Advice Needed on Norwegian Currency

For our visit to Norway I ordered Norwegian Kroner from my bank, but the bank has given me all 500Nkr &100Nkr notes & I don't think that would be accepted when paying for an ice cream or a coffee.

I'm going to go back to the bank and ask for smaller denomination notes, but I'm not sure what would be the best to take with us. Also. would it be advisable to take any coins as well. Any suggestions welcome.

You'll have no problem using a 100 to buy I've cream or coffee, since they're typically around 20 NOK anyway. The 500 notes might annoy people in smaller shops, but you can use them at busier places. I've been known to use a 500 to buy a pack of gum at a busy convenience just to break it if I need to pay a friend in smaller notes.

You probably won't be able to get coins outside of Norway since most banks deal only in notes. But you don't need them unless you want to use a coin-op locker/toilet/etc.

You'll have no problem using a 100 to buy I've cream or coffee, since they're typically around 20 NOK anyway. The 500 notes might annoy people in smaller shops, but you can use them at busier places. I've been known to use a 500 to buy a pack of gum at a busy convenience just to break it if I need to pay a friend in smaller notes.

You probably won't be able to get coins outside of Norway since most banks deal only in notes. But you don't need them unless you want to use a coin-op locker/toilet/etc.

Thanks for the information, I'll go for all 100 NOK and try and get some coins when ashore.

Archived