Wifi in Norway

We will be doing a Midnight sun cruise in June and we will buy some ship's internet minutes. However, my understanding is that there are many outages once we get above the Arctic Circle or are deep in the fjords. We will use ship's minutes for those quick email bursts (getting and receiving mail). However, DH LOVES his Wall Street Journal (ecopy) and he will have quite a few days at sea to read it. Last year's cruise taught me that it takes 10-15 minutes to download an issue using ship's wifi...which starts getting both pricey and more difficult to maintain a connection. So we will be looking for free wi-fi in the following ports to download his issues and then he can read them later:

Flam, Tromso, Honningsvag, Kirkenes, Gravdal, Geiranger and Bergen. I did read McDonalds in Bergen has free wifi. Any other suggestions? Do TI offices have free wifi?

A lot of restaurants and cafes in Norway offer free WiFi. I'm pretty sure most Burger Kings do, as do many Wayne's Coffee. However, a lot of local places do as well.

You will have a tough time in Gravdal, since there's really not much at all near the tender pier. If you do a tour or travel beyond the pier area on your on or on a tour, you might find some somewhere.

Otherwise, if you stop in somewhere for a coffee or a bite to eat, and they have a WiFi network that's locked, I'd recommend asking the staff if it's possible to use it. Sometimes they set up a password just to keep non-customers from using it, and sometimes they'll just let you use their private network anyway if you're not going to be using much bandwidth.

Archived