Where is the Liberty?

spacepotatoes

I've been checking the POM webcam this morning and don't see the Liberty. I know there was a charter coming up for one of the Carnival ships out of Miami but can't remember if this was it or not. Google doesn't bring up any charters for Liberty this month.

The Celebrity Constellation seems to be missing, too. It's usually docked there on Saturdays, right beside Reflection.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Edited to add: I know that the camera feed doesn't show all ships, but I'm referring to the map below that, where you can hover over the symbols to see ship names.

Thanks! I see it. So weird that the map on the POM webcam site doesn't show it. It's normally pretty accurate.

If you scroll down the page under the camera, there's a map with the ships. Just hover your mouse over it and you will see who's who.

If you scroll down the page under the camera, there's a map with the ships. Just hover your mouse over it and you will see who's who.

I realize that. I referred to the map in both of my posts. But the map doesn't list the Liberty, that's what I was saying. It's got the Disney Wonder twice. I think one of those is supposed to the Liberty, judging by the ship's webcam.

Thanks! I see it. So weird that the map on the POM webcam site doesn't show it. It's normally pretty accurate.

Her AIS transponder may have been turned off while she was in port. If so, the map (powered by MarineTraffic.com) won't show her, temporarily.

I see this happening at St. Thomas ALLL the time. "Looks like there's just one ship docked; been like that for hours-- oh, wait, two more just appeared!"

Her AIS transponder may have been turned off while she was in port. If so, the map (powered by MarineTraffic.com) won't show her, temporarily.

I see this happening at St. Thomas ALLL the time. "Looks like there's just one ship docked; been like that for hours-- oh, wait, two more just appeared!"

Good to know, thanks! Last year, I tracked the Zuiderdam on the marinetraffic.com site for weeks before our cruise and there would be long periods when I'd get "not in range" errors. I wonder if it was the same issue. Although, it would happen at sea too, not just in port. Interesting.

Good to know, thanks! Last year, I tracked the Zuiderdam on the marinetraffic.com site for weeks before our cruise and there would be long periods when I'd get "not in range" errors. I wonder if it was the same issue. Although, it would happen at sea too, not just in port. Interesting.

Ships will frequently be 'out of range' when they are not near ports or coastlines; there has to be a receiving station to detect the ships' AIS transponder signals, and there are no receiving stations in the middle of the ocean. Some large ports, like Nassau, aren't always covered either.

For a look at the coverage area, go to www.marinetraffic.com and click on "World Map." You'll see the squares indicating where reporting stations are located. The open ocean is not typically covered.

Archived