Hooking up Media Server to TV

Riggspsk

Hello to all!

My wife and I are going to be on our first cruise with Oceania on April 18, on the Marina.

I have a Dune media player... think of it as an Apple TV like device except I have all the movies and TV shows I want to watch on an external hard drive attached to this.

My cabin is an A2 type cabin.

What are the hookups for the TV in that cabin? HDMI, component?

Also is there a receptacle near by the tv I can use? Is it 110, or 230?

I tried calling oceania directly but they couldn't understand what I wanted... they kept saying.. "The TV can play Blu-rays" lol.

Any and all help will be much welcomed!!!!

Welcome to O and to CC.

From other threads on this board where pax want to hook up to view their photos I understand the ports are not functional so perhaps Customer Service was correct when "they kept saying.. "The TV can play Blu-rays"" as that, and TV itself of course, is the limit.

They do have about 700 DVD movies etc for viewing in your cabin

I think you get them in reception

I did not have time on the Marina cruise to check it out

In addition to the extensive DVD library, there were 5 movie channels on the TV showing movies 24 hrs a day - many of them first run films. There was a movie schedule in the cabin listing a day-by-day schedule for the whole cruise. This was on Riviera but I'm sure Marina is similar.

Bringing along 900 movies and around 30 complete tv shows... way to lazy to rent things these days.

The ones on the ship are FREE

cannot imagine spending all that money to sit watching movies in the cabin

To each his own I guess ;)

Lazy meaning thinking about what to get before coming back to cabin. We have cable at home, but hardly ever watch it anymore, why be forced into watching something when you have the option of your hearts desire? Mostly we just like to fall asleep with something on the tv, and lately i've been having insomnia.

Plus I'm a geek at heart. I consider this another badge of honor and something to brag about.

Lazy meaning thinking about what to get before coming back to cabin. We have cable at home, but hardly ever watch it anymore, why be forced into watching something when you have the option of your hearts desire? Mostly we just like to fall asleep with something on the tv, and lately i've been having insomnia.

Plus I'm a geek at heart. I consider this another badge of honor and something to brag about.

Although I also noticed that some of the input Jacks on the televisions had not been blocked on Marina & Riviera, as they had universally been on the older ships, you may want to bring your own viewing screen if using that media server is important to you, because Oceania is adamantly against the connection of Guest Electronics to the Cabin TV's, which is also the case in almost every hotel that I have ever stayed in.

This is a direct quote from the Head Office in Miami, and if all access is not blocked currently, this sounds like it soon will be:

• "Guests are not allowed to connect to the TV sets.

• Whether the HDMI are working or not on the TV’s themselves, Guests are not allowed to connect anything to the TV’s.

• Connecting to the TV with a guest appliance is not a service that we offer".

We are bringing our 7" tablets (with micro SD slots) along with a handful of cards....1200+ movies in all. But we won't need the hdmi on the screen, we can watch our movies on our individual tablets while lying in bed at night, each using our own headphones. Makes it easier on both of us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33487331&postcount=7

1. Guests are not allowed to connect to the TV sets.
  2. Whether the HDMI are working or not on the TV’s themselves, Guests are not allowed to connect anything to the TV’s.
  3. Connecting to the TV with a guest appliance is not a service that we offer".

Pathetic comes to mind :(

because Oceania is adamantly against the connection of Guest Electronics to the Cabin TV's, which is also the case in almost every hotel that I have ever stayed in.

You've never stayed at a Marriott? In fact it is quite the opposite as it is a standard at Marriott that each hotel provide virtually every possible connection for the guest to use in attaching his/her laptop or whatever to the room television.

Archived