When to book next cruise? Right now? While on our cruise?

epwv82

I've never sailed with NCL, but we're very excited for our cruise in January 2014. So excited that I'm already researching 2015 cruises. My mom has always sailed on RCCL, and they have a special that if you book your next cruise while aboard your current cruise, the deposit is only $100, you get certain OBC, things like that. Does NCL do this? Would it be smarter for us to just wait until our cruise to book the next one?

I would wait!!

You can't book on board with NCL, but you can buy a future cruise credit for $250 and you will get an immediate $100 credit to your on board account for the sailing you are on (making the cost of the credit really only $150. This credit is good for a total deposit on a future cruise. (must be 6 days or longer, will expire in 4 years but is transferrable to anyone).

However, if you book now you get extra latitude points for booking 9 months prior to the cruise. You might be getting a great rate, and you have time to watch for price drops and request OBC for them. Its a gamble and a crap shoot.

Have a great cruise! What you actually need to do is book something cheap for the fall and buy the FCC then, that way you can book the 2015 cruise early and use the future cruise credit. :D

Since you're already looking for 2015 and don't sail on your current booked cruise for quite a few months still, I would go ahead and book the 2015 cruise you like when NCL holds a sale that you like. They will sometimes offer a "$250 down payment" or "free upgrade to a balcony in some categories" or similar special. Being that far out, I'd book when the price is right for you. If you have not booked by the time of your next cruise, then by all means buy the FCC that was mentioned in the previous post and use it once you do find a cruise to your satisfaction. But if you wait until 2014 just to get that FCC, you might actually miss a lower price on a 2015 cruise. It's a bit of a guessing game.

Thanks guys. I'll just keep watching til I find something that sounds awesome. I'd love to book something cheap for fall, but my work schedule, and my boyfriends, is pretty crazy, and January is probably the least busy time of year for our family business. Who knew people didn't like to buy mattresses in January? lol. My birthday is in February, but I will never be able to enjoy it on board a cruise ship :(

Archived