Taking someone else's child with us..what letter do I need?

wework2play

I can't get through to Carnival's lovely customer service department, so I'm hoping CC can help me!

My son's friend wants to cruise with us next week, and his dad has sole custody of him. I've read stuff on here about getting permission letters with both parents signatures, but I have not paid much attention because it never pertained to me. Does anyone know what I will need to have?

Google it, you will find a form you can print off. Take it to a notary (cheaper) or lawyer to get it notarized. Notaries in Canada cost 20 bucks but I heard in the states it is way cheaper.

I am thinking about not getting it notarized when I travel this summer as I have done this 4 times (4 different trips) and have never been asked for this letter ever. Has anyone ever been asked to see the letter and questioned on whether it was notarized?

I can't get through to Carnival's lovely customer service department, so I'm hoping CC can help me!

My son's friend wants to cruise with us next week, and his dad has sole custody of him. I've read stuff on here about getting permission letters with both parents signatures, but I have not paid much attention because it never pertained to me. Does anyone know what I will need to have?

On NCL there's a parental permission slip you can download. On a carnival cruise my friends and I took 2 years ago, my friend just typed up a permission letter, had both parents sign it, and had it notorized. She also brought the child's passport and a copy of her birth certificate. Look in CCL website though, they should have a permission slip that you can print out.

An addition you will need to the letter the father signs granting you authority to travel with his son and to make medical decisions for the son is a statement saying that he (the father) has sole legal custody of the son. Otherwise, the question will arise as to why the mother did not sign the letter and that could cause you problems.

The second letter from the link below could easily be amended to reflect that the father has sole legal custody of the child and is the only parent required to authorize permission for the son to travel. After the , just change the wording to say, "Who Has Sole Legal Custody of Said Minor Child, Do Hearby Authorize" and at the end, instead of "Signature of Surviving Non-Traveling Birth Parent", use, "Signature of Parent with Sole Legal Custody of Minor Child".

http://www.freewebs.com/docdiva/Minor%20Travel%20Consent.pdf

We did this last year with my daughters friend. We had a letter signed by both of her parents, since they share custody. Carnival never asked for it, but when we got off in NY and went through customs there, they asked for the letter and actually asked her a few questions. I was glad we had it!

We are taking our DD's best friend with us in a few weeks, and we have a notarized letter for DD from her father giving permission to travel out of the country. We also have notarized letters from BOTH of DD's friend's parents giving permission to travel out of the country, and giving us authority to make medical decisions.. etc. Her parents are divorced, and live in different states... so being the overly cautious person I am, we are also having DD's friend bring with her a copy of her birth certificate and proof that her mother is her mother (different last names). I am sure none of this will be necessary, but how terrible if something so simple prevented her from taking the trip?

Sunnyday, an 18-year-old is legally an adult even though the cruise line may have special rules for booking, cabins, etc. for those under 25. The letter referred in this thread applies only for minors. You don't need a letter.

I'm glad someone asked. My DS is bringing his GF on our upcoming cruise and she is 18, will be almost 19 by then. She has her passport, and I was considering doing a permission letter in case of an emergency.

Archived