, beautiful setting, you can patronize the facilities of Sugar Beach Resort if you want, etc. could be a good compromise - you have about 5 or so hours at the beach, lunch, drinks, and all the lush beauty of the area. You could then book a massage at Sugar Beach spa - where my friend works! Just a thought!

Good luck working out what to do.

You are a star & your posts are so helpful!

To be honest I do feel guilty at not having any interest inthe Pitons & I think it may be something I regret later on.

It sounds as if our options are:

Spencer Ambrose Beach Tour - a little worried as they get mixed reviews on TA. The beach sounds as if it gets very crowded very quickly & I would hate the thought of being 'stuck' on a beach. There is an optional extra to go to the Botanical Gardens for the springs & volcano. Would you recommend this? Also, Spencer appears to be the only touring company that offers the boat option, Cosol seems to be popular, but it's all mini vans...

Resort Pass - will bring this up tonight, but my feeling is that DW will not like to pay to get into a beach & pool... but one never knows!

Pigeon Island / Rodney Bay

Stay on the ship / wonder around port,, visit the market

Have i nailed it ont he head? :)

Ok, so I think i've found something else... how about a day pass at Ti Kaye Resort? They can include a massage or diving (never actually been diving before....) BUT apparently you can go out on the boat with the divers & see the Pitons. The price would also include transfers by boat.

How does this sound?

Ok, so I think i've found something else... how about a day pass at Ti Kaye Resort? They can include a massage or diving (never actually been diving before....) BUT apparently you can go out on the boat with the divers & see the Pitons. The price would also include transfers by boat.

How does this sound?

Ti Kaye is beautiful, however you can't see the Pitons, etc from there, and again - you are paying for a day pass to go to a beach, does not include use of pool, or all-inclusive, etc such as Rendezvous. There is great snorkeling off the beach and snorkel equipment is included. If there is space, they may take you on the dive boat, but that's not a guarantee - and most of the Ti Kaye diving packages are actually at Ti Kaye - there is a sunken wreck and some other excellent diving right off the coast of the resort, so their dive boat does not usually go all the way south to the Pitons for diving for cruise guests. Inquire very carefully about that.

All the comments about:crowded beach" from Jalousie Beach goers are from those who don't understand (or don't believe us regulars) that the entire beach - every beach in St. Lucia- is public. You can use and enjoy, stroll along, throw your towel down on any stretch of beach on the island, including along Jalousie beach. You do not have to stay at the free chairs. You cannot use the resort chairs or umbrellas, but you can use any natural shade, and any portion of the beach. (there are some nicer chairs to rent). Snorkeling is usually very good (depends on recent weather and river run-off) , swimming is very good, beautiful surroundings, resort beach bar, etc. It's usually - for over 90% of visitors - a wonderful day.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for highlighting the differences.

I really do appreciate all of your help, & hopefully my millions of questions does eventually help others also!

I'm leaning towards Ti Kaye, it appears a little more 'exclusive'.

If you were a visitor, one day only in St Lucia, which would you prefer Rendezvous or Ti Kaye?

Thanks for highlighting the differences.

I really do appreciate all of your help, & hopefully my millions of questions does eventually help others also!

I'm leaning towards Ti Kaye, it appears a little more 'exclusive'.

If you were a visitor, one day only in St Lucia, which would you prefer Rendezvous or Ti Kaye?

It would depend on how much traveling I wanted to do, and whether snorkeling/diving was important - and whether all inclusive was important. Ti Kaye is excellent for beach and ocean - snorkeling and diving especially. Not a large beach by any means, you won't be going for long strolls, etc. and anything over your drink with lunch will be extra. There is no pool, etc that you can use with the day pass, it is pretty much just the beach, lunch and chair and snorkel gear, etc.

Rendezvous is on a long stretch of beach, great pools and lazy river, all inclusive of food, drinks, etc - participate in activities or not, and so on. Both are beautiful, but they are different both in atmosphere and inclusions.

Good luck!

Ok Reedprincess, I have one more question for you before I make the final decision.

I'm leaning towards seeing the Pitons. I won't be able to see them anywhere else. I've heard back from Ti Kaye & they are unwilling to guarantee that I will see them.

I have thought some more & figured out the reason that Spencer does not appeal to me - the lunch included. I'm a little picky with food & tend to stay away from buffets. So, fast forwarding my mind .. how about this idea...

Finding return water transport to Jealousie Beach, then indulging in a Romantic Renaissance package offered by Sugar Beach (& requesting your friend!). This includes a massage for me & DH, lunch & sparkling wine amongst their beautiful settings. The cost is reasonable... but i need to find transport for a reasonable price.

I have emailed Sugar beach, Spender & Mystic Man as i have found that they all have 'boat' facilities for transfers. Can you recommend any other provider? Do dont happen to own a boat do you ;) ?

How does this plan sound? Realistic? .. or am i dreaming?

Ok Reedprincess, I have one more question for you before I make the final decision.

I'm leaning towards seeing the Pitons. I won't be able to see them anywhere else. I've heard back from Ti Kaye & they are unwilling to guarantee that I will see them.

I have thought some more & figured out the reason that Spencer does not appeal to me - the lunch included. I'm a little picky with food & tend to stay away from buffets. So, fast forwarding my mind .. how about this idea...

Finding return water transport to Jealousie Beach, then indulging in a Romantic Renaissance package offered by Sugar Beach (& requesting your friend!). This includes a massage for me & DH, lunch & sparkling wine amongst their beautiful settings. The cost is reasonable... but i need to find transport for a reasonable price.

I have emailed Sugar beach, Spender & Mystic Man as i have found that they all have 'boat' facilities for transfers. Can you recommend any other provider? Do dont happen to own a boat do you ;) ?

How does this plan sound? Realistic? .. or am i dreaming?

that's a nice package - hope it does work out for you.

Transport is going to be expensive. Water transfer is going to be on the order of $200US one way, here's the rates:

Rates for the most frequent water taxi Departure Points & Destinations are regulated by government and the Water Taxi Associations.

The cost for water taxi (single engine up to 150 hp) transport...

FROM Castries to Soufriere/Jalousie USD 200 (1-2 persons) USD 240 (3-4 persons)

The cost for water taxi (twin engines or single engine over 150 hp) transport...

FROM Castries to Soufriere/Jalousie USD 350 (1-4 persons)

those rates are one way. So....it would be signifigantly less to use Spencer's beach break tour, and skip the lunch he has and go for your package at the spa....or take a land taxi, but that is $200US r/t.

Good luck - St. Lucia is a beautiful island, with lots to offer - but getting around can be a challenge unless you have a rental car (which is a possibility, but again the motion sickness issue)

Archived