Peterhof/Petrovorets from St Pb. with RO

We are trying to work out an itinerary with Red October which includes a visit to Peterhof (aka Petrovorets)

They have suggested the fountains/gardens combined with Monplaisir, (one of the buildings in the grounds) a favourite modest house of Peter, instead of the fountains/gardens combined with the actual Palace interior.

Red O seem to think that the modest house more charming and less overly gilded/baroque than the Palace. Thinks we might have seen too much gold elsewhere by then and might appreciate a simpler style.

And is it worth going inside either of them? Would extra time in the gardens be a better option?

Have any of you who have been with Red October to Peterhof got any comments/opinions which might help us decide?

Our RO group did the gardens and monplasir house. We did not do the Peterhof Palace (not sure what we might have missed in there). The monplasir house is lovely and not as ornate as either the Summer (Catherine's) Palace or the Winter Palace (Hermitage) that we had visited the day before. We spent about 2 hours at Peterhof and then left for a boat ride on the rivers of St. Petersburg followed by a visit to the Yushopov (?sp) Palace (which was fascinating). You only have so much time; you're gonna have to decide what you are willing to miss.

We visited Peterhof on May 22 with RO. They originally suggested Monplaisir but someone told us they didn't called it Grand Palace for no reason. We insisted we did that and we had no regrets. It was beyond grandeur. I w'd visit Monplaisir if I go to St petersburg again but I wdn't miss the Grand Palace if it's your 1st time visit. It is the grandest of them all, in my opinion. When you're actually there you can see that the rest of the palace buildings are much smaller compared to the Grand Palace. Do check it out on the official Peterhof website. Sorry I don't remember it. Not difficult to find tho.

It's http://www.peterhof.org. I struggled with this decision too and still have mixed feelings. The Grand Palace at Peterhof is similar to Catherine's Palace at Pushkin, which we will also be visiting. But if we don't go to the Grand Palace at Peterhof, I think we'll all feel like we're missing something. If you're not going to Catherine's Palace, I would suggest definitely that you do the Grand Palace at Peterhof. If you're going to both like we are, the decision is more difficult. I understand that the smaller palaces have different architects and designers, so they have their own charms, but Peterhof Grand Palace and Catherine's Palace both have the same architect, so they are similar in style. It's a shame we can't see all of them, but time is limited, so we decided to go with the Grand Palace at Peterhof for our Denrus tour.

Hope you have a great trip,

Donna

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

With the "other" company there was a specially arranged early morning entry to the Palace to avoid crowds. With RO, although they are quoting a supplementary charge for Palace v. Monplaisir, there is no mention of a specially arranged visiting time and we are scheduled to be there in the afternoon.

HOSER just how busy was it when you were there? Did you see long lines or really crowded interiors?

Just wondering, if by opting for the Palace and being there in the afternoon will mean we will lose precious time standing in line and pushing our way through the crowds once in.

If so, might we be better with the Monplaisir option or even spending more time in the gardens?.

Welcoming thoughts on this from anyone. So many on this forum have used RO that there must be lots of you out there!!! Slightly urgent as we leave next weekend and need to agree something with RO before then.

Thanks

We were very lucky at Peterhof. We're the 2nd group to arrive, right behind another small group of less than 10. We had early admission anyway. We had the palace to ourselves for a long while before the rest of the people caught up. May be that's why we have a special feeling for that place. By the time we left the building and went to the grounds, there were lots of people there. But since we're 1 of the earliest sailings, it was never really crowded.

BTW, I found the RO store has a lot of variety of goods incl. Russian china, decorative plates, all sorts of dolls, stacking and traditional, laquer boxes, amber, scarves, the CCCP T-shirts and old army wear ( better quality than the street vendor's which shrank so bad), and everything the street vendors have, and they're priced very reasonably. A bit more so than the street market which we went later, but the quality is much better. Definitely a lot cheaper than the ship's and cheaper than the palace or museum store . We also went to another department store, ( forgot the name) smaller than RO's and the price is also very reasonable. Both stores offer clean washrooms, free coffee, volka and chocolates.

If you're interested in Russian icons, Tallin is the place to go. Go to real antique stores where they have their own inventory and will give certificate of authenicity ( for what it's worth) We were at a couple of antique stores that they sold them on a consignment basis and would not gurantee anything. Cheaper but I'm not sure if they're genuine.

Thank you for that Hoser, lots of useful info there.

We are scheduled a brief shopping stop at the RO shop. Sounds like it might be the best place to buy and time is short anyway.

We have decided to ask RO about switching to Grand Palace, whether or not we do might depend on whether there is early entry or walk in entry. We just cant afford time standing in line.

Thanks everyone.

we too questioned Red October- We will be there on July 3 and 4. Based on their explanation we decided to defer to Red October on go to Monplaisir. I had emailed someone who had been worth Red October, and they enjoyed the contrast of Monplaisir with all of the ornate Palaces that they had seen.

