Smart Casual on Princess

curtis1313

Being new to Princess, I was wondering what everyone's experience has been with Smart Casual for men, especially on the European trips. Has it been more Sportcoats (with or without ties) or more sport shirts and dockers or an even mix of both.

Thanks

Being new to Princess, I was wondering what everyone's experience has been with Smart Casual for men, especially on the European trips. Has it been more Sportcoats (with or without ties) or more sport shirts and dockers or an even mix of both.

Thanks

We haven't been on the European trip. But our experience has been an even mix of both sport coats without ties and sport shirts with a docker type pant.

I've seen some people dress in very nice jeans and sport coat (but that is another thread, jeans have not been well received by some posters). We've never worn jeans on a cruise, but some people do look nice in them.

It is fun to dress nicely on the cruise and see others smartly dressed for the evening. We haven't seen anyone denied dinner service because of the way they are dressed....may get a few frowns though. :p

Princess44 - Thanks for the quick reply. I agree about dressing up while on a cruise - it adds to the whole allure. I am just trying to lighten up the luggage load - I promised myself that I would pack less this time, so I was debating about the Sportcoat. On our last cruise (Celebrity Constellation '03) there were several Semi-Formal nights in addition to the formal ones. That meant both Tux and Sportcoat.

Happy Sailing

I might be mistaked but I thought they had done away with the Smart Casual night....or does it depend on the ship. Does the Caribbean Princess still have Smart Casual night?

I think what Princess did away with was semi-formal. All nights that are not formal are smart-casual.

I might be mistaked but I thought they had done away with the Smart Casual night....or does it depend on the ship. Does the Caribbean Princess still have Smart Casual night?

:confused: I thought every night that wasn't formal night was to be a smart-casual night? Maybe I have it wrong:o oops.

Of course we are very casual when eating in the Horizon court....not swim suits, but more casual.

Princess44 - Thanks for the quick reply. I agree about dressing up while on a cruise - it adds to the whole allure. I am just trying to lighten up the luggage load - I promised myself that I would pack less this time, so I was debating about the Sportcoat. On our last cruise (Celebrity Constellation '03) there were several Semi-Formal nights in addition to the formal ones. That meant both Tux and Sportcoat.

Happy Sailing

I vote for doing away with the Sportcoat:p My husband will wear the tux or suit, but said he'd rather not wear the sportcoat on the regular dinner nights.:)

They did away with the semi formal and replaced it with "smart casual" which, at the least would be sportshirt and casual pants, such as Dockers for men.

Ron

Let me quote from the Princess FAQ type booklet we just received..."if dress is smart casual dress as you would for a fine rerstaurant at home. Appropriate attire........trousers and open neck shirt for men.Jacket/tie is optional. Cut off t shirts, shorts and torn jeans are not permitted.

Let me quote from the Princess FAQ type booklet we just received..."if dress is smart casual dress as you would for a fine rerstaurant at home. Appropriate attire........trousers and open neck shirt for men.Jacket/tie is optional. Cut off t shirts, shorts and torn jeans are not permitted.

I read that too ! However, what the "book" says isn't always what the "people" do ! I was just wondering how widespread was the optional jacket/tie.

How long is a piece of string.........what happened last week is not necessarily a guide to next week. FWIW I did not and will not take a jacket or tie other than a black tux (and a white one if there is room!) and black tie. If I look out of place coz all the table mates(male) are wearing sports jackets they can like it or lump it!!!

How long is a piece of string.........what happened last week is not necessarily a guide to next week. FWIW I did not and will not take a jacket or tie other than a black tux (and a white one if there is room!) and black tie. If I look out of place coz all the table mates(male) are wearing sports jackets they can like it or lump it!!!

A sports jacket is not required for smart casual and I have seen only a few men wearing them on our recent cruises.

Ron

I wear a polo shirt (you know the ones with a collar and short opeing with three buttons), and Mexx casual slacks on smart casual nights. My wife says I should wear an actual shirt. This would be the clothing I would wear to the office on a smart casual day to deal with the public. I haven't been denied entry to the dining room but of course I don't want to stand out or be the odd ball. I'd be interested in seeing the perspcetive of others.

"Smart casual" is, IMHO, really pretty casual as long as you are dressed cleanly and neatly.

I'm in jeans and shirts for work every day so I like to put on a casual dress for dinner. I bring several lightweight jersey dresses that pack flat and don't weigh much. But that's me. :)

Just returned from the Golden Western Europe, all nights were smart casual except for the 2 formals. While people were more dressed up in general for evening dining there were still some wearing jeans. Note that we were personal choice and dined early in the evening. Not sure how it was later in the night:)

Just returned from the Golden Western Europe, all nights were smart casual except for the 2 formals. While people were more dressed up in general for evening dining there were still some wearing jeans. Note that we were personal choice and dined early in the evening. Not sure how it was later in the night:)

We were on the sailing before cnmiranda's and would ditto this statement, except that we were in 2nd seating traditional. Formal night was a little bit more formal than our Alaska cruises have been (more tuxes and long gowns, less sundresses and sports coats), but smart casual was the same, mostly men in dockers and polo shirts or button-down shirts. Very very few ties or sports coats.

I wear a polo shirt (you know the ones with a collar and short opeing with three buttons), and Mexx casual slacks on smart casual nights. My wife says I should wear an actual shirt. This would be the clothing I would wear to the office on a smart casual day to deal with the public. I haven't been denied entry to the dining room but of course I don't want to stand out or be the odd ball. I'd be interested in seeing the perspcetive of others.

Regrettably I have to agree with your DW. A polo shirt is perhaps a little to casual rather than smart casual. I wouldn't but its your call

Regrettably I have to agree with your DW. A polo shirt is perhaps a little to casual rather than smart casual. I wouldn't but its your call

There are some nice dressy polo's out there. I wear a black cashmere one on some of the nights with a pair of nice slacks..

I realize the OP was male and asking about use of a sportcoat but being female I was on the watch for what women were wearing on our recent Coral cruise through the Panama. Almost no jacketsfor the men, they were pretty casual but never saw jeans. Women on the other hand were much more "dressed" than the men. Smart casual meant coordinated outfits down to color of shoes. Lots of glitz and glitter on blouses and tops. Very few plain tees and pants. Pretty dresses, lots of jewelry and fancy sandels made most women look dressed up. We had second seating, traditional, and I actually chose not to wear some rather plain combo's that I brought. I just used them for daytime and dressed up more for smart casual. Hope this helps.

There's nothing wrong with a Polo shirt and Dockers on smart-casual night. I'd say, on all three lines we've been on, that a good portion of the men were dressed like that or similar. If you want to dress it up a bit, put on a nicer pair of slacks with the polo shirt.

Archived