La Boqueria Barcelona - what can I bring on ship

vmjp

I'd like to visit La Boqueria market during our NCL Epic stop in Barcelona. Can anyone advise on the restrictions on what I can bring back on the ship? I would mainly want to bring back cheeses and wines.

This is really a question for the NCL forum or for the cruise line.

If I remember correctly NCL allows you to bring on wine but charge you corkage for all bottles brought onboard. Anyway, the market is probably not the best place to buy your wine. You would be better at Carrefour Express a little further up Las Ramblas.

Some cruise lines allow you to only bring onboard food that is completely wrapped in its original wrapper. This might be difficult in the market.

Anyway, the market is probably not the best place to buy your wine. You would be better at Carrefour Express a little further up Las Ramblas.

Could you give me an idea where on Las Ramblas this would be, walking from the Placa Catalunya. Also is there a place to get toiletries in the area, as we are travelling for a week precruise, and don't want to bring everything with us. Thank you.

The Carrefour supermarket is roughly 100 metres from Placa Catalunya.

It is on your right as you walk towards the bay. It is quite a large supermarket which sells most things, including toiletries. It is not open on a Sunday.

I believe that you can take bottles of wine about an NCL ship, but you will be charged $15 corkage per bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Jade. I can tell you NCL policy is no food can be brought back on board.

I have usually purchased pastries, some other food items in ports, like nuts to have with a drink on our balcony, some time street foods we enjoy to have instead of going to the MDR. Have done so on many cruise lines including Princess, Celebrity, HAL and Cunard. So I really don't understand NCL's policy.

I had read about the policy before our cruise, so I came prepared with plastic bags. We did buy nuts in Turkey, some pastry in Israel, I resisted buying street foods. We did not buy any wine in port which we usually do since they charge a corking fee at the dock on NCL. We usually drink the wine in our cabin. We were not that impressed with NCL's MDR or the comfort food, so skipped the MDR. We drank beer instead. Beer is actually cheaper than the "cheap" wine sold at high prices on board most ships. We enjoyed our cruise... picked up what we liked at the buffet and enjoyed a late lunch on our balcony with our beer.

I'm on RCL and sure hope that isn't the policy. I don't care for ship food and was hoping to bring croissants and other munches for the ports for breakfast/snacks...

Do not know about RCCL, the only cruise line I have seen this on is NCL. They are big into the speciality restrauants so suspect that is the motivation, since this is non issue on other lines.

Archived