I assume this is something like going to New Port, Rhode Island and missing the house where Jackie Kennedy grew up- because it wasn't an ornate mansion like the others.

Red October also said that the larger groups can't get into Monplaisir. In any case, I will report back, as I am due back on July 11.

Guest seattlelin

I understand Grand Palace is closed on Tuesday but for an extra fee you can arrange a tour there. I think Montplasir is substituted when the jGrand Palace is closed.

I will be in St Petersburg on July 26-27 and am looking for either a small group tour such as Red October to join or forming a small group tour through Red October. I would like to spend more time (e.g., 3-4 hours in the Hermitage, including the Gold Rooms). Does anyone have room in a small group tour on those dates or have interest in forming a small group tour?

Thanks

We're also there July 2 and 3. RO USA is not taking bookings and referred us to the RU site. I'm checking Denrus too. It's just the two of us so far.

Hemitage is closed Monday so factor that in, too.

Have been so busy arranging an itinerary with RO and the 2 people we found to share with us that I have not looked at this for some days. Its been a bit hectic with emails flying back and forth as we only started to organise this a few days ago.

We decided to go with Monplaisir for several reasons, one of which was that our ship not due in until 0800 and we might not be ashore before 08.30. Thats if these timings go to plan. Anyway, we would have had to switch G.P./Peterhof to the morning to get early entry before it officially opens, and we doubted whether that would actually happen with us being unsure of our start time that morning. We might have arrived to find it already open. We also didnt want to go into the GP in the afternoon when we are scheduled to be there if it meant lining up, as our time there is not overly generous for the amount there is to see. So, Monplaisir it is.

Whenzuc Our paths almost cross. You are there Mon 3rd and Tues 4th, we are there Fri 1st and Sat 2nd.

Seattlelin. Try a "roll call" on your ship. Its what I did and you never know your luck. There might even be others on there already.

2Martini. Same suggestion for you. Cant believe you are there Sat2nd and Sun3rd. You first day is our second day and your second day is the first for Whenzuc. How disappointing you could not have joined our group for one day and Whenzuc on the other! You could have had the 2 day itinerary and reduced the overall cost for us too. We are only 4. It would have been good to find another 2 or even 4 max, but it wasnt to be and at least its cheaper than for 2.

I guess it wouldnt work though. The ships might be berthed some distance from each other and have different timings for arriving and leaving. Still.....

I guess that the downside of cruising.

If you are prepared to pay for 2 if you cant find anyone before you sail, maybe you could ask RO if they can put others onto your group if you find them onboard?

we're going to go with Denrus. Maybe they'll find others for us. OUr ship is small. RO USA is on vacation now.

I'd be reluctant to try to hook up with others from another ship; too many variables in already unfamiliar territory. Has anyone tried it?

I go with the attitude that once I've made a decision (such as booking an excursion) I don't look back; it will be great and it will be worth it. Afterwards I disregard people who say "too bad you didn't see/do such and such."

We did the Mon Plaisir option which was a nice contrast to the more lavish palaces. Mon Plaisir was Peter the Great's place while the Grand Palace was redone by Catherine's "interior decorator" Rastrelli who also did Catherine's Palace. I believe he also had a hand in the winter palace which you'll see if you stop at the Hermitage (which you should do).

If you've ever done trips where you visit castle after castle (such as the Loire Valley) or estate after estate (English manors) or church after church, you know the feeling that your eyes are starting to glaze over. The RO itinerary was a nice combination of different sights with historical significance for different time periods.

CMI

Excellent!

Our ship is also small, and a British ship which means fewer Brits on here to try to match up with.

I emailed both companies in SPB to ask if any others had been in contact, but both reported back that they had nobody.

Was lucky to get 2 on this sites roll calls.

Enjoy.

This is a big off topic, but it is your thread. :) Have you tried http://www.ship-happens.co.uk/ to find tour mates? I'm advised by my British friends that this is a good message board for British passengers. I love visiting with British passengers and wish we had some to add to our 8/27 Constellation private tour group. By the way, I love your home city and hope to visit again one day.

Happy travels to you,

Donna

Donna, thank you for that. Will explore it when we return. Leaving tomorrow.

Whenzuc, we have no idea of names. emails from RO refer only to "driver and guide". Comments from others indicate they are all good.

The RO guide and driver that we had are independent, not employees.

Our guide told us on the second day that she had been called by 4 different companies the prior evening looking for guides. Since the mammoth Princess came in to port the second day and there were two additional ships in town, I'm sure there was a last minute demand for more guides and drivers.

The guide we had was more knowledgeable and easier to understand than the one we had on our evening event through the ship.

Like edinb, I saw no negative comments on any of the private guides.

CMI

Denrus was good enough to give us a name and email address of someone on our ship doing a tour with them at the time. Working on it now.
We are on the Century leaving Amsterdam Aug.1 for 12 nights. We would like to hook up with others for a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg on RO or Den. Would appreciate a reply. Thanks, Bonnie

• 1 month later...

Archived