Another Celebrity customer service whine

Petoonya

On the other hand they can't afford NOT TO ! all it takes is one exec from a major corporation to get his nose out of joint and he pulls all corporate business from that carrier. You are right though - Corporations today expect too much from their employees for the way they treat them and the pendulum is going to come back and hit them in the arse.

"call back 5 times to reservations, to get a rep that handles his reservation right"

That's exactly what it takes when you get a "customer no-service rep" on the line. Hang up, go get another cup of coffee (or whatever), and call again. Repeat the process until you connect with someone who understands the concept of customer service. If such a pesron doesn't exist within the organization, you're dealing with the wrong organization.

Hi Pet,

Good to know the Celebrity came through for you. They took great care of me after I let the top brass know of my displeasure with customer service. In fact I had an awesome cruise and am a happy Celebrity customer, that is when I can get the time off to cruise.

Have a wonderful Med cruise.

and as I've said before "that is what redial was invented for".

"call back 5 times to reservations, to get a rep that handles his reservation right"

That's exactly what it takes when you get a "customer no-service rep" on the line. Hang up, go get another cup of coffee (or whatever), and call again. Repeat the process until you connect with someone who understands the concept of customer service. If such a pesron doesn't exist within the organization, you're dealing with the wrong organization.

I have a couple of friends who work for customer service of a vbig company and they have ulcers dealing with the griopes and whines of custoers.

Not to excuse rude or uncaring behavior from the poeople we have a right to expect help from. But sometimes you have to remember that you may have gotten hold of someonewho has just been raked over the coals by an insensitive and always complaining customer.

A little courtesy and a little patience go a long way to grease the wheels of travel. Would we all could remember that.

Cheers

Jody

I had EXACTLY the same situation with Celebrity TODAY. I called because I noticed a REFUND of $58 on my account. After spending 25 minutes on hold the very rude no-service-representative told me I'd have to wait while they sorted it out. Then she had the nerve to inform me that I OWED $58. WHAT?!?!?

Turns out that they cancelled a shore excursion and refunded it twice. Therefore if I didn't pay RIGHT NOW my cruise would be cancelled. FOR THEIR MISTAKE?!?? Yep.

When I asked for the shore excursion desk to find out why they cancelled my excursion, I was told that they didn't cancel it... I did. Uh, no folks! Once that got sorted out (another 15 minutes on hold) they admitted their mistake (of course--NO apology) and requested that I pay their extortion--I mean, fee.

Not so fast--can I book another excursion to replace the one that they cancelled? "Nope, we don't cancel excursions." Then how did I get to this circular hell to start with????? Lord, deliver me from Celebrity!!!

I don't think I'll be booking another Celebrity Cruise since this one was nearly free because of their last customer service nightmare. We agreed to give them another chance and this is how we're rewarded? Best of luck to those of you who love X... I'm Xing them off my list! :D

Were this me - I would document this , hopefully with names of the rude agents and send it to Royal Caribbean HQ attn Mr. Richard Fain. Of course I would skip the last sentence - but I would let him know how the CSR's and Shorex folks treat the paying customers. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks HermanG!

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but when the cruise line representatives are habitually rude and nasty (mind you I'm a Southern gal--my manners won't allow me to return rudeness with the same) I find my frustration levels go through the roof. I'll just abide but what my momma told me in the future and if I can't say anything nice...

Thanks for allowing me to vent, Cruise Critics! ;)

after 13 years as a CSTR for UPS. People that shipped ground to Claifornia & expect it there overnight not a week. I was even electocuted during a bad storm when lightnight hit the phonepole & we typing on our computers with headsets on felt a sharp rip down our right side. 14 of us were rushed to the hospital as we sat non-comcummicating with anyone. I have lost part of my hearing thanks to them & do not see a cent til I am 65!

So far I have had excellent folks both in Exec offices as well as CC area.

I was even electocuted during a bad storm when lightnight hit the phonepole & we typing on our computers with headsets on felt a sharp rip down our right side. 14 of us were rushed to the hospital as we sat non-comcummicating with anyone. I have lost part of my hearing thanks to them & do not see a cent til I am 65!

Now THAT'S taking one for the team! I hope my boss doesn't read that and think WE should be going to that level of service. You're a trooper!

I was also double charged for our deposit, and I did book through a TA, so it can happen even when not booking direct...

Unlike with Pet, however the double deposited on my creditcard was credited the following day. I was not even aware of the double charge until I received my statement.

I can see any company having one bad/new/ having a bad day, rep but it seems to me if you have to call more than twice ( three times if you want to be extra nice) to get a rep who knows how to do their job, you are already dealing with the wrong company.

