Returning Baltic cruisers - How much time did you spend at Frederiksborg & Kronborg?

swdke

I may be in the minority here, but by this time in the cruise we were pretty tired of castles. The drive was wonderful and I really enjoyed the countryside. The outside of the castles were fun to photograph and explore around. The inside was not very impressive to me and I have a great love for antiques.

My husband just could not walk through another castle or palace so he went off on his own. We were on an organized tour, but I did the castles on my own at a much quicker pace. Afterwards, I met him outside and walked through town on our own and visited local shops (I was so impressed with both of these castles that I don't recall which was which. One was in town and the other was not. It was the in town one where we went off on our own). We had the most fun going to the local grocery store and buying snack foods that were very different from what we were use to.

Not sure this really answered your question. Sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the 9am train to Helsignor to visit the Kronborg castle the day of our ships departure so we were not tired of castles yet! We arrived a little before 10 and walked to the castle from the train station. It was about a 20 minute walk along the waterfront. We spent about 2 1/2 hours touring the castle then had lunch outdoors at a restaurant there at the castle. Walked back to the station, arrived back in Copenhagen around 3pm picked up our luggage and taxied to the ship, on by 4pm. It was a very nice day trip.

Mary

We left the ship and got a train around 10:30. to Hillerod. We got the bus to the castle and it really saved time and energy. We saw the castle which was quite beautiful and had an impressive chapel and walked the grounds and then headed for Helsingor. There we had ice cream and walked to the castle along the water. There we just made it into an English tou . After the tour we did the casements and the Maritime Museum. I would probably tell others to skip these unless you really want to walk inside the walls.We got the train back to Copenhagen and arrived there about 5. It was a great train ride. We got the suggested train but it was an express so we could not get off to see the deer park. We really were not sure we had the energy to do it anyway, but we did walk the very crowded shopping street when we got back in the city. It was quite a contrast to the idyllic day we had in the country. We did not really push for time and so it took 6 1/2 hours.

Hi Steve,

I went to Fredericksborg & Kronberg on a Sunday and I do not recommend going then because Hillerod & Helsingor are pretty well shut down on Sunday. Still got into both castles and enjoyed both but really preferred Fredericksborg. Left Copenhagen Hovenbanhavn around 9:30am and walked from Hillerod station to castle which took about 20 minutes. It was a great walk because I went through the town and was able to take a teriffic picture from across the small lake that separates the town from the castle. I spent 1.5 hours at the castle. I agree with cadreamer's timing but was not able to see the chapel at Fredericksborg. They were having a private mass the day I was there. I am told that it is really special. You can take Bus #701 or #702 back to Hillerod station for local train (track 26) to Helsingor. It took about 40 minutes to get to Helsingor. Got off and went to ice cream parlor that is listed on site and then walked through part of town to Kronborg. This is a medieval castle and very basic. The structure is impressive and very well built but the interior decorations are sparse because they reflect a much earlier part of history. They are not as elegant as castles constructed in the 19th Century. Visited Maritime Museum which was interesting & Casements which were damp, dark and cold. You can imagine what the guards and prisoners experienced living under the castle. If you want to see all buy tickets for all at same time or it will cost you more. I took train back to Copenhagen and got back around 4pm. If you are going to be in Copenhagen before or after the cruise then this is doable. It is very busy day if you want to go when you are in port for the day. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cory

Hi Cory, thanks for the great review of Frederiksborg and Kronborg castles, you were very descriptive and brought back the memories. I had been to both several times, but it's been a while and I kind of forgot how much time it takes to walk through. I have a tight schedule with so much to see and do in such a short time. I was thinking of visiting on a Sunday myself, but now I understand that due to church sevices, the chapel might be closed. I'll have to take a look at my itinerary and see if maybe I can be there in the afternoon. Sounds like you had a great time visiting these castles, I can't wait to show them to my parents. Thanks Cory.

Dear Steve,

Happy that I could help you refresh your memory. You were so helpful when I was planning my trip that I am happy to help in any way. Have a wonderful trip!

Regards,

Cory

Archived