Good snowbird location in Florida for a cruise lover

hsaroya

We live in a western suburb of Ft Lauderdale and can't wait to move! :( It's congested and the road construction is everywhere and seems to be going on forever. It is nice to be so close to the cruise ports but we are going to eventually move west of Orlando around the Hernando- Lake Mary region. About an hour each way to either Tampa or Orlando, (bit further to the port) and 4 hours to Ft Lauderdale.

2005 saw extensive hurricane damage to Florida's interior especially around Orlando so it can happen. Jacksonville is a very nice area also, more crowded than central Florida but lots of nice neighborhoods. It is a bit further from the big ports, about 5.5 hours to Ft Lauderdale.

Good luck with your search and stay warm!

Thank you for confirming that Central Florida/Orlando area can be affected by a hurricane. I have a friend that lives near WDW and she had damage and flooding from a hurricane about a year ago. So I will stick with my statement that the entire state of Florida is a hurricane zone.

Thank you for confirming that Central Florida/Orlando area can be affected by a hurricane. I have a friend that lives near WDW and she had damage and flooding from a hurricane about a year ago. So I will stick with my statement that the entire state of Florida is a hurricane zone.

Yea, the whole state may be a "hurricaine zone", however Central Fla/Orlando area not as much as the coast. Lived in the Orlando area 50 Years (born here:D) Bad hurricaines in Central FL

1964 - Donna ( I don't really remember this one as I was only 6 at the time)

2003?? Charlie, Frances and I don't remember the 3rd one that summer.

Other than that, not much more than wind and rain.

The Villages is wonderful! Seniors ride around in golf carts and dance in the street at night. :D

The Villages is LARGE enough to have its own zip code and is actually a town in Florida ... just outside of Orlando. There are rentals there and it's totally worth at least checking out. Being there is like being on vacation every day!

LuLu

~~~~

Archived