Someone who can not maintain a polite demenor in spite of having to deal with annoying customers does not belong in a customer service job. Neither does someone who can not speak intelligible English when working in an English speaking country.

I suspect the reason you get poor service reps is because the company does not pay enough to attract good people to the jobs. If they do pay more of course somewhere down the line it will show up in our cruise fares, so maybe that is the trade off. Maybe Celebrity, RCI and NCL are all just mass market lines that compete for customers mostly on price and cut corners where they think they can to save a buck.

Has anyone had any experience with customer service at Radisson, Crystal or Seabourn? Are they any better?

I laughed when I read about the reference to "industry standard" from 25in99. I got the same kind of baloney response from Princess when they added another sailing prior to our Inaugural sailing aboard the Diamond.

When dealing with customers, you can try to cover for your mistakes (say something is standard in the business) or do the right thing, apologize, and correct the problem. As long as customers are properly informed with all of the relevant facts, they can make their own decision. But it seems as though the mass market cruise lines are simply more interested in their own commercial agenda and damn the customer.

I suggest that each time you have to call them, Celebrity or any other business, remember that you are not the first person they've spoken with, and that perhaps the caller before you had an "attitude" and the rep is on the defensive. So, put the rep at ease with something like this:

"I have a problem. i hope you will be able to help me or refer me to the proper person because i can't figure it out."

instead of making assumptions: "You people are screwed up and don't know what you are doing." That tone of voice would set off the human being on the other end of the phone unless he/she were superhuman. Treat them like people.

Use "I" messages. Tell how you are feeling instead of telling them how bad a job someone else in their outfit screwed up (but the human inclination is to feel the caller is accusing the rep being spoken to). You'll be amazed at the change in their tone of voice when you kindly ask for help instead of making a demand. Keep your demand on hold until you get to someone in authority. The rep has very little authority. Treat him/her nicely.

2) Calmly state the problem without condemnation or pressure. Just the facts. Ask how this can be remedied, preferably by asking that person's help.

"I see a 58 dollar credit and i can't figure it out. Do you know what this can mean?"

that leaves them room to be the solver.

What I am actually saying is for the customer to take the bull by the horns by using the "techniques" that the customer service rep is supposed to know how to do.

From what I have read on these boards, it does sound as if the company needs to send their reps to some customer service classes BEFORE they let them loose on the public. Without knowing some "tools" the reps can get very flustered and speak out of turn!

My two cents from a former teacher and supervisor of an airline ticket office.

Most companies run a CSR boot camp to weed out potential problem employees and I know in my last company washout rate was very high - partly because the company treated the CSR's like a piece of horse turd and partly because beingg in the Health Insurance field - when you are calling the CSR it isusually because the company denied your claim. What companies fail to understand is that the CSR is usually the first impression a company makes on a customer. And we all know you rarely get a second chance to make a first impression. In the case of a Health Insurance company

the customers are pretty much captives as their employers only deal with Insurance company A. In the case of a cruise line - I can take my business anywhere and the sooner the brass understands that and empowers the CSR's to help the person calling with a problem - the sooner IMHO the company will be more successful. Screw the Metrics its's people we are dealing with not how many people we can handle in 3 min or less.

Very intresting article on Customer Service and what some of the Airlines, hotels and car rental companies are doing to improve customer service - maybe Celebrity and Royal Caribbean should take note

Screw the Metrics its's people we are dealing with not how many people we can handle in 3 min or less.

You tell them HermanG!

In all fairness, I have to say that today I tried once again to "fix" my problem with Celebrity and got someone that certainly understands customer service. They never once told me they "can't do" something. They simply fixed the problem as I have been asking (nee, begging!) them to do all along. They took the time to understand what I was telling them, rather than shutting down to my concerns. Thank you Celebrity Shore Excursion Department! :)

Went on the Sun Princess in December and had tremendous problems. Contacted customer service after the cruise with both the good and the bad with no assistance. They even ruined a brand new piece of luggage and were unwilling to fix it or replace it which the pursar had promised us they would do. I will not be sailing Princess again.

We have a store in Ct known as Stew Leonards - worlds largest Dairy Store.

In the front of the store there is a stone engraved with two rules.

Rule 1 - The customer is always right

Rule 2 - If the customer is wrong - refer to rule 1 or something like that.

Every employee is empowered to make it right - if you get a bad piece of meat bring it back no questions asked etc. Do a google search if you have the time - and iff you happen to live in the New York Area and have never been there - try it. They run Stew U a place where execs from other companies learn about how to be customer focused.

Archived