Help-Merida and Dzibil. excursion

Cailey

Going to Progresso. Is this correct? Shuttle off pier. Catch bus or Taxi (which one and how) to Dzibilchaltun. Then to get back to Merida what do I take? And then how do I get back to the pier? Also, in Merida, what are some of the places that are nice to see? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We took the bus (this May) from the bus station in Progreso - no-one spoke English there, but they were very helpful. It was $1 each way for the 25 or so miles to Merida. Nice air-conditioned bus. That drops you at the bus station in Merida. We got maps off the internet before we went and walked around, maybe a couple of miles total. We ended up across from the Wal-Mart at the Fiesta Americana hotel, and got the concierge to get us a taxi to Dzibilchaltun - we negotiated the price from Merida to the ruins, wait for us 1 1/2 hours at the ruins, then to Progreso to the pier for $35 for the two of us - and we tipped him of course, later. He was an English speaking driver and told us everything we could possibly want to know about Merida and the area.

We could have taken the bus to Merida, bus to Dzilbilchaltun and back to Merida, then bus back to Progreso, but we knew we didn't have enough time.

We were in Progreso one week ago today. Got a taxi at the start of the long pier - prices are posted right there. $80 for 12 of us, all in one van, to Dzib. The driver gave us two hours there (be sure to tell your guide at the ruins you have only 2 hours). When he let us out of the van, he said we could go to Merida afterwards for an additional $40 total.

I posted a fuller review just a few hours ago; check below on this board.

ENJOY! I wish it had been cooler so we could have seen Merida, too.

Archived